XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Would you buy a Jag with no dealership close

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a Jag with no dealership close

Hello everyone,
I've been a lurker here for sometime. I have always loved the prestige and look of Jaguars.

However, I have just recently test driven an 09 XF for the first time. Actually my first time in any Jaguar. I was on vacation in Vegas and visited Gaudin Motors.

They did not have the 2007 XJ I was originally interested in (they sold it at auction). I can't even begin to tell you how impressed my wife and I were driving this car.

What a beautiful piece of machinery! Art, class, function... I could go on and on but I think you know what I'm talking about.

I have 2 questions:

1. Would you consider buying a Jaguar if the nearest dealership was over 5 hours away. I live in Helena Mt. and the nearest dealership is Lylepearson Jaguar in Spokane Wa. Over 300 miles away!

2. I am looking for a comfortable cruiser. Something that is quiet and gets decent fuel mileage. The XF we test drove was the quietest car I have ever been in.

I used to own a 2006 Mercedes C230 and thought that it was quiet. Lets just admit it. The XF IS in another class in every which way and form. Man I love this car. Anyway, has anyone here driven the XF and the XJ?

I would be curious as to how quiet they are in comparison. As I said, the XF was very quiet, but we rented a piece of crap Dodge Avenger, and it seemed equally as quiet as far as wind noise is concerned, however, the Avenger did have considerably more road noise.

I have just always looked at XJ8's online, but have never driven one. I thought this was they only way to go until this past weekend after driving the XF. What do you guys and gals think? Thanks in advance for your response! And thank you for such an awesome forum!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there, I'm sure the XF crowd will chime in soon with their views on the subject.

Rest assured that If at any point you decide to go withg this or any other Jag there is a great resource of likeminded and very knowledgable people here to help.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Haven't driven an XJ, but own an XF. Had the car for about 3 months and road noise is not an issue in the car for me.

My dealer is about 1 hr. and 20 minutes away. They pick up my car and give me a loaner for service, although I haven't had to use the service yet. 300 miles is a long way to go, even if once a year. Maybe others here have a similar situation and can comment. Will this be your only car?

Last edited by jaguny; 09-04-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Regardless of how many other cars you have or how much time you have on your hands, I would not buy a car of any brand if the nearest dealer were more than an hour's drive away. The only exception would be if the car were an older collector car where you had no dealer warranty in the first place and I had a local mechanic who could repair and maintain it for me.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by underdog01
Hello everyone,
I've been a lurker here for sometime. I have always loved the prestige and look of Jaguars.

However, I have just recently test driven an 09 XF for the first time. Actually my first time in any Jaguar. I was on vacation in Vegas and visited Gaudin Motors.

They did not have the 2007 XJ I was originally interested in (they sold it at auction). I can't even begin to tell you how impressed my wife and I were driving this car.

What a beautiful piece of machinery! Art, class, function... I could go on and on but I think you know what I'm talking about.

I have 2 questions:

1. Would you consider buying a Jaguar if the nearest dealership was over 5 hours away. I live in Helena Mt. and the nearest dealership is Lylepearson Jaguar in Spokane Wa. Over 300 miles away!

2. I am looking for a comfortable cruiser. Something that is quiet and gets decent fuel mileage. The XF we test drove was the quietest car I have ever been in.

I used to own a 2006 Mercedes C230 and thought that it was quiet. Lets just admit it. The XF IS in another class in every which way and form. Man I love this car. Anyway, has anyone here driven the XF and the XJ?

I would be curious as to how quiet they are in comparison. As I said, the XF was very quiet, but we rented a piece of crap Dodge Avenger, and it seemed equally as quiet as far as wind noise is concerned, however, the Avenger did have considerably more road noise.

I have just always looked at XJ8's online, but have never driven one. I thought this was they only way to go until this past weekend after driving the XF. What do you guys and gals think? Thanks in advance for your response! And thank you for such an awesome forum!!!
Any Land Rover dealerships nearby? That may be a workaround if there are any.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I love the XF but I don't think I'd buy a car under warranty when the shop is more than 1 hour away. Say you have a few issues like most seem to have. You'd probably bring it in 2-3 times a year. If you can deal with that then get it.

I've swapped hundreds of motors so I know how to fix my own cars but if the car is under warranty I'd rather have the dealer take car of it.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm firmly in the "No" camp when it comes to buying new (or still under warranty)without nearby dealer support. No matter how reliable a car is, something will eventually break, and when it does, are you comfortable having the car flatbedded 300 miles for repair? I have purposely not purchased Audi and Land Rover for that very reason.

If you have a local shop that can handle the unique requirements of a Jag (and knows what they're doing with one), then I could see buying a car that's out of warranty without having a dealer nearby. It would still be a risky decision in my book, though.

There are just too many things on modern cars that require special tools or computer interfaces to rely on a "general" mechanic any more, especially for something like a Jag that isn't all that common. And if the car is under warranty, why try?

It's a shame too, as I used to drive an Audi and loved it. I would have gotten another one, except I moved somewhere without a dealer. Same goes for my Saab - good car, but the dealer left town and basic maintenance suddenly became a heroic struggle, so I got rid of it.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Your in Big Sky Country, baby! Buy it and enjoy the drive!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM

My dealer is almost an hour away and NO, I would not entertain the thought of a Jaguar if the dealer was farther away than he is. My 2010 XF has spent an inordinate amount of time in the shop and I believe that I would have considered jumping from a bridge if the drive was any longer!!!!!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Vapour Trail, you have no idea how much I want to do just that.

This will not be my only car, however, it would be used as my main car. I guess I don't mind driving, even if it is a couple times a year, 300 miles to have the car serviced. My main concern is when the car suffers catastrophic failure or if for whatever reason it is not safe or capable of being driven 300 miles. If most of the problems are mere electrical issues that do not affect drivability, I'm willing to take the risk. Its a crap shoot. I may have to move

Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can only vouch for my '12 XF. It has not seen the dealer since I picked it up new 6 months ago. I have had no issues with the car period. I suspect the first visit will be the one year service. Not sure I'd want to be over 300 miles from my dealer though. Is there an independent garage in your area that works on Jags in your immediate area ?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 PM

Dadio,

There is this place called VDubs and More. They specialize in older Porsches, Audi's, and of course VW's. I'm sure I could find someone to do most of the mechanical or more simple problems. I'm not a bad shade tree mechanic myself. However, I'm fairly certain no one around here will have specialized equipment for todays newer Jaguars. I'm really trying hard to justify purchasing an XF. I'm curious as to how often this specialized computer equipment is necessary. The real question is, just how often is a dealer shop necessary for repairs?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by greenie
My dealer is almost an hour away and NO, I would not entertain the thought of a Jaguar if the dealer was farther away than he is. My 2010 XF has spent an inordinate amount of time in the shop and I believe that I would have considered jumping from a bridge if the drive was any longer!!!!!!!
Jenkintown? Why not take it to Willow Grove?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Dadio,

I'm curious as to how often this specialized computer equipment is necessary. The real question is, just how often is a dealer shop necessary for repairs?
Theoretically, you shouldn't need the computers. There are updates for the modules that need the computer but mechanicals can be done by anyone that knows their way around a wrench. Another idea that was mentioned already, are there any Land Rover dealers closer? You can have the oil changes done there since they will already have the oil and filter on hand. Computer updates can be done as well but at a cost to you. Non Dual-Branded (Jaguar and Land Rover under the same dealer group or roof) dealers cannot do the warranty work for the other brand. They won't do it because they won't get paid by the manufacturer. Each other brand has access to the same information on the diagnostic (SDD) computer and Topix system, although. It is something to consider.

Good Luck

Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Vapour Trail, you have no idea how much I want to do just that.

This will not be my only car, however, it would be used as my main car. I guess I don't mind driving, even if it is a couple times a year, 300 miles to have the car serviced. My main concern is when the car suffers catastrophic failure or if for whatever reason it is not safe or capable of being driven 300 miles. If most of the problems are mere electrical issues that do not affect drivability, I'm willing to take the risk. Its a crap shoot. I may have to move
Jaguar roadside assistance came with the warranty on my 2011 XF, which tows to the nearest dealer if the car becomes undrivable. I don't know the terms of the 2009 warranty that you're looking at, but it's something to ask the dealer about. I've driven mine for almost 21,000 miles and the only issue (besides standard maintenance at 15,000) was that I had to replace worn brake pads today.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM

The nearest Rover dealership is the said shop in Spokane. The capital of Montana is still in the sticks it seems.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by mtravis
Jaguar roadside assistance came with the warranty on my 2011 XF, which tows to the nearest dealer if the car becomes undrivable. I don't know the terms of the 2009 warranty that you're looking at, but it's something to ask the dealer about. I've driven mine for almost 21,000 miles and the only issue (besides standard maintenance at 15,000) was that I had to replace worn brake pads today.
Was the brake pad change out covered by the '11 warranty as I was told by my dealer? Front or rear?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 AM

The nearest Rover dealership is the said shop in Spokane. The capital of Montana is still in the sticks it seems.
Ha, I must have missed that. Tough decision indeed.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

can you do most maintenance on your vehicles now how mechanically inclined are you the XF is really not a hard car to work on if your familiar with electronics on today's cars if you only need a dealer to do major work then I think you will enjoy the car its really no different than most of the better cars out there they all have some problem or other and there are a lot of OEM vendors online if you need parts I have the 09 and so far its been a great car so if you like the car go for it

Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

God's country!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a Jag with no dealership close