XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Window regulator stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 11:32 PM
Received 186 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Window regulator stalling

The drivers window on my XF is malfunctioning in that when the 'up' button is activated, it will go part-way up then back down, usually closes properly on the third attempt. I assume there is an overload function in the system to prevent me crushing someone's head. Is there a usual cause for this on these vehicles, along with a usual fix? Presumably there is a tight spot either in the window channel or the gear train of the regulator.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by POD XF
The drivers window on my XF is malfunctioning in that when the 'up' button is activated, it will go part-way up then back down, usually closes properly on the third attempt. I assume there is an overload function in the system to prevent me crushing someone's head. Is there a usual cause for this on these vehicles, along with a usual fix? Presumably there is a tight spot either in the window channel or the gear train of the regulator.
Same issue here,
removed the door card, works fine, this is a sign your window regulator motor is dying. It goes halfway up then down, if you keep trying at some point it will get hot and do nothing, if you have the window auto up down function active, you can disable it by disconnecting the battery for a minute, it will work again, the cure for this is changing the whole window regulator assembly.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:54 AM
Received 186 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Saez
Same issue here,
removed the door card, works fine, this is a sign your window regulator motor is dying. It goes halfway up then down, if you keep trying at some point it will get hot and do nothing, if you have the window auto up down function active, you can disable it by disconnecting the battery for a minute, it will work again, the cure for this is changing the whole window regulator assembly.
This problem seems to have fixed itself- at least for the time being- so I'm going to leave it alone unless it starts happening again. Might be temperature related perhaps, as we have had much cooler weather over the past couple of weeks, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

funny thing is, on my XF, the window would work better in hot temperature. i assume it wasnt the motor, but rather something making it stick, because in cold weather it would roll up 1/2 and roll down as if it hit something