XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Xf 2.2 propshaft carrier bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Xf 2.2 propshaft carrier bearing replacement

Hi there, my name's Craig and I'm a newbie here. Apologys for the rant and asking a question on my first post. But, I'm a recent victim to an xf... I say victim as I bought what I thought was a beautiful clean low mileage car ..

​​​​​Less than 4 months into ownership, I need 4 new brake discs, pads all round, due to scorched and warped discs.
Before someone posts to say there's no such thing, please don't.
I've had 3 seized calipers, this heated the discs one at a time randomly during my 80mile each way daily motor way drive. This followed by my transmission becoming sloppy as hell and developing harsh shifting along with a vibration which cost me a trans repair and service.
Next came the Fuel transfer pump in the tank has died, new tank as the transfer pump isn't available on its own.
then the drivers door lock jammed,
And to put the final nail in the coffin, ​​​​today the drive shaft carrier bearing has decided to give up and start whining, then suddenly starts vibrating like hell. The bearing has locked and torn the rubber of the bush. As you've probably guessed I'm having a very bad day.

My reason for posting here is I'm trying to find out if an s type prop shaft bearing will fit the shaft of the 2.2? I have googled and searched and there seem to be a few conflicting answers, all of which are buried at the bottom of piles of x type shaft stories.

Sorry for the rant, but now I'll say thanks for any help guys could give me. I really appreciate it and hope to God after all these bits are fixed it's the end to the troubles. Else I may have to resort to a brick wall and as fast as the car will go...

​​​​

Old 04-10-2023, 05:27 PM
Default Conclusive positive solution

Hi guys, since nowhere on the net did I find the info about this issue. With anyone who could give me a definite answer, I thought after my earlier rant I'd tell you what I found. The carrier bearing /bushing is not available aftermarket anywhere !!! However there is a way around this. And it is not a bodge or a temp fix. It leaves the vehicle as it left the factory !

The carrier bearing that is used from factory is an aluminium offset d shaped housing with a rubber bushing and bearing as we all know. That bushing an bearing presses out of that housing with no problems leaving you with a perfect housing that can have a new bush and bearing fitted with no problems. Where did I get that bush and bearing???

L322 RANGEROVER rear prop carrier bearing is identical! Simply buy a 50 euro carrier bearing carefully cut the metal mount so as to release the metal ring and you are left with a perfect brand new new center bearing bush and bearing to press into your d shaped mount. Push it in, tab over the edge as it was on the original and there you have a brand new carrier bearing for a 2013 model 2.2 jag xf.

Total price of job 60 euro ( 50 for a bearing and 10 for a bottle of bearing fit for the housing to to have it nice and secure. Maybe over kill on that but but I wanted to be sure.) and countless hours of digging an searching for a new bearing. So if this can save someone the heartache I had, trying to get this part, I wish you all the best!!! Happy vibration free driving once more!

Old 08-10-2023, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, how did you go about removing the unwanted material ? Thank you.

Old 08-10-2023, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rogert
Hi, how did you go about removing the unwanted material ? Thank you.
jaguar part. iif you have the shaft /bearing off you will see it's basically like every other bushing. With a thin alloy sleeve around the rubber inside. It will simply push straight out. This alloy sleeve has a top hat design too so will only fit one way around.

With the doner Landrover bearing, I put a slit across the metal ring around the bushing with a hacksaw and it just popped out.

The following users liked this post:
Rogert (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 04:51 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Should be a sticky, great work around

Old 08-10-2023, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Should be a sticky, great work around
Thanks mate, I accept all major credit cards lol.

On a serious note though I searched for weeks to find the info for this as it didn't exist. I have since found that there are quite a few Jag bits that are common with Landy, I'll share them as I go changing stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Rogert (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 02:57 AM

Hi, there seems to be different styles of bearings for the L322 housing wise, not sure if the centres are all the same, can you remember the part number of the one you used, thanks

Old 08-11-2023, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rogert
Hi, there seems to be different styles of bearings for the L322 housing wise, not sure if the centres are all the same, can you remember the part number of the one you used, thanks
According to my invoice it was

DA2428

Please note I have no link to the above site it was simply the first one with an image when I did a Google search.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:14 AM

Great thanks, will order one today.