XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 2010 5.0 V8 NA to supercharged conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 12:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XF 2010 5.0 V8 NA to supercharged conversion?

Hey there guys!

I am a new member and a newbie to fiddling around with cars as well. I recently got myself an XF 2010 NA 5.0 V8. Now I was keen on installing a supercharger on it, since I love the supercharger whine and the extra power it brings.

I've already searched this forum and found a few pists asking the same question and almost unanimously everybody suggested the poster to just sell the XF and get the XFS or the XFR. I would do just that, however, I don't have that option. Since in my country (India) Jaguar never released the XFS and the XFR practically flopped with only 10 units being sold countrywide. As a result the XFRs in my country are super rare and are very pricey (almost 3x for what I paid for my XF) due to the rarity.

I was wondering if there is a way to source and install the XFR supercharger on my XF and all while maintaining the reliability that I currently have. Also was wondering if, except for the supercharger if all of the internals between the XF and the XFR are the same?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!

Cheers from India, to all you beautiful people!

Old 01-21-2022, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Originally Posted by AKwire
Hey there guys!

I am a new member and a newbie to fiddling around with cars as well. I recently got myself an XF 2010 NA 5.0 V8. Now I was keen on installing a supercharger on it, since I love the supercharger whine and the extra power it brings.

I've already searched this forum and found a few pists asking the same question and almost unanimously everybody suggested the poster to just sell the XF and get the XFS or the XFR. I would do just that, however, I don't have that option. Since in my country (India) Jaguar never released the XFS and the XFR practically flopped with only 10 units being sold countrywide. As a result the XFRs in my country are super rare and are very pricey (almost 3x for what I paid for my XF) due to the rarity.

I was wondering if there is a way to source and install the XFR supercharger on my XF and all while maintaining the reliability that I currently have. Also was wondering if, except for the supercharger if all of the internals between the XF and the XFR are the same?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!

Cheers from India, to all you beautiful people!
As you say this question has been asked a few times before.
The bottom line is yes it could be done, but it would be horrendously difficult and expensive, and to the best of my knowledge no-one has ever successfully done it.
Other than the supercharger itself the main mechanical difference is the pistons, they are quite different as the SC is (and must be) lower compression than the NA. Good luck finding a full set of decent SC pistons at a reasonable price!
The only difference in the bare block that I know of is the oil squirters on the SC only, which squirt oil onto the undersides of the pistons. Maybe they are not vital but who knows, and who knows if or how they could be installed in the NA block.
The next biggie is the ECU/PCM which would need to be completely reprogrammed or swapped over and who knows if that would work, and who knows how many other components, systems and modules (TCU?) would also need to modified or reprogrammed.
That is why everyone so far has said forget it and just get an XFR or XF SC instead.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,869 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1 to OzXFR's discouragement although it's not what you wanted to hear.

As India is also a 'drive on the left' country, I was going to suggest you consider a UK import. However, the import duty looks extremely high and I noticed mention of a three year old limit in the regulations.

Graham

Old 01-23-2022, 02:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang! I guess I'm really out of luck in this case then. Because importing would cost even more than if I do manage to find the rare XFR. Which in itself isn't cheap and the one I noticed a few months ago costed 3x the price I paid and it sold out in 1 day. I guess I'll just have to collect some money and wait in this case or find an alternative. Do you guys perhaps know if there's any other aspiration swap that anyone has been successfully been able to perform in this specific car with decent reliability?

Old 01-25-2022, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Have you looked at tuning? Your V8 already puts out 385hp. Look at a reputable tune like Velocity AP who make one for the non SC V8 engine. Not sure what it boosts power to - maybe ask Chris at VAP?