XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Why Jaguar is losing my business

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Why Jaguar is losing my business

When Jaguar launched the XF, it really caught my attention, with its departure from traditional styling and the promise of a more organic, feelsome experience than the default Teutonic options. After owning a series of German sedans and coupes, I decided it was time to try out a Jag, and in 2009 I leased a 2010 XFR. I like it so much that when the lease was up in 2013, I moved into a 2014 XFR-S, which I would consider the best overall daily driver I have ever owned.

Fast forward to 2017, and the XFR-S lease will soon be up. I’ve always been a fan of fast sedans, but my rural location and the realities of a Canadian winter mean my priorities are shifting. It’s not that I haven’t had to deal with these things in the past, but I’m getting older and less tolerant of compromises. With this in mind, my brief for a replacement vehicle goes as follows:

1. V8. I am not a fan of forced induction but prefer supercharging over turbos. However, some turbo applications are pretty good these days, and I am willing to consider a turbo.

2. Higher or highest performance variant in the model range.

3. I’m done with RWD for a daily winter driver, so AWD it is.

4. Four doors and space.

5. Style (I know that’s subjective) and high quality finishes/materials.

6. Ground clearance preferable (although I could be swayed from an SUV by AWD in a sedan).

I've left hydraulic power steering off the list, because that's pretty much gone the way of the dodo in this segment, much to my disppointment. Did I say I hate electric steering?

Reviewing the above, maybe it’s plain that my engine preferences reveal me to be a Luddite. But it’s also plain that Jaguar does not sell a vehicle meeting my requirements. Let me expand on that a bit:

Jaguar has dropped the V8 from the XF. It is now offered only with the RWD XJR and with the F Type coupe. Jaguar still has not announced SVR versions of the XE, XF or F Pace (which presumably would have V8s and AWD). I discount the XE shown at Goodwood as a limited production a la XKR-S GT special. I can only assume the delay is due to Jaguar’s resources and/or Jaguar believing that there is an insufficient market for such cars to justify releases that are timely and competitive with other manufacturers. Jag seems to be focusing on smaller cylinder counts these days: 4 cylinder F type, anyone? No thanks…

I still find Jaguars stylish, but they’ve lost a bit of the edge they had over the competition in that regard, at least when it comes to the XE and new XF, which appear a bit bland and unadventurous compared with the X250. This is particularly notable in the interiors, which are stylistically lazy in the XE, new XF and F Pace, in my opinion.

As for quality, this has always been slightly lacking compared to the German competition, but not enough that it would turn me away, especially when the interior design had style and flair missing from competitors. Until now. I’m not sure how Jaguar thinks it can compete in the same segment as BMW, Audi and Mercedes with XE, XF and F Pace interior materials that can barely compete with some economy cars. Cardboard leather, cheap plastic galore, chintzy little slivers and squares of fake looking wood – ouch!

So, to cut to the chase, what did I choose to replace my XFR-S? Well, it's a BMW X5M arriving this fall. V8? Check. Turbos? Yeah, well, it’s a compromise for me, but as turbo’d engines go, it’s a good example. High performance? Check. AWD? Check. Four doors and space? Check. Style? I like it. High quality finish? Check. Ground clearance? Check.

The other serious contender was the E63 AMG, but my desire for space and ground clearance won out, and I prefer the BMW's styling. I thought about the Grand Cherokee SRT but in the end I could not get away from my bias against American vehicles.

Here’s hoping Jag hasn’t abandoned the V8, high performance crowd. If and when they decide to release a series XE SVR, or SVR versions of the XF or F Pace, with suitably upgraded interiors, I could be tempted back into the fold.

Last edited by sybarite; 08-01-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Great comments. I love my XFR-S but keep looking for a newer version. Very disappointed with Jag's current offerings in the sedans. (I'm not into the XJ-R although it's very nice).
I like the X5-M as well. Did you look at Audi? That's another one on my list. The E-63S is a beast but I just can't buy into its current looks. The CLS is more my leaning but too $$$.
Interested in the other readers' comments....

Old 08-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

What about a Range Rover?
Seems to me it would tick all your boxes, the RR SVE would compete very nicely with the X5M, and it's got the exact same engine as your XFR-S.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

My dealer gave me a loaner 2016 XF 35T AWD when my car was in for the airbag recall. As you noted the new XF interior/exterior is toned down and boring in my opinion. The exterior is so blah that nobody notices it. I feel like the rear of the new XF is a huge step back. I had two people complement me on my 09 XF SC the day I got it back. The 2016 XF's engine is better than expected for a supercharged V6, but when you compare it to the SC V8 the SC V6 is laggy off the line and lacking at times. A tune might help because the car seemed to be centered around getting better mpg. I hope Jaguar comes out with a performance variant of the new XF soon.

Good luck with the X5M.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-02-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

You guys don't understand that the whole idea is to lose your business. You probably don't understand that because you aren't good at paying attention to history.

How many times has Jag been through this? Jaguar comes out with a new line of cars, and the current loyal customer base throws a temper tantrum, squirming on the floor, flailing their arms and legs in the air while crying uncontrollably and blowing snot bubbles from their noses.

That's you right now.

Jag knows that to get a new breed of customers, the old ones that don't like change will probably have to go. It's best understood as "breaking eggs to make an omelet."

Let me guess, you think kids today listen to music you call noise, they have no respect for their elders, the current government is ruining this country, you're always cold, and you think robots are going to attack you while you sleep?

Yes, you have become your parents!

To you, Jaguar thanks you for your past business and bids you adieu!

The following users liked this post:
bollocsk187 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Stay off my lawn!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:41 PM

allenman, yes I looked at Audi. I had an RS6 as a daily driver from 2004-2009 and that was an awesome car. Unfortunately, Audi hasn't brought the RS6 to North America since that first version. I don't like the dog taking a dump rear end on the RS7, and I can't justify the price tag on the S8.

Oz, I had a test drive in a RRS SVR and did not like the seats. I also found the ride pretty awful (worse than the X5M lol), and tbh I prefer the styling on the X5M.

lotus, I'm more worried about my car attacking me these days than robots, and I don't know about the Donald, but north of the border here, we're already f*@ked.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Sybarite, your comments resonate with me not because of the specific requirements, but that Jaguar is moving away from the upper end of the performance sedan market.

That they've had to discount the sportier sedan models in many situations, the CAFE regulations that are looming and that the volume of cars produced as a marque are low, they are putting the gas guzzling V8's in only two platforms - XJ and F-Type.
I have a feeling they are developing a twin-turbo six to fill that slot. If they can put one in a Ford Raptor and have it be looked upon favorably, it would be an easy sell in a Jag.

I buy my cars 3+ years old, and my warranty ends in 3 years. So whatever is out now is my pool to select from. It's not looking good. Anything that excites me from the Germans won't be in the price range ($50-60K) by then. So looking like I will either be I keep the current XFR and, as you put it, become a Luddite, or I'll get a Lexus GS-F. That car has a reasonable amount of soul, the chassis feels better than most, and the tech and reliability earn it a few points. Clarkson actually liked it when he reviewed it on The Grand Tour.

Good luck with the X5. Glad you're not getting an X6. They are just so ugly. Did you look at a Cayenne Turbo?

Old 08-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
You guys don't understand that the whole idea is to lose your business. You probably don't understand that because you aren't good at paying attention to history.
Maybe true for people who hold this view, maybe not. However, you do seem almost unique in being able to come off as sometimes astonishingly condescending and supercilious with this sort of tone in posts, so I guess at least those of us with a modicum of self-awareness have got that going for us, even if we might lack attention to history occasionally.

The following 3 users liked this post by davetibbs:
Adam J (08-06-2017), Bigg Will (08-06-2017), bollocsk187 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never understood the desire to stay with one marque anyway.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Maybe true for people who hold this view, maybe not. However, you do seem almost unique in being able to come off as sometimes astonishingly condescending and supercilious with this sort of tone in posts, so I guess at least those of us with a modicum of self-awareness have got that going for us, even if we might lack attention to history occasionally.
Don't care what you think about my posts.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with your thoughts. I loved the S-Type shape and looks. When then came out with the XF's I didn't particularly like the headlights till the 2012 models. I am also partial to the V8 engines. I drove the 3.0 AWD versions, peppy, but definitely not the power of the V8's. Interiors, in my opinion have gotten cheaper, lots more of the plastics, less wood and less refined. This was why I started looking at the XJL's as it was much more luxurious inside. With that said, my driving habits are changing as I am doing more inner city driving, where parking is limited and it's harder to get around with a large car and small parking spaces. So, again I turn to looking at the XF's mostly in the 2012-2013 years with V8, though I would like AWD but that is not an option.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 709 Posts

The XF can't hold a candle to the styling of my old XJ8, but can't expect any kind of machine to last forever so eventually an upgrade was inevitable. I drove all the n/a v8 luxury sedans available pre-owned that I could pay cash for and while I'm not a big fan of modern sedan styling, the x250 still pushed more of my buttons than other cars like the Infiniti M56/q70, Lexus LS, Hyundai Genesis, etc. When its time for my next upgrade, there probably won't be any v8s at all. That seems to be the way things are going.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with everyones opinion. I luv my XFR Jag as does everyone else that sees it : 2012 XFR. I dislike the new jaguar XFR. I want to step up to a lambo aventador.

Last edited by bollocsk187; 08-03-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Kyanite, I have great respect for Porsches, but they just don't push my buttons. And the Cayenne, while improved styling-wise, IMO is still ugly, just like the Panamera.

Lol re: X6 - just like the RS7, Merc GLC or old Chrysler Crossfire, I guess some people are into the sagging butt look 'cause manufacturers keep churning them out.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

I completely understand where you're coming from, sybarite. I love my '11 XFR, and also have the X5M on my short list for next car. I'll keep my XFR, too - it's been fantastic in every possible way, it's paid off, has fairly low mileage, and I feel like Supercharged V8s will be extremely hard to come by soon, so might just keep it forever.

However, I really want an additional car to play with (since I've done about as much as possible to my XFR), and I'm torn between getting a "true" sports car like a 911T, F-Type SVR, etc., or a fire-breathing SUV. My wife had a '12 Range Rover Sport Supercharged which I liked, but didn't love, and she now has a '14 RRS HSE, which is severely down on power (for my wife's taste, too). I'd like to have an SUV to be able to wade through all of the potholes, etc. which I encounter on a daily basis, and would consider the RRS SVR, but don't want to have two of the same (essentially) cars in the same house. The X5M checks a lot of my boxes, too, and even though my wife and I have recently owned 4 JLR vehicles between us over the past 6 years, I think we're still ultimately brand agnostic, and will stay open-minded to whatever best fits the bill at the time. My trouble is just finding something that's different enough from my XFR to make me feel like it's worth the money to get an additional car, and I think I'm probably ultimately leaning closer to a 2-door car which I can also track. Time will tell.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Looks to me like you have the sedan and SUV boxes ticked. I vote for the coupe. If you are really serious about the track thing, and you want a car that will strike the best compromise between road and track use (and isn't a Porsche), may I suggest a Lotus?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments...

That being said we did lease a F-Pace S for my wife, and I will say that even in the "S" trim the F-Pace's interior is far inferior to my XFR-S.

I kind of followed a similar pattern to you.

Doing it the expensive way... I purchased a 2012 XFR, and for the most part I drove that car year round, and I loved the car so much, that when my dealership had five (5) 2015 XFR-S that they were clearing out at record prices, I could help but trade-in and trade up.

At the time, I hadn't seen what the new XF's would look like, but I also new they most likely wouldn't be coming out with a new "R", "R-S" or "SVR", right off the bat, but it would take 1-2 years...

Well in October of this year it would have been 2 years since I picked up my 2015 XFR-S, and I couldn't feel better about buying the last generation (X250), instead of waiting for the new style. The New XF's front, is very similar to ours, and one would say a small step in the right direction over our generation of the XF, the rear on the other hand, is horrible... not a fan at all. Not to mention that here we are already in the third model year (2016, 2017 and now 2018), and still no V8 variant for this sedan???

And I cant see why they wouldn't want to put this gem of an engine into every model they offer? anyone that has driven the car just can't get over how effortless the V8 supercharged engine behaves, whether in the old XFR, XFR-S or in the XJ or the F-Type...

The V6 supercharged is nice, I will say for my wife's car stepping up from an Audi Q5 with a 2.0 I4 Turbo (220HP) to the 3.0 V6 Supercharged (380HP), it is definitely a peppy car, but I can only imagine what this car would be like with a 550HP V8, and a better interior.

I personally can't do the SUV thing, so it will always be a sedan or a wagon for me... and I am dreading the day that I may decide to upgrade from my XFR-S

To the OP, I will wish you best of luck with your new BMW, and I hope that after that lease is up, that JLR have something better to offer (who knows maybe the Velar), but I doubt it...

Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sybarite
Looks to me like you have the sedan and SUV boxes ticked. I vote for the coupe. If you are really serious about the track thing, and you want a car that will strike the best compromise between road and track use (and isn't a Porsche), may I suggest a Lotus?
Yeah - I've always been intrigued by Lotus, and have even met the owner of the Lotus dealership here in town a few times. I also saw that the new Evora GT430 just came out, which looks to be a lightweight monster, but I've always felt a little cramped inside of them - kind of like when I was looking at an RX-7 in the early 90's; I loved that car, but could barely change gears because of spacing, so had to pass. I'm only 6'1", but I have long legs and my weight fluctuates up to 225lbs., so I frequently feel like I'm trapped inside a walnut in smaller cars. Still, I shouldn't cross them off my list until I have a look. It probably won't be until the new year, if I decide to pull the trigger on something, though. One of my best friends recently bought a '15 458 and swung it by my house, straight after he picked it up from the dealer, and it just made me think that I need to build an additional garage before I get something really nice. A new(ish) Ferrari isn't an option for me right now anyway, but it's still a gorgeous/fun car, and was certainly motivating to see parked in my driveway. Ha-ha!

Thanks for the input, and good luck in your search. You'll always be welcome on this forum.

Attached Thumbnails Why Jaguar is losing my business-2017-05-13-16.32.23.1.jpg  
Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>I'll get a Lexus GS-F

Ya, been thinking that same thought...
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine