XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Where's my BOOOOST????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Where's my BOOOOST????

So I have done some work on my car, replaced the SC coupler, snout and all the coolant pipes, water pump. All went back together fine, added the VAP crank pulley (already had their "non-crank tune" The car drove well (ran like before but I did not get on it) With the tune only before the work the car would leap form a start (well after a 1-2 second lag)

Now with the tune set up for the crank pulley, the car is a total load. Does 8.2 0-60 where it did 7.0 stock and 6.0 with just the non-crank tune.

I checked the boost with dash command (where I also got my 0-60 times) show max 140kpa MAP (it does climb from 0) That converts to 16.2psi less atm 14.7 so 1.5 psi??? I am not sure how the ECU reads absolute manifold pressure so maybe the 16.2 should not be corrected) No codes ,no running issues other than no get ups and go

Any thoughts about what it could be? I am seeing if Chris at VAP could give me the non-crank tune to see if the boost comes up and times go down. As it is now I am suspecting a boost control valve or blow off valve? Maybe I didn't reconnect it it or something? , on my Saabs that can be an issue and does not throw a code. Wait I forgot no BOV on a supercharger, strike that one.

If I have to pull the SC at least it will go more quickly this time....

Last edited by Jssaab; 02-20-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

use sdd. it shows calculated and real boost. compare it.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>I checked the boost with dash command (where I also got my 0-60 times)
What command is that? Do you have one of those dongles that plugs into the OBD connector and sends info to you celphone?
==================================================
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD
Jaguar - making mechanics out of customers since 1935

Old 02-21-2020, 08:17 AM

https://www.palmerperformance.com/pr...hone/index.php

Yes Dashcommand app from teh apple store on my phone and I use the PLX Devices Kiwi WIFI dongle. I also used other cheap dongles from ebay and amazon for my Saab, they were just not fast enough for the logging I needed

I also have the O2 wideband, vac/boost and EGT sensor modules from PLX (not installed on this car yet) that integrate with the KIWI for display on the iphone app

I would recommend the wifi version of a dongle if you want to run it with your phone hooked up to bluetooth to talk. I use an old phone on a magnetic holder for my gauge pack I selected. For this car engine coolant temp is a must.

Best $9.99 i ever spent on an iPhone App.

It does this and much much more. ( Diagnostic Trouble codes, performance data (0-60 and 1/4 mile times with speed), calculates HO and TQ - (not sure how accurately)

It also allows for data logging. I captured a file with all the parameters that Chris from Velocity AP needs to see what might be wrong with my install. The ap will log, save, and allow you to email the results right from the app in an excel file that can be opened for review. Quite awesome really.

I am looking at boost and not seeing anything much above atmosphere, so I am thinking boost control valve (although I would expect a CEL. We will see.

Last edited by Jssaab; 02-21-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 0n0t0le
use sdd. it shows calculated and real boost. compare it.
Don't have the SDD ( yet)

Old 02-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

has the belt been updated (shorter) since you have both pulleys done? any lack of tighteness or belt slippage noticed.

i believe your year car is a bosch management system and would have an electronic boost bypass valve - possible a harness isn't clicked back together after the work?

to me it sounds like your s/c rotors aren't spinning, which would cause quite an airflow restriction and the slow acceleration. but you say it builds very minor boost so I'd say maybe the bypass valve is open?

i'd think you'd still get to 60mph in 6 seconds without the S/c.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Adam J
has the belt been updated (shorter) since you have both pulleys done? any lack of tighteness or belt slippage noticed.

i believe your year car is a bosch management system and would have an electronic boost bypass valve - possible a harness isn't clicked back together after the work?

to me it sounds like your s/c rotors aren't spinning, which would cause quite an airflow restriction and the slow acceleration. but you say it builds very minor boost so I'd say maybe the bypass valve is open?

i'd think you'd still get to 60mph in 6 seconds without the S/c.
I only had the crank luppey done. It has the approriate belt.

On the Dash command app it shows 13.5 PSI of boost. I am going to log some 3rd gear runs and send them off to Chris at VAP to see what's up.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Default Found the boost!!!

Update had some time to do the logging and saw boost cut out and dropped off to 0 at 3200 rpm in 3rd.

Came back up on the next acceleration run lower than 3200. Looks like a boost cut

Chris sent me a new file and now all is good. Hitting 16.5 PSI, car pulls like a train
I have attached a screenshot of my Torque app after stopping the car (hence the instant reading of 0 boost

On torque the max is recorded with little arrows. On the Boost/vac the arrow pointing down is boost, (up is vac) Shows 16 here, on the runs prior it was 16.5 nice...

If you

check the HP it shows it pegged at 500 hp and 460 TQ (which would be engine so less 20% and seems pretty spot on VAP dyno charts (I am sure these are calculated measures but made me happy nonetheless. Way better than the 320hp 280hp from before.

Kicks you int the seat quite nicely. Happy camper with the VAP tune and service from Chris and Stuart.