XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Wiper Reservoir leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wiper Reservoir leaking

My 2012 XF has developed a leak in the reservoir, this occured before the very cold weather set in. I have never had a problem like this with any car, had anyone ever heard of this in these cars?

The car is going to the dealer for that and for them to look at the "power strip" in the console, which used to, but no longer charges my iPhone 5s.

I'll post solutions/fixes when it comes back from the dealer on Tuesday.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Not sure where mine's leaking, but I'm about to take it back to the dealer and ask them for the fourth time to fix it. I think they just pour more fluid in it every time, but I keep getting the low washer fluid warning, just a few days after.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am bringing my car tomorrow morning, I'll let you know what happens (second trip). The last visit was a disaster. They filled the reservoir with a mixture of fluid and water. They tried to give me some BS about different mixtures. I called the service "manager" and told him that I'll spent the $2 for a gallon of solvent good to -20 if they cannot afford it.

The damn "fluid" they put in last week promptly FROZE that night and I could not clean my windshield the next morning. Later in the day it worked fine (the temp rose to about 35 when I left work). Then they had the gall to send a survey, I'll fill out the survey after they fix the car (they need to flush the entire "system" and refill it with the proper fluid).

Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by chairman25
I am bringing my car tomorrow morning, I'll let you know what happens (second trip). The last visit was a disaster. They filled the reservoir with a mixture of fluid and water. They tried to give me some BS about different mixtures. I called the service "manager" and told him that I'll spent the $2 for a gallon of solvent good to -20 if they cannot afford it.

The damn "fluid" they put in last week promptly FROZE that night and I could not clean my windshield the next morning. Later in the day it worked fine (the temp rose to about 35 when I left work). Then they had the gall to send a survey, I'll fill out the survey after they fix the car (they need to flush the entire "system" and refill it with the proper fluid).
Chances are very good that your washer reservoir has cracked in the freezing, or more likely the pumps (there are two if you have headlight washers) or the level sensor or the hoses or connections.

You have had unseasonably cold weather and your local dealers may not be aware how important it is to use washer fluid with the correct concentration of methanol (the most common washer fluid anti freeze). Failure to use the correct fluid will cost you in frozen and burst components.

Up here the minimum we put in our cars in winter is rated at -35C (about -30 F) and some places need -40C fluid.

"Mixing" fluids with any water is a bad idea. Unless you know for sure what the existing stuff is rated for and exactly how much is still remaining adding any water can dilute the fluid above the freeze point.