XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Wheel Weight ? XF SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Kyu
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wheel Weight ? XF SC

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I couldn't find any information here on the forum and google.

I was looking for specific weight on the Stock OEM rims of the SC model I believe it's call 20" Draco Wheels.

I am trying to see if it's worth upgrading to lighter set depending on the weight of OEM wheels.

Does anyone know ? Please excuse my ignorance.

Also what is the widest rims/wheels can I get on offset without clearance problems on Mina Springs ? I emailed Mina Gallery for their advice as well.

I'm pretty sure I can't be the only owner who wants to get lighter rims/wheels
But seeing as I can't find any info.. is it possible that the OEM wheels are already in the light wheel category ?

I came across an Old tread where someone mentioned he had different than stock Offsets as he also likes the widest possible look, but he had an 08 XF wasn't sure if that'll work for me and wasn't sure if he had Stock Springs on

Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I know i have seen somewhere in Jaguar's literature the wheel sizes and the weights for each wheel.

I will look through some things and get back to you. But, if you want the lightest wheels, these are it @ 19 pounds each.

Aquilla wheels
Image Detail for - 2012 Jaguar XF X250 MY13 PREMIUM LUXURY Polaris White 8 Speed ...

Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Kyu

Originally Posted by Executive
I know i have seen somewhere in Jaguar's literature the wheel sizes and the weights for each wheel.

I will look through some things and get back to you. But, if you want the lightest wheels, these are it @ 19 pounds each.

Aquilla wheels
Image Detail for - 2012 Jaguar XF X250 MY13 PREMIUM LUXURY Polaris White 8 Speed ...

Thank you very much for that info
Wow 19 lbs sounds very appealing. are they 20" ?
and what is the fitment, if you do not mind me asking.

it looks like the OEM rims that are included with XF portfolio's Sports Package

Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

19 lbs sounds very light for what is likely a cast wheel. My 20 inch Selenas are 32 and 34 plus lbs for fronts and backs respectively.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Kyu

Originally Posted by jaguny
19 lbs sounds very light for what is likely a cast wheel. My 20 inch Selenas are 32 and 34 plus lbs for fronts and backs respectively.
Ah,
Thank you. Can You post a pic of your selenas ?
and also, is your Selenas Forged ? Excuse my ignorance, I'm still fairly new to Jags

Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Selena wheels - Bing

Above is a link to some Selena wheels. There an Jag OEM 20 inch wheel, mine are staggered, 8.5 inch front, 9.5 inch back. They are cast, as is typicall with most standard OEM wheels. Forged are a more expensive manufacturing and are usually a lighter wheel.

Which car and what wheel set up do you currently have?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Kyu

Ah, Cast I'm a alittle afraid of, Had bad experience with cast before.
I had a Advan RS 19" on my M3 and it bent during track, 2 of the 4 got bent.

Currently I have a 2012 XF SC, Everything stock
embarrassed but I don't even know what's the name of the wheels I have.
One of the reviews I found states it's a Cast Forged rim (Had me confused)

anyone know if its forged or cast ?

Trying to figure out it's weight to see if I want to keep them, or change out for aftermarket.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Can't be part cast and part forged unless it is at least a two part rim.

Factory wheels tend to be heavier than aftermarket for customer satisfaction reasons. Jaguar alloys are made in Italy and of good quality as far as I can tell. If you can find a 19 inch cast alloy wheel strong enough to use on the XF which weighs only 19 lbs get a set. I say not possible. The OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 cast alloys on my Audi weigh 17 lbs. Ultraleggera is Italian for ultra light and they truly are. More usually this size will be 20-25 lbs.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Kyu

Originally Posted by jagular
Can't be part cast and part forged unless it is at least a two part rim.

Factory wheels tend to be heavier than aftermarket for customer satisfaction reasons. Jaguar alloys are made in Italy and of good quality as far as I can tell. If you can find a 19 inch cast alloy wheel strong enough to use on the XF which weighs only 19 lbs get a set. I say not possible. The OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 cast alloys on my Audi weigh 17 lbs. Ultraleggera is Italian for ultra light and they truly are. More usually this size will be 20-25 lbs.
I was actually eyeing Ray's Volks wheels
Since it's the brand of choice for me for the BMW's
They were fantastic, very light and very durable.. Can't say much for their looks though, I'm not really into their JDM style rims.

My last set were 19x9.5 @ 19lbs and 19x10 @20 lbs
Forged so I'm hoping they have 20" with the offsets to work for the Jag, but Ultimately I'm trying to keep the car looking classy as it is.

I have been lately eyeing forgiato wheels but no where do they state weight. only description i can find any site was "Light Weight" lol

Before someone jumps in and asks why would I change then,
I really want to reduce the weight of the car, Yes so far the vehicle is perfect.
But with unsprung weight deduction, I think it'll handle and accelerate even better

and again Thanks Jagular, I'll keep looking into your recommendations

Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Forged is best, very expensive but that's because they cost a lot to make. Forged wheels are much lighter and much stronger than any cast wheel. It is ALWAYS a good idea to fit lighter wheels if they are also strong enough. Lightness in unsprung weight pays big dividends in handling, acceleration, braking and ride comfort. Don't forget to check tire weight as well, it is not smart to pay a ton of money for lightweight and strong forged wheels and then fit heavy tires. You'd be surprised how much weights of the same sized tires varies. Generally, cheaper tires are much heavier.

Unfortunately, the Ford wheel sizing used by Jaguar together with their specific offsets men's very few aftermarket wheels. Big Volvos use the same size bit I think offsets are inappropriate. Fwd and awd often use more offset than rwd.

For example, tire rack has one 20 inch wheel weighing 28 lbs or so, for my new awd XF. Made by BBS. The 20 inch OZ wheel that fits weighs 30 lbs.

Of course if you're really serious about reducing unsprung weight you fit smaller rims and larger tires because even aluminum is heavier than the air inside that larger tire.

Last edited by jagular; 03-18-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Page 189 in the pdf version of the manual.

http://www.jaguar.com/content/global..._02_40_122.pdf

The manual states it's very possible.

First number is in pounds, second in kg
Production options

Rear window blind 6.6 3.0

Climate seats 6 2.7

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) 3.1 1.4

Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) 1.5 0.7

Bower & Wilkins 600W Surround Sound audio system 13.2 6.0

Bower & Wilkins 1200W Surround Sound audio system 19.4 8.8

Wheels and tires

18 inch Vela wheels 0 0

18 inch Lyra wheels 6.2 2.8

19 inch Aquila wheels 11.5 5.2

19 inch Caravela wheels 35.3 16.0

19 inch Artura wheels 28.2 12.8

20 inch Hydra wheels 33.5 15.2

20 inch Nevis wheel 43.7 19.8

20 inch Draco wheels 35.7 16.2

Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Kyu

Ahhh so they're nearly 36lbs. Ty very much for that. Hopefully this thread would help others as well.

And yes the unsprung weight deduction is probably best ideal choice and IMHO best choice for performance upgrade from a vehicle such as the one I own. It's got the power now just need to balance the weight to perfect the performance.

Usually people overlook rims and wheels and as jaguar states the tires weight.
Many would be surprised how alive the vehicle becomes with a simple rim/wheel replacement.

I was also looking at bbs wheels on tire rack , have not chosen specific tires yet, was eyeing the continental extreme contact dws as I had then on another car and was very pleased with them.

What are ur thoughts on forgiato rims ? They make for jaguars but not sure on weight, planning on calling their 800 number tomorrow to see if I can get some details.

And u are correct jagular not many aftermarket offers correct offsets.
I'm thinking maybe

+35 front
+45 rear
I'm guessing this may give me my wide stance without clearance issues with turns on Mina springs,
Or maybe it'll be too tight ? I don't mind fender rolling but do not want anything underneath taken out due to aggressive fender rolling.

I need less work hours so I can visit shops to test it out
Has anyone tried these offsets ? I know someone here had +32/+42 but I don't know what setup he had on his xf

Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry, but I have never seen anyone suggest fender rolling a jaguar, slight reduction in unsprung weight, not for me on a car that weighs this much, but okay.

Good luck with your plans.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Kyu

Originally Posted by wannajag
Sorry, but I have never seen anyone suggest fender rolling a jaguar, slight reduction in unsprung weight, not for me on a car that weighs this much, but okay.

Good luck with your plans.
Thanks all to his own I suppose, some are less enthusiast than others. Some like to put sound systems or just go for pure looks, I go for more enjoyable drivability.

Not sure by the slight reduction, if my stocks are 36lbs give or take.
And aftermarket forged wheels come at 22-26lbs @ same inch and possibly wider, that's 10lbs off each wheel and possibly slightly more with tires.
40-44lbs of unsprung weight is quite a lot rather than slightly.
So much for the good luck part, I have just been informed I have a baby shower to attend this Saturday , was planning to visit a shop on that day

Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

I understand your quest for lessening the unsprung weight. If you are getting a forged wheel and paying the price, they are most likely going to be custom, typically made to the required specification for offset and bolt pattern. When I was searching, I happed to like the look of a Roderick wheel, made mostly for BMW's, but found out they were willing to make it for my car. Just need to pay the price. When you are in the $1k per wheel range, I think your options will open up considerably.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

I think you'll find those wheel weights listed in the Owners Handbook are the additional weight of all four wheels. No way the Aquila wheels weigh only 11 lbs!

The best 20 inch factory wheel is the Hydra adding only 8 lbs per wheel. But note how much additional unsprung weight any increase in wheel size adds to your car.

Large wheels are MUCH heavier than smaller wheels which is one reason the current fashion for large wheels is so dumb. One annoying thing about Callum is he is an artist and no engineer. His styling is fantastic but his engineering sense is very poor. He insists on fitting much larger wheels to his cars then should be fitted from an engineering perspective. So do many modern manufacturers. The XF rear doors are hopeless to use but look amazing. Etc.

Tire sidewall is much lighter than alloy spoke. The best sized wheel for the XF is 19 inch. Even 18 work better than the 20 from an engineering perspective. For street use you benefit from sidewall compliance (another reason not to use run flats or low rolling resistance tires) so try to fit a smaller wheel than the largest that the manufacturer fits, unlike older designs which could benefit from +1 sizing. Weird but true.

Last edited by jagular; 03-19-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kyu
Ahhh so they're nearly 36lbs. Ty very much for that. Hopefully this thread would help others as well.
Not a problem.

Aquila wheels amazingly light @11 pounds each. Also, they are 19X8.5 all around.

Just be careful with 35mm offset aftermarket wheels, they may stick out too far. Most of the wheels on the Jaguar's these days is about 50-60mm

Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Kyu

Originally Posted by Executive
Not a problem.

Aquila wheels amazingly light @11 pounds each. Also, they are 19X8.5 all around.

Just be careful with 35mm offset aftermarket wheels, they may stick out too far. Most of the wheels on the Jaguar's these days is about 50-60mm
yeah, I'm afraid the aggressive offset may give me clearance problems.
I'm going to try getting a test to see what offsets work for me at Mina Gallery this saturday from their shop.
I'll report back, hopefully with pics to show how the clearances are with their springs and without for others who are also curious.

I have a baby shower to attend to so Hopefully I can excuse my work hours to make it to MG shop and figure this out.

as for the Aquila wheels being 11lbs sounds a bit too good to be true, at 19" I haven't seen anything that light as that except for BBS F1's and they weren't' even in 11lb range.

Left a message to Jag service Advisor regarding the wheels and see if he can tell me more about jag's OEM wheels when it comes to durability and harsh conditions or abused.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

11lbs heavier for all four wheels, not 11lbs weight per wheel!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Kyu

Originally Posted by jagular
11lbs heavier for all four wheels, not 11lbs weight per wheel!
ah sorry lol,
so 11lbs more so about 110lbs metric , that's a good improvement on corners and acceleration. shouldn't be much on the braking but still better.
Love that Jags included 2 pistons for braking, vs BMW 5 series which comes single pistons

Quick Reply: Wheel Weight ? XF SC