XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

X pipe replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default X pipe replacement questions

I was doing some other exhaust work on my xf supercharged and was wondering if it was worth it to replace the front muffler with than X pipe like on the xfr-s?
does any one know the diameter to use?
what benefits the x pipe gives us?

Old 06-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

I have done several modifications to my 2013 5.0SC.

I first removed the whole center section and installed straight pipes from the cats to the mufflers. It sounded great inside the car. Outside it sounds good until I went more than about 50% throttle, then it got a sound like a metallic rattle.

I tried to reduce that metallic rattle by cutting out the muffler valves but it did not help and I actually did not notice much of a tone change with the valves deleted.

The performance fell at off-idle and low throttle. At wide open, I could not tell much difference, but off-idle performance was less.

I recently had an "X" pipe installed in center section (no middle resonators) and my low end power is MUCH better. The sound is very smooth and very European sounding. Used to sound like a Mustang but now sounds like a much higher revving Euro motor.

I love the sound and performance now.

As I understand what and "X" pipe does is it smooths out the "pulses" from each firing and helps scavenge the exhaust gases out of the cylinders and that helps reduce the amount of force it takes to suck the next intake charge into the cylinder. It basically acts like a syphon pulling the exhaust out instead of having to be pushed out by the next incoming intake charge.

I love my new "X" pipe.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
I recently had an "X" pipe installed in center section (no middle resonators) and my low end power is MUCH better. The sound is very smooth and very European sounding. Used to sound like a Mustang but now sounds like a much higher revving Euro motor.

I love the sound and performance now. I love my new "X" pipe.
My experiences exactly.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

I liked the sound, there was maybe less popping on deceleration but the roar had more rasp in the mid to high range.

I found the main benefit and difference in driveability was a very noticeable increase in pickup during hard acceleration at freeway speeds. It made more of a difference there than i was expecting.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you guys notice any amplification of drone after the x-pipe install? My axleback drones already when the engine is under load just under 2k rpm.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I did not, but mine is relatively quiet since I'm just using modified stock boxes. It's one of the reasons I went that direction, so I didn't lose the ability to use the car as a luxury tourer.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I went from dead stock to H-pipe plus after-market straight through mufflers, and it was too droney for me.
I then put the stock rear mufflers back on and kept the H-pipe in place, and that quietened it right down and eliminated the drone completely.
It probably ended up a bit too quiet for some, but it was "just right" for me.
I'm 99% sure that fitting an X (or H) pipe to an existing axle back system will not increase any pre-existing drone, and it's much more likely to smooth the sound out a bit and maybe reduce the drone a little.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I already have the eurocharged pulley, and I have the eurocharged tune sitting in my homeoffice. I read somewhere that the x pipe is "vital" when you get something similar to the xfrs tune. is this true?