XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 2.0t intermittent low power

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 01:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XF 2.0t intermittent low power

Hi all.

i have recently purchased a 2013 XF with the 2.0t and absolutely love it, my first jaguar and by a substantial margin my newest car.

i have noticed that without any indication why, the car will loose pretty much all of its power, it still drives alright, though i think i feel a slightly rougher running engine. but just no power.
when its running properly its off like a rocket. but when its playing up with feels incredibly bland and lazy.

its not the gearbox being in the wrong gear or turbo lag because even if i use the paddles and put it in 1st, what normal would be lighting quick is anemic at best.

i have a generic OBDII scanner but it doesn't seem to pick up any codes, however i understand these cheap scanners often are useless for these cars. i will probably sooner rather than later now pickup a better scanner.

I've spent more time than i probably should searching forums and google but cant quite find anyone with the same issue, with most people simply having complaints about the time it takes to shift down gears, which incidentally i find performs very well when the car is happy.

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-08-2022, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power.

Could well just need a fuel filter, something that simple.
I think you’ll find it’s a 2.2 in your 2013 XF.
The 2.0t didn’t come out till 2015-16 in the X260 XF, the 2013 was an X250 XF.

Last edited by Nigwel1058; 10-08-2022 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the reply, it is definitely a 2.0 turbo petrol 'ecoboost' . The car is new Zealand new so perhaps it was an export model.

The following users liked this post:
Nigwel1058 (10-08-2022)
Old 03-13-2024, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate, did you end up finding the problem?

Old 03-14-2024, 12:20 AM

I got a decent scan tool, there wasn't much wrong but there was a code for something funky in the knock sensor system.
I have fitted new spark plugs which helped but didnt cure and have two new knock sensors to go on, aswell as two new o2 sensors (no codes but they much be old as i have no documentation of them being replaced) i also have a new trans filter to go in along with new fluid. I think this will take care of it, ive not been able to find a smoking gun. I do want to check the inlet valves for excessive carbon and will do this when i have the manifold off to get to the sensors.

one thing that has truely shocked me (and given you appear to be from Oz, you may have noticed) is that noone seems to work on their own Jaguars, theres next to no info on the net and noone really knows which end of a screw driver to use so ive had to go pretty oldschool. i mean just check the one reply i got here, some guy telling me my car is a 2.2 diesel, needless to say i gave up on the various jag forums pretty quickly.

hoping to find time, and a supplier of lifeguard 8 trans fluid to carry out the maintenance shortly

Old 04-16-2024, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ausjosh85
Hi mate, did you end up finding the problem?
I have sorted this now. I went to fix my new knock sensors and when i got in there i actually found both existing sensors bolts to be finger tight or looser. I have no idea why or how they came to be loose but there were no signs anyone else had ever been in there.
I replaced the sensors anyway but i suspect they were fine and the problem would have been fixed by torquing these bolts.

while i was in there i also cleaned the carbon off the inlet valves, my engine wasn't too bad and the very on/off intermittent nature of the fault means i do not thing this was a contributing factor, merely proper maintenance on my part and i would recommend the same if you remove the manifold.

the difference is night and day, while when the car was on fault the lower power and rough running (likely timing being pulled out) was very minor but it was a nuisance. now its smooth as can be, power is delivered predicably and for this reason the entire experience is substantially better. fuel economy has also improved. I still have o2 sensors to fit but i don't think they are currently broken, so this would be preventative.