XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

When can dealer give car Select Edition Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts
Default When can dealer give car Select Edition Warranty?

Looking at buying an '11 XF that is a dealer car that the warranty started running on a few months ago. Can the dealer make this a select edition car with the 6 year, 100k warranty? The car was not sold to anyone, but warranty has started. Does this mean the dealer purchased the car from Jaguar and started the warranty?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

As best I can recall, the extended warranty can be purchased if:

1. The factory warranty is still in force
2. All scheduled maintenance must have been done
3. You must have a Select Care inspection with oil change within the last 500 mi, regardless of mileage.

Be aware that there are big price jumps at 24,000 mi, and 36,000 mi. The lower the mileage, the cheaper the cost.

Call a Jag finance agent for further details.

The following users liked this post:
BigCat09 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

I was not referring to an after market extended warranty by the Jaguar Select Edition warranty. The car was not previously sold to a customer, but warranty has started.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

No they can not sell it as a Select Edition as the car is still a new car. It has to be a used car. There are quite a few cars out there in inventories that the warranty has started. You should be able to get a little better deal on the car. Don't expect huge discounts but a good deal.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Escolar
As best I can recall, the extended warranty can be purchased if:

1. The factory warranty is still in force
I think there is also a time restriction. If I remember correctly, the extended select warranty must be applied for 30 or 60 days (don't remember which) before the factory warranty expires.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

The car has to be less than 5 years old & under 60000 miles. The dealer is reesponsible for getting the car up to spec prior to selling it as a Select Edition.

Last edited by JgaXkr; 05-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,
In talking with "Big" Jaguar on this topic, I was told that the warranty does not start until the sale date; it's not like BMW where the warranty starts from the production date.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

I have no idea who BIG JAGUAR is, however I can tell you the warranty starts when the car is first put into service. If you post the last 6 digits of the vin of the car you are looking at I can tell you if & when it went into service. I could also tell you when the warranty would expire.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM

"Big" Jaguar is corporate Jagar, not the dealers. The in service date is correct, but that starts when the car is sold. My XF was produced in NOV 09, but sold in JAN 10. My warranty started JAN 10.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

I am told because the car is unregistered but apparently was purchased by the dealership, the warranty started but it is not used per se, so no Select Edition can be applied. Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

The warranty starts when the dealer RDR's the car with Jaguar. This does not have to be the sale date.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Right, warranty starts when the car is rdr'd which could mean the car is an ex-loaner if it has never been sold before. it happens all the time.
As far as I know ( cause this is how it used to be). You cannot buy the select edition if you are the original owner who FINANCED the car. If you leased the car for, lets say two years, and you liked the car to keep it. You could go in before the lease is up and perform the select edition check, stroke a check to the dealer for some amount of money and get the select edition warranty and buy the car once the lease expires. We used to do that alot since it was the best way to get the 6 years of warranty coverage on cars.

So, you must have leased a new car, then, before the lease is up, get the checklist done, write a check to the dealer for the checklist, then finance or pay for the car somehow.

the only other way is to buy it used with the select on it. Ex-loaners are just that, ex-loaners. The warranty started already even though the car was not titled. Since it wasnt titled, it is not eligible. Some dealers do not put Select on every used car so pay attention to that fact. My old dealer was the worst in the country for not selling select edition cars. A dealer may not want to do it because there are guidelines they must follow to make sure the car is up to Jaguar standards and the dealer has to put the money into the car

The following 2 users liked this post by BlackX300VDP:
F14jlyrgr (05-03-2012), jaguny (05-04-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM

BLACKX300VDP,
Great explanation! Thanks for the goodness.

BlackX300VDP (05-04-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaguny
I am told because the car is unregistered but apparently was purchased by the dealership, the warranty started but it is not used per se, so no Select Edition can be applied. Thanks for the replies.
I know this is a little late, but:
My car was a loaner, and was CPOd and given the Select Edition warranty. It would seem to me that if the warranty started, then the vehicle is in service, and then can be applied as a Select Edition.

Alternatively, negotiate for the vehicle to be sold to you, and the Select Edition warranty to begin the next day.

Alan

Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

The Select Edition warranty can be put on any used car (titled-registered only) car up to 5 years old & 60000 miles. The warranty starts once the original 4/50000 mile warranty expires. If a customer is leasing his car the dealer has to buy the car from the lease company (not the customer) then the car is inspected/certified & sold to the customer. The question regarding a former dealer loan car was asked, they can be sold as Select Edition only if the car was registered.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:11 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I never heard of a warranty starting on a non-titled car. Usually they start on the in-service date which is the date the car is sold. No title = New car = New Car Warranty

Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

The warranty clock starts to click on an in stock vehicle with over 1000 miles or if it has been punched, also known as RDR. It is not uncommon for a vehicle in any dealers inventory inventory to have been punched for reporting reasons.It is often done for incentive, either financial or just to show higher sales figures.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
The warranty clock starts to click on an in stock vehicle with over 1000 miles or if it has been punched, also known as RDR. It is not uncommon for a vehicle in any dealers inventory inventory to have been punched for reporting reasons.It is often done for incentive, either financial or just to show higher sales figures.

I believe the car was "punched" as you say, in this case for incentive or as a sales bump. I believe most all of the 2011's you see on cars.com and the like, have had their warranty started. Jag gives incentives to the dealer, dealer buys the car, but it is not registered, and Jag takes it off the books. Dealer gets cash incentive and hopefully moves the car.
As it was not registered, nor was a loaner, no Select Edition. The car only has about 100 miles on it. That's my theory from what I have gathered.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

How can I add a warranty onto my current 2010 XFR that still has the standard dealer warranty for another year still? I have 22K miles on it so far. What is the proccess and price ranges to have an idea of ball park figures?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
How can I add a warranty onto my current 2010 XFR that still has the standard dealer warranty for another year still? I have 22K miles on it so far. What is the proccess and price ranges to have an idea of ball park figures?
You would have to find a dealer willing to participate. Prices vary dealer to dealer. In essence, and Jag may have standards that discourage this, but, you would have to "sell" your car back to a dealer who would then go and do the certification check then resell it to you as a used car for more to cover the costs. The only "easy" way is to have leased your car from the get go then buy out the lease and have a dealer do the select check on it. You have to pay either way but as far as nailing down a cost, that is up to the dealer. Another alternative is to just get a high quality aftermarket warranty through a dealer. We use continental warranty and only offer the top of the line warranty ( i think its called Ultra Care) here at the Land Rover dealer. They cover nearly everything the Select edition will cover. No, i don't get a commission off them either.

BigCat09 (05-14-2012)

Quick Reply: When can dealer give car Select Edition Warranty?