XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Coolant Sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XF Coolant Sensor replacement

Hi all,
I have an 09 XF Supercharged and am replacing coolant sensor. I removed the wire clip and pulled sensor out of tank, it felt like there was a seal or something when it came out, it is not easy to get to under the side rear of tank.
I have a new one and put it in but it does not seem to clip in it just falls out. Obviously the wire clip needs fitting but my question is - Is it only the wire clip keeps the sensor in place or do I need to apply force to get it to click into the hole, into a seal?
Would really appreciate any helpful comments.
Thank you
Steve
San Diego

Old 12-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

You're talking about the expansion tank, right? That tank comes out really easily (I replaced mine about a month ago). It's probably worth doing that so you can tear into it properly and see what might be missing.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 AM

Yes the expansion tank and thanks for that, it makes a lot of sense to remove tank.
Steve

Old 12-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

So you can replace just the sensor? That's really good news. Can you please give me a link to where I can get on as I have the same issue. I was getting ready to replace the whole tank, at $212, but since only the sensor is T/U, I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper.

BTW some previous posters mentioned putting a foam gasket that comes out of a pack of blank CD's under the existing sensor, I never understood how that could be even vaguely possible, but now I can see how it might be!

Arrgh, I just realized what you were saying, in your case it is the sensor not the float.... Drat!

Last edited by timfountain; 12-17-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Default Coolant sensor

09 2009 Jaguar XF Coolant Level Sensor - Cooling System - Genuine - PartsGeek

Yep, the sensor, easy to replace it just snaps out but it is not so easy to snap in although I did it by using a lever/bar with a 90 degree bend on it, you just hook it under the base of the sensor and snap upwards, seals good, easy.

You can remove the tank which is also pretty easy but this is quicker. Sorry if that does not help your float problem but may help others.
Steve

Old 12-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Default New Sensor, no leaks, now what?

I fitted a new sensor in the overflow tank on my 09 XF and my red Low Coolant warning light is still on. The coolant is not leaking and the engine is not overheating.
Is there a float in the tank and can it be fixed or is it a tank replacement or what else would cause this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

May take a few start and stop cycles to clear.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sdred
I fitted a new sensor in the overflow tank on my 09 XF and my red Low Coolant warning light is still on. The coolant is not leaking and the engine is not overheating. Is there a float in the tank and can it be fixed or is it a tank replacement or what else would cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve
It's the float. Happened to mine. They won't sell you the float so a lot of forum members bought new tanks. I did the easy fix. If you open the lid take the black cap off with needle nose pliers. You will see your float is at the bottom cause it's dead.

Pull the float out and find a piece of foam or something that will float, cut a hole in it just big enough to fit over the pole, then put float back on and put black cap back on. And you will never have this problem again.

The tricky part, is when you put a piece of foam on the pole and then trying to put float back on and the black cap with just two hands.

I took long needle nose and pushed everything to the bottom and then put black cap on. It was a pain in the *** but it worked. The hardest part is finding something that floats and is thin and won't dissolve over time in the tank.

The only way I can describe what I used is if you take out your tail lights. There is a circle piece of rubber, kinda like a gasket. And it's between the bolt and body of the car. Well it floats really good and will never break up. I had two behind one of my bolts. So I used one of them and made the hole bigger to fit over the pole in the tank.

That was two years ago.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:09 PM

Thank you, I have attached two pics, is mine similar to yours as I don't see a black cap at the bottom of the tank.

Attached Thumbnails XF Coolant Sensor replacement-img_0720.jpg   XF Coolant Sensor replacement-img_0723.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
lholmes71 (01-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sdred
Thank you, I have attached two pics, is mine similar to yours as I don't see a black cap at the bottom of the tank.
It's right in your face in the second pic. The black circle on the pole. Take some needle nose and pull up on it. It will come out. Then use the needle nose and retrieve your float which is also on the pole sunk to the bottom.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Jaguar xf

Hi will this be the same for my 2011 . I have a coolant level low warning however no coolant is leaking or low so I’m assuming it may be the sensor?
please help