XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Coolant leak Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XF Coolant leak Water Pump

Purchased 2010 XF 5.0 premium with 110K miles last week from older woman that was a easy driver. Would be surprised if she ever pushed it past 3500 rpm's.

I have driven the car pretty easy until today. All has seemed great so far no issues at all. Decided to put the XF into S mode and stretch her legs. reeved 1st 2nd and 3rd to about 5500 RPM's and soon after received a LOW COOLANT message.

Pulled over the next safest spot about 1.5 minutes after coolant message came on. Opened the hood/bonnet and noticed steam from front area of engine. Took off engine top cover, bottom right/Passenger side of cover showed large spot 8"x8"of coolant as well as on top of water pump, down front of engine and at base of radiator.

So towed her home and added coolant, ran the motor and listened for any oddities. Nothing that i could tell sounded like a bad water pump, but sound is not always the issue when a pump goes bad. Check the plastic crossover pipe and it looks dry.

So anyone else seen this with their XF? Any related input greatly welcomed. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
CaseyEllsworth (08-12-2019)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Centre to X250 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 06-24-2017, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

old ladies are always trying to push up on me at the light....maybe she was drilling that car all along>>>!!!!....lol...

Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

There are a number of plastic thin lines that run all over that area. Normally, this is the place where issues occur. After time, they get brittle and crack. One such place is the one that comes out of the water pump. It is a bypass line. I have the same XF as you with the normally aspirated 5.0 engine. And I replaced all my plastic lines around 60k miles. Be aware though that one of the bypass lines coming from the top where the thermostat is and going to the waterpump has been superseded by a new part and part number.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I had the exact same thing happening this weekend. I topped coolant off but there seems to be a leak. What was the resolution to your problem?

QUOTE=jaydid2;1708123]Purchased 2010 XF 5.0 premium with 110K miles last week from older woman that was a easy driver. Would be surprised if she ever pushed it past 3500 rpm's.

I have driven the car pretty easy until today. All has seemed great so far no issues at all. Decided to put the XF into S mode and stretch her legs. reeved 1st 2nd and 3rd to about 5500 RPM's and soon after received a LOW COOLANT message.

Pulled over the next safest spot about 1.5 minutes after coolant message came on. Opened the hood/bonnet and noticed steam from front area of engine. Took off engine top cover, bottom right/Passenger side of cover showed large spot 8"x8"of coolant as well as on top of water pump, down front of engine and at base of radiator.

So towed her home and added coolant, ran the motor and listened for any oddities. Nothing that i could tell sounded like a bad water pump, but sound is not always the issue when a pump goes bad. Check the plastic crossover pipe and it looks dry.

So anyone else seen this with their XF? Any related input greatly welcomed. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with the person above. I suspect a leak in my coolant somewhere but I don't know where. Next step is to pressure test.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen twice in the last week. Thursday's visit to the shop - $900 for three hoses. Got it back on Friday, and Saturday morning I had to get across three lanes of traffic, gave it a little more gas than usual (nothing crazy), and all of my coolant dumped out. Towed back to shop. This morning they say it's the water pump (which I replaced 23 months ago).

Jaydid, how did you resolve this once and for all?

Thanks,

Casey