XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Will updated Nav DVD fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will updated Nav DVD fix this?

I just purchased a 2009 XF Premium Luxury on Friday and so far I absolutely love this car. However, one frustration is with the nav system and the fact that it will not let me input a destination while moving. I understand the safety aspect but it allows me to do everything else plus I could always have a passenger input an address.

I pulled out the DVD this evening and it is the USA & Canada version 2007-2008. I see the 2011-2012 version is available online for $200 but before I buy the newer version, I'm wondering if it includes any updates that will fix this and allow me to input destinations while moving.

Thanks for any help,
Karl

Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by allenkt
I just purchased a 2009 XF Premium Luxury on Friday and so far I absolutely love this car. However, one frustration is with the nav system and the fact that it will not let me input a destination while moving. I understand the safety aspect but it allows me to do everything else plus I could always have a passenger input an address.

I pulled out the DVD this evening and it is the USA & Canada version 2007-2008. I see the 2011-2012 version is available online for $200 but before I buy the newer version, I'm wondering if it includes any updates that will fix this and allow me to input destinations while moving.

Thanks for any help,
Karl
There should have been two discs supplied with the car, one for western North America and one for the eastern half. The disc coverage overlaps for the center portion. New discs will not fix the moving vehicle input restriction for the DVD version of the Nav System. The 2007-2008 disc that you have is one of the original discs supplied with the 2009 model. As a result, it is likely that a 2009 Nav fault caused by expressways that have restricted driving lanes may still exist in the system. The fault causes the system to lockup when on these types of limited expressways. Later year discs will patch this software problem.

Last edited by Jerry S; 08-06-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Added the word "for" in first sentence
The following users liked this post:
edobernig (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I thought I saw a Nav update for a 2011 XF/XJ in the classifieds. It doesn't sound like it wil solve the problem of data input while driving however.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Not being able to input a destination while in motion is definitely a giant pain. Blame the government, not the carmaker. There are a couple things that can ease the pain somewhat.
1. Every time you stop the buttons go from gray to blue and will accept input, even with the engine running. In stop & go traffic you can usually complete the programming by the second red light.
2. Even while in motion you have 6 different destinations you can select, home and 5 preprogrammed ones. Set it up in advance with your 5 most common destinations, then you can select any of these (or home) even while in motion with one button touch.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree it is a pain not being able to input destinations while on the go. This was the case even with my 2000 Jaguar S-type, so it may be a Jaguar thing more than a regulatory requirement.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Karl-

In answer to your two questions....

1. A more recent disc will not overcome the issue of data entry while in motion.

2. The more recent disc will have more current map data plus any system software updates.

I tend to buy a new one every third year and sell the old one on ebay. You may be able to find a more recent one than you have there. What you can do is to look at the DVD proper and there will be a two letter code as a suffix to the part number, "BH" for instance. If you have a "BH" disc, a later one will be labeled "BI" or "BJ" for example.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 AM
vs2
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have the destination input available when driving down here in NZ. I think its the same in Europe as well.

I remember when I had a Lexus (has the same files on the DVD) there was instructions on the net to make a hybrid disk which would let you input a destination while driving. Worked great.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Swimref
Not being able to input a destination while in motion is definitely a giant pain. Blame the government, not the carmaker. There are a couple things that can ease the pain somewhat.
1. Every time you stop the buttons go from gray to blue and will accept input, even with the engine running. In stop & go traffic you can usually complete the programming by the second red light.
2. Even while in motion you have 6 different destinations you can select, home and 5 preprogrammed ones. Set it up in advance with your 5 most common destinations, then you can select any of these (or home) even while in motion with one button touch.
It's not the government, it's the car maker's litigation lawyers. They see it as a potential liability problem. There is no federal law banning the programming of a GPS while the car is in motion.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a 2009 and 2011 XF and both wouldn't let you poke at the GPS above 5MPH if I remember correctly. The newer GPS system in the 2012 model does not have that restriction. It does pop up with a window warning about making adjustments each time you go to the map after starting your car, however.