windshield wipers deicer frozen!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by krisry
Thanks for the advice!
I guess no real fix then, unless I can find the super low temp rated fluid
Buy some isopropyl alcohol and pour it into the tank as well as the fluid.

Methanol and isopropyl both lower the freeze point.

Methanol won't freeze at any normal temperature so to cook up your own heavy duty stuff just get some methanol or isopropyl and add it to the standard fluid until it won't freeze.

Of course, the water film freezes immediately the alcohol evaporates from the windshield so actually using washer fluid below about minus 5C requires a heated windshield.

Washer pumps are in the tank in the right fender behind the wheel. The wheel comes off and a plastic arch liner and there it is. Upper pump is for the headlights, lower one is for the windshield. the other connector is for the fluid level.

Accessing these parts is pointless as to thaw them you have to warm them. Just find a heated garage to park the entire car in for a day. Then empty the washer by repeatedly washing the windshield with the washers, switching the headlights on and off between washes will use up fluid much faster as the headlight washers waste a lot of fluid.

Then refill with stronger fluid, more methanol.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
Purely tongue in cheek, but when the poster says "below 45" that could mean, for example, 44. Now, if that is 44 C, we don't have a freezing problem at all. However, if what the poster meant (and I strongly suspect this is the case) -44 degrees, I think we can all agree that's damn cold whether it's F or C (or even 44 degrees below freezing!)
Crossover point for the scales is minus 40. When a Quebecker says it's below 45 (in English) that would mean 45 below to any other Canadian. The h'adjective comes after the noun in French as for many languages. For English speakers the adjective position is optional so Radio Canada means Canada Radio in both official languages, while the reverse is not the case. Positional words come before the noun "sur la table" or "sous la table". 45 below implies the word zero. The actual phrase should be negative 45 degrees which is not common useage in Canada. Trust me 45 below is f'ing cold in any language and regardless of which way round you put the "below".

Kelvin degrees and Celsius (or, archaic Centigrade) degrees are the same size add 273 with same sign to the Celsius number to get Kelvin. That won't help you deal with poor old neglected Fahrenheit though.

Last edited by jagular; 12-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

As a born and bred Quebecer (not Quebecker), the confusion comes from direct translation.

In french, the temperature would be expressed as 'moins quarante-cinq' which translates literally back to English as 'less forty five'. It's understood to mean 'minus forty five'.

I picked up immediately on several syntax and grammatical things in the OPs post which indicated that they were French Canadian, or Québécois.

Most English Canadians would express the temperature as 'minus forty five degrees' which implies usage of the Celsius scale. Saying 'forty five below' would imply usage of the Fahrenheit scale.

Although slowly disappearing (thankfully), some parts of Canada still refer to degrees F in lieu of C, I suppose in part of our proximity to the US border. Hopefully our neighbours to the south will revive efforts to someday ditch Fahrenheit. It sure gets confusing not knowing which system the other person is using.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Got an appointment for mine for exactly the same issue. I had put some winter fluid in the reservoir but I'm wondering if it hasn't made it all the way through the lines yet.

Problem is, mine's frozen while driving at temps of 18F. Seems to thaw after a while of sitting still, i.e. while at work...until I start driving again and the nozzles are beaten with the cold wind again.

Thought I had seen some mention of the factory fluid having a bit of isopropyl alcohol in it to prevent freezing (edit: and also see it mentioned above now that I read the entire thread!), but not sure if that has ever been validated. Also didn't want to just throw some in, in case it would deteriorate parts or lines in the washer fluid system.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Methanol is the most corrosive of the alcohols in these rubber and plastic systems and they all are designed to accept methanol and water based washer fluids. Isopropyl alcohol will be fine, even if used with water and no methanol, but expensive. Shell used to put around 10% isopropyl in their branded green coloured (and expensive!) washer fluid they sold at their stations.

Ethanol is just as effective an antifreeze for washer fluid, practically speaking. Methanol is the least stinky.

The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not a salesman for this product nor would I make anything from the sale... but I do know my Mini Cooper had a headed washer and I loved it... thinking of adding this to my Jag... anyone else done this yet?

Welcome to AlphaTherm the world leader in the development of Heated Wash If not allowed to show the link... look up Heated Washer fluid. Again... thinking of adding it on my XF.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by psinsyd
Got an appointment for mine for exactly the same issue. I had put some winter fluid in the reservoir but I'm wondering if it hasn't made it all the way through the lines yet.

Problem is, mine's frozen while driving at temps of 18F. Seems to thaw after a while of sitting still, i.e. while at work...until I start driving again and the nozzles are beaten with the cold wind again.

Thought I had seen some mention of the factory fluid having a bit of isopropyl alcohol in it to prevent freezing (edit: and also see it mentioned above now that I read the entire thread!), but not sure if that has ever been validated. Also didn't want to just throw some in, in case it would deteriorate parts or lines in the washer fluid system.
Every gas station and car parts store sells windshield wiper anti freeze, usually good to -30 or -40. If this is added to a reservoir that is partially filled with straight water or 'weak' fluid, the freezing temp of the mixture will be much higher.

Drain the reservoir and lines before adding the new stuff.

The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

With all the confusion between Fahrenheit and Celsius may I suggest that we adopt the Stanfield (Long John) index when talking about low temperature. This is commonly used in Atlantic Canada when talking to our American Friends and is understood without fail. Below is a list taken from "The Long John Index Service of Canada" website and I included the proper Fahrenheit ranges.

Usage: "it's 5 Stanfields today and my Jag won't start." See how easy?

1 – Low/Wimpy - Temperatures between 0 and – 10 degrees Celsius, 32F to 14F
No Wind-chill .Long Johns shouldn’t be needed, unless one is spending 7+ hours outside with no touque and standing so still they might be mistaken for one of those creepy living mannequins. Any movement will generate enough body heat to not need Long Johns. Hell, blinking will generate enough body heat to keep you warm. If you are wearing them at this temperature, hang your head in shame, and go back to Vancouver.
2 – Moderate – Temperature between 0 and – 10C, 32F to 14F, with measurable Wind-chill. Long Johns probably a good idea if you are spending more than an hour or so outdoors. You shouldn’t need them for short commutes or jaywalking. Probably best to start diggin em out of the ol underpants drawer, as if it gets any colder, you’ll need em!
3 – High – Temperature between -10C and – 20C 14F to -4F
Long Johns should be worn for being outdoors for anything more than half-an-hour. You may also want to look into some for your pets. And, if it gets any colder, you may start sleeping in these things, so best to get a backup pair.
4 – Crazy High – Temperature between – 20C and – 30.C, -4F to -22F
Long Johns should be worn if you are outdoors for more than 10 minutes. It’s bleeping cold. If you aren’t wearing any, you’ll get that freezing, yet for some reason burning, sensation on your upper thighs. That’s your thigh’s way of freaking out wondering why it’s so cold. Your thighs hate you right now.
5 – Effin Nuts – Temperatures of – 30C, -22F and worse – Wind-chill no longer matters.
Long Johns should be worn INDOORS. Don’t even bother going outdoors. Don’t even look at the outdoors, unless you have Long Johns for your eyes. It’s that cold. Just grab some comic books and some hot chocolate and go back to bed. When it’s nice out, someone will tell you.

Spring better come soon, I'm starting to lose it.....

Old 01-17-2014, 04:32 PM

Now you'll have to explain what a toque is to all the furriners.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton
With all the confusion between Fahrenheit and Celsius may I suggest that we adopt the Stanfield (Long John) index when talking about low temperature. This is commonly used in Atlantic Canada when talking to our American Friends and is understood without fail. Below is a list taken from "The Long John Index Service of Canada" website and I included the proper Fahrenheit ranges.

Usage: "it's 5 Stanfields today and my Jag won't start." See how easy?

1 – Low/Wimpy - Temperatures between 0 and – 10 degrees Celsius, 32F to 14F
No Wind-chill .Long Johns shouldn’t be needed, unless one is spending 7+ hours outside with no touque and standing so still they might be mistaken for one of those creepy living mannequins. Any movement will generate enough body heat to not need Long Johns. Hell, blinking will generate enough body heat to keep you warm. If you are wearing them at this temperature, hang your head in shame, and go back to Vancouver.
2 – Moderate – Temperature between 0 and – 10C, 32F to 14F, with measurable Wind-chill. Long Johns probably a good idea if you are spending more than an hour or so outdoors. You shouldn’t need them for short commutes or jaywalking. Probably best to start diggin em out of the ol underpants drawer, as if it gets any colder, you’ll need em!
3 – High – Temperature between -10C and – 20C 14F to -4F
Long Johns should be worn for being outdoors for anything more than half-an-hour. You may also want to look into some for your pets. And, if it gets any colder, you may start sleeping in these things, so best to get a backup pair.
4 – Crazy High – Temperature between – 20C and – 30.C, -4F to -22F
Long Johns should be worn if you are outdoors for more than 10 minutes. It’s bleeping cold. If you aren’t wearing any, you’ll get that freezing, yet for some reason burning, sensation on your upper thighs. That’s your thigh’s way of freaking out wondering why it’s so cold. Your thighs hate you right now.
5 – Effin Nuts – Temperatures of – 30C, -22F and worse – Wind-chill no longer matters.
Long Johns should be worn INDOORS. Don’t even bother going outdoors. Don’t even look at the outdoors, unless you have Long Johns for your eyes. It’s that cold. Just grab some comic books and some hot chocolate and go back to bed. When it’s nice out, someone will tell you.

Spring better come soon, I'm starting to lose it.....
Sounds like a reasonable suggestion, LOL. ON the topic of the nozzles getting frozen, they're worse than any other car I've ever had... I think Jag is trying to say at Low/Wimpy and below, we're on strike.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought I had a problem with my washer pump but it seem like it's due to the temperature ( -44celsius) because when it was -10 celsius it was working just find !

Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I don't know what type of fluid Jaguar puts in these cars, but they must be very weak and diluted. Mine hasn't been working either for the past two winters, of course only when the temperatures are below 34F. Which is just at the freezing point.....Anything over, it's fine.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 AM

You still have the original factory fluid in your car?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

No, Jaguar dealer refilled it a few times in the past 2 years. I would suspect with the same stuff the tank was filled with at the factory.

The tank is about half empty, i will be refilling with Rain-x brand deicer. It's good for -25F

Old 02-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to have stumbled on to Jaguar Canada. Jaguar Czech Republic here.
Outside air temperature of -5C, (that's centigrade for you Canadians), windscreen washer not working.
Seems the car was built with Saudi Arabia in mind. Never mind I just hope that the pump is not damaged
It didn't occur to me to switch on the heated windscreen, I'll try that first because I have a car port, not garage, can't bring it into the lounge, wife seems to thing the car is dirty. Hey ho.
Well since there has been no mention of damaged pumps in this thread hopefully it is just a matter of having de-ice fluid instead of water in the system.
Mild winter here this year but there have been some shocking pictures of winter on the web.
Keep warm and thanks for posting all the info.
Geoffrey