XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF or A8, E550, E55, 335?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default XF or A8, E550, E55, 335?

Yes I know that is a lot of cars and some quite different. The deal is that I'm looking for a new sedan to compliment my new toy which I'm shopping for now as well. I love cars of all types having owned things like NSX, several M cars, Porsches, Lotus, Viper, 740il, Jag XJR, S2000, Evo etc. In other words; I have the disease! Here are some pics of a few of them: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976/2007-bmw-m

The wife will drive this car daily as I work from home, and it will be our primary sedan. For this reason I'd like to enjoy it as well! I'd lik to get all of your feedback on the XF and what else you looked at. Our last luxurysedan was an XJR which the wife felt made her feel "old" and she's 27. Currently we have a 98 Estoril Blue M3 Sedan on white leather. This is an old platform and she has gotten her fill of the unique factor of the reto M and wants more refinement. I also want a quality piece of kit when we take friends out etc. Finally, I don't like to see myself coming and going.

I'm digging the short body A8's. They look incredible and have fabulous interiors. Depending on how much I spend on the toy I'd like to keep the sedan under $50k. Some times I think I should find a nice sedan for under $30k as there are so many options why spend more? The XF is gorgeous and lots of bang for the buck. But I think the new E550 will age better than XF and a used one can be had around $45k. The 335 is a beast and lots of fun to drive; yet it is refined. Can be had in low $20's; only problem is that they're everywhere!

Anyhow, here are my questions for you guys to help determine if the XF is the perfect compromise sedan for us:

1) I'm thinking the 10' is the ideal model to go for as they all have 385hp. Are there any other options that are a must?

2) How reliable are they? Do they have electical gremlins, leaks and something always breaking?

3) How is the aftermarket for clean yet aggressive wheels and perhaps a drop?

That's it for now. Any other feedback is greatly appreciated. Will continue reading up!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The E class is nice. I thought about buying one instead of the XF(when i am ready to), but they are just too popular. Jaguar is more exclusive and i think the interior in the XF just blows away MB and BMW interiors.

1. I would try to go for a 2010, since some of the problems the 09s had were fixed in the latter models. And, as you said, the 5.0 liter engine is a huge plus.

2. One major issue from what i have been seeing is the gear selector. (09s)
In terms of reliability, i think every make and model is going to have it's issues - from Suzuki to Phantom Rolls Royce. There is the good bunch and the bad bunch. It's matter of finding the right car, that's been taking care of.

3. Wheels! Coventry makes few different sets of wheels exclusively for Jaguars. As far as the drop goes, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Coventry Wheels for Jaguar - the Proper Wheels for Jaguar Motor Cars

Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XF

If you come here it's obvious that I will say XF since I am biased.
But I've driven a Merc, BMW and Jag XF and I get the most looks when I am driving the Jag. Everyone drives a BMW and Merc. In the car park I just see them everywhere and was just tired of the looks of BMW and Mercs. If you want to try something different you just have to get the Jag. I am driving a 2011 model and it is just so easy to drive. It's been a few months now and given a second chance I would still buy the Jag. It's in a class of it's own now. If I were to get a Jag. It would have to be fully loaded and with 20 inch wheels at least.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree on the looks of the XF. It looks like a 4 door Aston or something. Just svelte yet muscular and ready to pounce. Regarding aftermarket wheels there does't seemt to be a lot of selection - at least not on mainstream places like Tirerack.

The Coventry wheels seem like heavy 1 piece cast wheels of not the highest quality. Somewhat remind me of Breyton for BMW. I also wonder about the fitment. Do they properly fill the wheel wells or sit in too far? Seems I would probably have to get a custom wheel.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

The wheel fitment would depend on the offset and the width of the wheels.

I personally don't think you have to get custom wheels made up for the XF. Even though, the car does have a not so popular bolt pattern, but there are still plenty of nice looking wheels out there. Just find the wheels with 5x108 bolt pattern.

VOSSEN wheels

I actually have the same exact bolt pattern on my Lincoln and was able to find a set of TSWs to my liking.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Bolt pattern is common enough. The problems appear to be rim width, offset and possibly hubcenter bore size. Ford uses this bolt circle as does Volvo which is what Jaguar does also. Aftermarket wheels with correct fit are hard to find. Lowering would not make any sense.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
The XF is gorgeous and lots of bang for the buck. But I think the new E550 will age better than XF and a used one can be had around $45k. The 335 is a beast and lots of fun to drive; yet it is refined. Can be had in low $20's; only problem is that they're everywhere!
These and the other prospectives are all desirable cars, but don't you think only the XF has any real exclusivity...if that's important to you? The various Mercedes and BMW's are just so popular and common, and while there are differences between the various models, the overall look leaves me looking for something different...anything that doesn't look like them. Not a lot to consider, unless you decide to get the Aston or Maserati sedan And between these 3 beauties I bet the XF would be the most reliable.

Bruce

Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

You are just anybody with those cars namely with Mercedes Benz , in a jag you should be feeling a different way .
However, W212 Mercedes Benz is my fave car and it will be my next ride . Not to mention it's very agressive and better designed , this part is all personal you know so opinions vary

Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
These and the other prospectives are all desirable cars, but don't you think only the XF has any real exclusivity...if that's important to you? The various Mercedes and BMW's are just so popular and common, and while there are differences between the various models, the overall look leaves me looking for something different...anything that doesn't look like them. Not a lot to consider, unless you decide to get the Aston or Maserati sedan And between these 3 beauties I bet the XF would be the most reliable.

Bruce

For the price yes XF. But if I had more dosh I'd go for the Aston Martin DBS or Rapide. Just beautiful on the inside. I think the wheels which comes with the BLack Pack looks really nice. Also because it is kinda black grey you don't need to wash it that often

Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Nothing drives like a British car and Jaguar has about the best of the British suspension out there. No automotive engineers can beat the British when it comes to suspension.

The Jag flat outhandles, steers and brakes better than any German car in its class. Of the cars you mention only the Audi comes close in handling and it understeers relentlessly. Unless you need awd (and nobody actually does) then get the XF. If you need more power, and who doesn't, get the 2010 or later cars or a supercharged one.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
I actually have the same exact bolt pattern on my Lincoln and was able to find a set of TSWs to my liking.
Beucase the XF is based on an "updated" S-type platform and the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type shared the same platform.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was looking at the similar cars. I have owned BMW and MB. I love the ride of the BMW, hate the technology interface. Did not like the turbo lag of the 335. Did not care for the ride of the MB, just a bit too soft. Audi's are nice, I was looking at the new A7 but wanted the ability to seat 5 if needed. After looking at them all used, went with the XFR. Crazy perfomance and is a great everyday driver and love the more aggressive styling that comes with the R. Used R's, similar to used m5's can be had at quite a bargain. Performance similar to an M5, pre 2012 versions, but much better fuel economy and better daily driver around town and are unique as well. Check one out, you will not be sorry.
XF or A8, E550, E55, 335?-jag-rt-side.jpg

Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Beucase the XF is based on an "updated" S-type platform and the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type shared the same platform.
That's correct. I actually used to have a pdf file saved on my computer that showed exactly what was similar and different on both the S type and the LS.