XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Dash Sepration

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF Dash Sepration

2012 XF dash covering separated , after a back and forth with local dealer and corporate, finally obtained some participation for replacement. My cost 2,000.

Fast forward the replacement dash is separating, the battle has begun as corporate customer service told me they only will help once. Plus its what happens when i choose to own a luxury car??

Letter to corporate in process noting faulty product is well know and they ignore it. Posting on SM as well.

FC in Florida

Last edited by Cambo; 08-15-2020 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

A quick search will reveal this is a known problem at least with the earlier dash tops - I know they revised the design with staples around the edge of the dash top, but the fundamental issue appears to be the glue used to stick the leather to the dash top breaks down in the heat and you then get bubbles and lifting. This issue will obviously be more pronounced in places like FL.

How long did the replacement dash last before this happened, out of interest?

Other forum members (including me) have opted for having the existing dash recovered or reglued - you may have more success with this, though removing the dashboard can be a bit of a pain unless you're a competent DIYer, but I'd think that you could pay an Indie to remove/refit the dash, with an upholsterer re-gluing the dash covering with maybe better glue (?) for probably less than Jaguar will want for a new dash top.

Since I had my dash recovered in suede I've also just accepted that I will have to use a windscreen shade when parking the car in direct sunlight, which would probably go a long way to extending the life of these.

It sucks, because as you point out, it's generally viewed as a luxury car and of all the things to fail, the glue holding the leather to the dash seems like a small thing that wouldn't be hard for them to rectify permanently as other manufacturers seem to have managed it, but I guess this might be one instance where it's better to modify rather than stick to OEM. If Jaguar are unwilling to help you, see if you can find an upholsterer near you who can probably do a better job with your existing dash than a replacement will be.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second taking to a reputable trim shop and trying to get it re-glued when you first notice the separation. I was able to get mine re-stretched and partially glued for $150 but I had to pull the dash. I also had the upholsterer add additional staples on the front and back of the dash to prevent further separation.