XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Windows global close setting issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Windows global close setting issue?

For some reason on the touch screen I can set the Windows global on no problem, but the Windows global close just goes back to off when I touch on. It highlights on for a second then goes back to off. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My guess, it might be disabled from the factory? Might have to get the dealer or someone with the correct software to turn it on?

Mine stays on when I turn it on, however it's not a fantastic convenience (at least in the U.S.) as the only way to activate it is you have to stand there pushing and holding one of the door handle buttons until all the windows close. You can not global close via the key fob button.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by hendogg8
My guess, it might be disabled from the factory? Might have to get the dealer or someone with the correct software to turn it on?

Mine stays on when I turn it on, however it's not a fantastic convenience (at least in the U.S.) as the only way to activate it is you have to stand there pushing and holding one of the door handle buttons until all the windows close. You can not global close via the key fob button.
Oh interesting ? It should work via the key fob? Manual says it should anyways.. My 2007 Mercedes s class had that option by default.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Yep, despite the manual saying you have both global open and global close via the key fob, in most markets global close via the key fob has been disabled and instead you have to manually close each window via the interior door switches. Apparently this is due to a "safety concern" that little fingers or paws could be caught using global close via the fob while outside the car.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 PM

Yeah, for most U.S. original destination vehicles, I believe the laws prevent the manufacturer from having global close via remote because of safety concerns, like getting one's hand caught. So, outside of the U.S. it should be standard, but once a vehicle comes in, the function gets deactivated by either the manufacturer or the dealer. I've had BMW's from different generations up to current and they're all like that. You can only global close from holding something outside the door. Although you can program it back in with the correct hardware and software.

Maybe your S class was a European model, slipped by or was activated at some point? Either way, that's really how it should be.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:10 PM

Yeah, for most U.S. original destination vehicles, I believe the laws prevent the manufacturer from having global close via remote because of safety concerns, like getting one's hand caught. So, outside of the U.S. it should be standard, but once a vehicle comes in, the function gets deactivated by either the manufacturer or the dealer. I've had BMW's from different generations up to current and they're all like that. You can only global close from holding something outside the door. Although you can program it back in with the correct hardware and software.

Maybe your S class was a European model, slipped by or was activated at some point? Either way, that's really how it should be.
Oh ok makes sense then I suppose. The the s class was in Ireland yea.

I thought all the windows now have automatic obstruction detection.. I think there's more of a chance when people are in the car than out but oh well not that important!

Old 07-24-2016, 02:02 AM

I agree. It's funny, because I think that most do have obstruction detection, but regardless manufacturer's are still like, No, No, Nope.

Thanks lawsuit hungry America!

Old 07-24-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can global close with the key fob and global open with the fob.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I have no issues with global open or close. I can use the key fob or the lock/unlock button in the car.

BTW Global close will only work on the windows you have programmed. If you reset your battery you need to re-teach the close limit for each window manually via the switch.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 07-25-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. It's funny, because I think that most do have obstruction detection, but regardless manufacturer's are still like, No, No, Nope.

Thanks lawsuit hungry America!
There's really no cost to filing frivolous lawsuits in America. Judges can assess costs against losers for doing so, but that would cause many hungry attorneys.