XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

windshield wiper sensor behind mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default windshield wiper sensor behind mirror?

Hi,
When I got my 2009 XF, the windshield had been replaced and the automatic feature of the wipers didn't work. One shop looked at it and said that the silicone gel pad hadn't been put in and that's why they didn't work, but they couldn't fix it without replacing the windshield and redoing the silicone??

any way, I pulled apart the plastic surround and if I tough the sensor or push it against the windshield the auto/ mist feature works for a few times and then stops (or starts wiping full speed).
With that I assume everything is there, but maybe the sensor position needs to be adjusted?

Can anyone help me with getting the windshield wipers working as they should?
thanks in advance,
Eric

Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

If I remember correctly, I believe the gel pad comes with a new sensor. Maybe when they replaced the windshield, the gel pad stayed with the old windshield. I don't think you can just get the gel pad, you'll need to get a new sensor. See below. Hope this helps.

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Removal
NOTES:
  • Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.
  • Make sure the ignition is OFF at all times during the replacement procedure.

Installation
  • CAUTION:
    Make sure that the component is secured in the retainer.

NOTES:
    • Make sure the rain/light sensor windshield area is clear and clean of any contamination inside and out.
    • Prior to switch the ignition ON first time after the rain/light sensor replacement please allow at least 10 minutes for the gel pad to adhere to the windshield surface.
    • If the original rain/light sensor is to be reinstalled, configure and calibrate using Jaguar approved diagnostic equipment.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

RAIN/LIGHT SENSOR

The rain/light sensor is located at the upper edge of the windshield, behind the interior rear view mirror. Contact between the rain sensor and windscreen is provided via a silicon pad which is compressed during the assembly process by two locking retaining clips either side of the sensor.
The rain/light sensor unit attaches to the windshield via two clips, which latch onto formed tags on the windshield bracket.
The sensor provides information to the CJB for the optimum wiper operation for the prevailing conditions to maintain the shield in a clear condition at all times. The rain/light sensor is an optical unit, which operates on an infrared waveband. The sensor uses the principle of the laws of reflection on interfacing surfaces between materials with differing refraction properties.
The rain/light sensor is connected to the CJB via a LIN bus. The sensor also receives a hardwired power and ground from the CJB. The 'auto' wipers are activated when the column stalk is moved to position 1 (first position from off in the upward direction). The sensitivity of the sensor can be adjusted by rotating the sensitivity collar on the wiper column stalk in the clockwise or counterclockwise direction. Clockwise rotation will decrease sensitivity, while counterclockwise adjustment will increase sensitivity. An increase in sensitivity adjustment results in a single wipe of the front wiper motor.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:37 PM

Hey,
thanks so much for the reply. This looks exactly like what I need.
Will look to get a new sensor. Any idea how much they are $$?

Thanks again.
Etip

Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Old 04-06-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Looks like Mad knows.... I've only replaced them under warranty, so not sure what the price is over the counter. You might be able to keep the old sensor just in case, gel pad "might" be transferable. However it will need to be calibrated as well.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 PM

Thanks I might try getting a gel pad. How does it get calibrated?

Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 PM

Realized as I poked the sensor that the windshield shop that replaced the windshield never bothered to snap the sensor into place!!! GAH!
idiots..... Works fine once the clasp is snapped down.