XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Winter is coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Here is the thread about non staggered winter tyres all the way around on an XFR (same as for the SC models)

Search for the thread called:
XF and XFR ( X250 )>Trying to Confirm 255-35-20 Winter Tires For XFR
I was one of the SC owners who gave up on the 19 inch wheels. I have non staggered 20 inch with size of fronts all around. I purchased Nokian's Hakapellittas and swith them on to my staggered 20 inch oem wheels. I am still considering another set of wheels, butbwould likely buy a set of Savini's for summer use and keep the oem Selenas for winter.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
I assure you this is incorrect. I drive on ice quite frequently and modern snow tires are extremely good on ice. There is no need for studded tires any longer and they are banned in many places.

I'm pretty sure a guy from the Carolinas won't have much experience driving on ice. I've been doing it for forty years and never felt the need for studded tires. Mind you, the newest winter tires are amazing, especially with Q rated studless rubber compounds.
Ha I actually grew up and spent most of my life in Northern VA and we had some of the worst snow and freezing rain / ice storms on the east coast. One winter I was able to make it over 35 miles home in a freak 6-7" snowstorm in my old IS300 with completely bald summer Azenis because I had plenty of experience driving in those conditions.

I guess I should have been more specific, but if you hit solid sheet ice / black ice at speeds you are typically travelling on public roads (even if you are reduced speed) 99% of the time it does not matter what tires you have. The car in that video with studless winter tires still took over 21 feet to stop...from 10mph. Do you realize how absurdly slow that is? That is not factoring any inclines in the road, off camber curves, etc. That is ice in its most ideal conditions, starting from 0 to 10mph to 0 again. The curve demonstration was definitely impressive and it shows the great technology behind those tires but again that is such a ridiculously slow speed. If that was on an off-camber curve at 30 mph (normally taken at 45mph) it would be a completely different scenario.

Chunks of ice and slush are one thing and absolutely winter tires are a huge benefit in those conditions. At speeds of anything other than stop and go traffic, if you hit sheet ice it can get ugly really quick even if you know how to handle your vehicle in bad weather.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars

Any advice on when you suggest putting on the winter tyres. I'd normally wait another month or so, but mine is going in for annual service in early November and it would be convenient to have the dealer do them at the same time. But maybe too early??
I live in downstate NY so 2nd week November is probably just a bit too early. I usually swap them Sunday after Thanksgiving.

The following users liked this post:
BritCars (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Ha I actually grew up and spent most of my life in Northern VA and we had some of the worst snow and freezing rain / ice storms on the east coast. One winter I was able to make it over 35 miles home in a freak 6-7" snowstorm in my old IS300 with completely bald summer Azenis because I had plenty of experience driving in those conditions.

I guess I should have been more specific, but if you hit solid sheet ice / black ice at speeds you are typically travelling on public roads (even if you are reduced speed) 99% of the time it does not matter what tires you have. The car in that video with studless winter tires still took over 21 feet to stop...from 10mph. Do you realize how absurdly slow that is? That is not factoring any inclines in the road, off camber curves, etc. That is ice in its most ideal conditions, starting from 0 to 10mph to 0 again. The curve demonstration was definitely impressive and it shows the great technology behind those tires but again that is such a ridiculously slow speed. If that was on an off-camber curve at 30 mph (normally taken at 45mph) it would be a completely different scenario.

Chunks of ice and slush are one thing and absolutely winter tires are a huge benefit in those conditions. At speeds of anything other than stop and go traffic, if you hit sheet ice it can get ugly really quick even if you know how to handle your vehicle in bad weather.
This video is convincing. It also accords with my real world experience.

Oh well, Northern Virginia that's totally different. How far North is that again?

Driving experience is no match for winter tires.

I routinely drive at normal speeds on icy roads, and, yes we occasionally get freezing rain. I would not attempt to drive at normal speeds in winter except on winter tires.

Your anecdote is interesting (its better to be lucky than to be good, trust me you were just lucky not skilled) but misleading. Winter tires make a HUGE difference on glare ice. Stopping distances are cut in half or more depending on tire wear status. Cornering and acceleration are improved by similar amounts.

I suggest you refrain from posting dangerously unhelpful anecdotes.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Well, we don't necessarily get the worst winters here, but some can be challenging with average temps of -6 to maybe -10 or below and extremes of -20 with plenty of snow and ice, rain fog etc etc.

Winter tyres still aren't a MUST as far as the government is concerned but I can see it heading that way for sure here in the UK.
There are plenty of drivers taking it upon themselves to start using winter tyres and swapping for all seasons in the summer months.

It is something I have thought about, but still not got around to, but really should.

I always make sure I have good quality rubber on with plenty of tread before the onset of winter, and this has always been enough to see me though, never getting stuck no accidents to speak of in this time for these reasons.....
I am an experienced driver, but know that this doesn't make up for having the proper equipment...

That being said I can see the benefits and its something I will be looking at in the near future for sure.

Lets be honest, driving with completely bald summer tyres in the summer, let alone winter is just asking for trouble. I think its fair comment to say that it was more good luck than good judgement, something I think you will agree with in hindsight and probably not your most sensible move?

Note to ALL - Please remember to be civil and keep in mind the forum rules

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
jagular (10-24-2013), WRXtranceformed (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Well my last couple of posts finishing the argument were deleted and warned. So the easiest way to fix the problem and make sure that doesn't happen again is to welcome jagular as the only member ever on one of my forum ignore lists Well deserved~

I agree with you Jim. Certainly wasn't the best judgment (and I never will claim it was). I hadn't planned on it but I purchased the car right before the season and those were the tires it came with. That's the odd thing about VA, you can get freak snow / ice storms as early as late fall and as late as mid spring. Some of the worst snowstorms I can remember were from Feb to April...It's hard to predict the weather next to the Blue Ridge. New wheels and tires went on about a month later. My point from the beginning was winter tires are super important in snowy / icy weather but don't assume that it is "safe" to drive on ice when you have them. I think that was the true wrong message that was being sent in this thread.

I'm going to stick with my skill though~ I passed plenty of 4WD / AWD vehicles in ditches on the way home

Last edited by WRXtranceformed; 10-24-2013 at 07:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by xfdave
I cekced my tires on the car today and I really feel stupid. I have summber tires. It's a miracle I made it through last winter. Somehow I thought they were all seasons.

Another question if may.

Can I use 255/35/20 on all four wheels or do I need use the staggered tire setup?

I'm thinking about the Blizzak LM-60's, I've used Blizzaks in the past with excellent results.

Thanks again for all the help!
I'm going into 3rd season on LM-60's on non staggered 19" on my 2010 SC. Work very well.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Michelin Pilot A/S Plus are a very effective winter tire for many areas. I wouldn't use then in deep snow or very cold weather but around freezing in wet snow they are phenomenally good. Very impressive as a summer tire also.