XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Windscreen wash leaves soapy film?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your reply to my post on weak washer spray. I have used Rain-X on the windshield and Rain-X washer fluid in other cars with good results. I also put the washer fluid in the Jag's washer fluid reservoir. Do you think I should siphon it out?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Rain X will not affect spray pressure. Likely you have dirt contaminants in the jets.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Per
Will try on the remote lower corner. Sounds risky to me but here goes
The repair shop took it back and used a kind of razor, back to normal now. It seems this happens every so often. Sloppy masking must be more expensive in the long run or is it just I who am picky and the rest live with it or don't even notice?

Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I was a bit quick off the mark there, first day with grimy weather and use of window wash saw things back to square one again. That really made me certain that the contents of the washer reservoir held something it should not. The wipers had a blackish greasy layer after a few days from new. So I ran it down to empty, filled with a mix of 50% water, 25% detergent, 25% vinegar (5% solution). Then ran that through in a series of washing cycles. Lo and behold, no greasy layer. I filled with a couple of litres of normar waser fluid, ran a few cycles to clear the special mix out of the system and washed the car thoroughly to get rid of any remains of the special mix on the car. Now the tendency to contaminate the screen is much less so I will run a second helping of the special mix next time the washer reservoir is empty.

Thinking back the car had been in for service just after the painting debacle. The workshop had cleaned the engine bay. They do so with a pressure washer using a degreasing agent. Looking at the washer fluid filler cap I found it doesn't close tightly, it can be wiggled a bit. So I believe the mix of oil, dirt, engine cleaner etc. had been splashed against the underside of the washer fluid filler cap creeping over the edge of the filler neck.

So the lesson learnt here is to seal off the washer reservoir cap by e.g. putting a disposable nitril glove over the neck and then closing the cap.