XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Won't start jag xf

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start jag xf

Hello i'm new to this forum and i am having an issue with my fathers jaguar xf.

He left me the lovely car as he is on holiday and i have been using for the past few days, tonight as i got in i pressed the start button, it would not start it just kind of flashed up several warning faults - engine fault, gearbox fault ebs fault were a few that i noticed. The gear box dial that normally pops up will not, and when i get out to lock it seems to set the alarm off. Really worried as i feel like it must have been my fault or something, Due to the fact that i am the only one using it.

Any advice on what to do would be of great help, at first i was thinking maybe it was flat, but then i figured a car of this caliber probably wouldn't be so easy to leave a light on and flatten it. Also someone mentioned maybe its a lockdown thing? I'm really stuck and i am hoping its something not serious.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read in this forum that if the battery gets to low it does crazy things like that.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 PM

Hi,sundogger.

Do you know if me jump starting it would cause any issues? Maybe to electrical stuff?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by timecode2
.... Do you know if me jump starting it would cause any issues? Maybe to electrical stuff?
YES - it certainly can.

Jaguar have specific instructions for jump starting recent models to avoid damaging sensitive electronics.

Here are the instructions for the XF. Note the line I've highlighted with a red arrow about not connecting directly to the negative battery terminal:

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Won't start jag xf-xf-jump-start.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
XJL (02-04-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Thanks GGG, I will try this tomorrow morning and i hope it means problem solved, no idea how i could of drained the battery pretty sure i did not leave anything on so its strange to me.

I will be using a booster pack thing, instead of a car that should be ok?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 AM

So i tried using my portable jump starter, and it used all the juice from it did not really make any difference. I called up Jaguar for advice they told me if its the battery i will need a battery charger, so that is my next step. Can anyone tell me how long i should be leaving a battery charger on before trying to start the car?

They tried to help me with Jaguar assist, just my luck it expired on October, and I can't afford the call out.

Last edited by timecode2; 02-04-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:32 AM

I am thinking it should be around 6 hours or more but wondered if anyone got any idea?

Last edited by timecode2; 02-04-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably a silly question--but since you are new to this car I will ask. You are fully deploying the brake pedal as you press the start button--correct?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 PM

yes i am although it seems harder than normal like as if i can barely push it in.

I just charged it with a charger thing my friend gave me for an hour and a half then turned it on, the stereo came on it seemed better however,

it said apply foot brake and park brake so i did then i pressed the start button, it just shut down?!

My thoughts are maybe i need to charge it a lot longer. The window wipers were going on their own and i could not stop it, lucky they have stopped!

I think i will leave it to die tonight then try charging it for several hours tomorrow, do you think that is my best option?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM
GGG

I am thinking it should be around 6 hours or more but wondered if anyone got any idea?
If it's flat then it will take around twelve hours to fully charge.

The Driver's Handbook gives the warning that the battery should be charged off the vehicle:

This probably isn't absolutely critical as many of us use battery tenders (e.g. CTEK) on modern Jaguars not in regular use) without disconnection.

The warning about battery removal and replacement only being "carried out by qualified personnel" is because a number of settings are lost when the battery is disconnected. With a flat battery, this will already have happened.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Won't start jag xf-x250-battery-charging.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 PM
GGG

......... The window wipers were going on their own and i could not stop it, lucky they have stopped!

I think i will leave it to die tonight then try charging it for several hours tomorrow, do you think that is my best option?
The vehicle depends on having a well charged battery in good condition.

All kinds of weird electrical faults can appear when the battery is down. Give it time to fully charge and many of these issues should disappear.

Graham

Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM

Ah i just put the charger thing on i made sure not to use negative on battery and put it on the middle part of the spare tyre. I'm starting to think maybe just leave the car alone until he comes back in 10 days, would i be ok to try charging it tomorrow for several hours or could it cause an issue?

Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM
GGG

Does he have a violent temper?

Joking aside, give it a good charge tomorrow before you even attempt to start it. You're in a situation where nothing can be achieved until the battery is fully charged.

It's unlikely to be anything more serious so you might as well get it running.

Graham

Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Ok i will thanks Graham,

and well that car is his pride and joy, since i'm the only one using it i guess i'm to blame (in my head) so i would prefer to get it back on track rather than tell him.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Just an update, its running fine now, so glad about that. I think maybe i was using alot of electricity since i turned the audio settings + sub all to max. I can only think that was what went wrong maybe .

Old 02-05-2014, 12:40 PM
GGG

Pleased to hear it.

A battery in good condition should easily cope with running all the 'toys' provided you aren't just doing very short and infrequent journeys.

Removing the smartkey and double locking the vehicle when parked also puts the electrical systems into 'sleep' mode thereby reducing battery drain.

Graham

Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Ah ok, ill remember that, currently got another issue that has popped up. "DPF is full" its in the Amber light so i did what it said and read the handbook, looks like i will need to take it for a 20 minute drive or so, according to the handbook. The full consumption on these cars is ridiculous i think ill be spending a fair bit if i need to take it on a long drive.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:59 PM

Just wanted to reply this old thread so others can benefit. Yday my xf started behaving weird. Side lamps front and rear didn't go off. And car won't start. Side lights were on whole night as couldn't talk to jaguar dealer. Called them in the morning as I was getting it towed it to their place. Jump started twice but didn't work. The second guy who came to tow my car was an experienced guy he told my car has low battery and it need bigger jump starter. Initially I didn't believe him but as soon as he hooked it up car started so when battery is low they behave weird.