XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 2.2 2012 AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF 2.2 2012 AC problem

Hello, I apologize in advance for my English
I have a problem with the air conditioning on my XF 2.2d 140kw. I managed to trace the problem, but I can't find the cause, I'll try to explain it here.
When I start the car for the first time, the air conditioner works perfectly, but if I stop the car, start it again after an hour, the air conditioner does not work anymore, it only starts while driving (if the outside temperature is high, sometimes it doesn't work at all) . Even while driving, I feel that the air conditioner sometimes turns off and humid air comes out of the ventilation, after a while it works as it should, then humid air again....
The car was serviced by my mechanic, the DSP valve was replaced, the air conditioning was filled, but the problem still persists. We watched how the air conditioner behaves, I have SDD diagnostics, the pressure in the air conditioner is fine, but the engine fan does not start (when first started the fan starts almost immediately and the air conditioning works the whole time until i turn the engine off). When driving after a repeated start in SDD with live data, there is no request to start the engine fan, the request shows 0%, I don't understand why when the air conditioner should require it, the pressure in the air conditioner is excellent. It doesn't look like an engine fan error, as the steep climb on the road started, there was also a request to start the engine fan, when we stopped, the fan actually went.
The first start, the air conditioning works without problems, for example even for 5 hours, however, when I turn off the engine and start it again after a while, the engine fan no longer starts, it starts only because of the temperature of the coolant.
Do you have any idea where the problem could be?

Thank you

Old 05-05-2024, 01:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K610
Hello, I apologize in advance for my English
I have a problem with the air conditioning on my XF 2.2d 140kw. I managed to trace the problem, but I can't find the cause, I'll try to explain it here.
When I start the car for the first time, the air conditioner works perfectly, but if I stop the car, start it again after an hour, the air conditioner does not work anymore, it only starts while driving (if the outside temperature is high, sometimes it doesn't work at all) . Even while driving, I feel that the air conditioner sometimes turns off and humid air comes out of the ventilation, after a while it works as it should, then humid air again....
The car was serviced by my mechanic, the DSP valve was replaced, the air conditioning was filled, but the problem still persists. We watched how the air conditioner behaves, I have SDD diagnostics, the pressure in the air conditioner is fine, but the engine fan does not start (when first started the fan starts almost immediately and the air conditioning works the whole time until i turn the engine off). When driving after a repeated start in SDD with live data, there is no request to start the engine fan, the request shows 0%, I don't understand why when the air conditioner should require it, the pressure in the air conditioner is excellent. It doesn't look like an engine fan error, as the steep climb on the road started, there was also a request to start the engine fan, when we stopped, the fan actually went.
The first start, the air conditioning works without problems, for example even for 5 hours, however, when I turn off the engine and start it again after a while, the engine fan no longer starts, it starts only because of the temperature of the coolant.
Do you have any idea where the problem could be?

Thank you
Cannot help you with that particular problem, but here's a bump to the first page.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure the refrigerant pressure sensor is working ok when the car is fully warmed up and the A/C isn't coming on? Does the SDD show you the status of the pressure sensor? (I have never used the SDD diagnostics...) One test would be to disconnect the pressure sensor wiring connector and temporarily connect the pins together on the wiring connector to see if the A/C system turns on.

I'm not finding the information I have seen before, but I recall reading there are certain scenarios where the A/C will be turned off temporarily in order to satisfy performance demands on the engine. E.g. under hard acceleration the A/C will be disabled. So maybe do some research to find the scenarios which temporarily disable the A/C and see if the signals which trigger that scenario might be accidentally firing when your car is fully warmed up.

Mike

Old 05-08-2024, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Here is my DPS repair thread on my 2014 XJR. Be aware that replacing just the DPS did not seem to work for me and I eventually replaced the entire compressor. Which I should have done in the first place! This also gets you a warranty which is of some value.
AC Repair

As I have posted before until we can get hi and low pressure reading's from the car we really can't help you? The actual numbers?
Do look at the TSB XJsss posted in the above thread as it tells you what to look for on the gauges. Maybe print that out and give it to your mechanic?
But your symptom of the fan NOT running when the AC is turned on points directly back to the DPS again?

Also be aware this failure will set no codes! The DPS is working but not working properly. It can be bench tested and I have tested my old one. It's just a simple 12VDC solenoid valve. Even though they will click and open up that does NOT tell you it is working properly when under computer control!

You "might" be better off replacing the entire compressor like I did BUT I also ran into some other issues with fittings being changed during production of the car.
On the plus side my car with the new compressor "seems" to be working OK. I just swapped the compressor last week and so far so good.