XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

That sounds very strange. I'm not sure there is a 'known fault' here? Maybe they have seen it before - but trying to prove Jag has built a bad product when there are tens of thousands running just fine is going to be a tall order.
unclear to me why Jaguar should pay if you're out of Jaguar warranty anyway.

But you have an extended service contract which presumably covers this sort of engine failure. So surely the company you have that contract with should pay to replace your engine just like your contract states. If they want to chase Jag and claim it's Jags fault, that should be on them. But I fail to see how that changes the fact you have a legal contract with a 3rd party covering your replacement. Let them fight jag if they want - in the meantime they owe you a repair

Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding known faults and manufacturer responsibilities, this is a bit off topic but if you guys haven't seen this so far it might be worth the read:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../110824/page1/

Took me a couple weeks to read it through but it was worth it.

TLDR.: OP does the best and worst prediction known to man in topic subject. MB AMG 63 engines prone to crack head bolts causing major leaks and possibly 40 k $ engine replacements. MB won't cover it and didn't recall although the issue was an engineering fault and in the know. OP refuses to pay 40-50k $ to get it done and tears his apart, fixes it taking you along the journey.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xf275 14 plate..

Evening all.... I've a Xf 275 on a 14 plate.... exactly the same just happened to me... blown the crank bearing... apparently something to do with the DPF and fuel... Jag quoting me £14,000 to repair... 6 years old with 92k on the clock.. full Jag service and last service (96k) one done 4k mile ago... Jag denying all knowledge that there's a problem with the 12-14 engines.... Anyone any advice on how to get jag yo cough up for this ????

Old 10-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes RifferXF275, we wrote two letters to Dr Speth CEO of Jaguar Land Rover and basically it was a waste of time, all he did was to pass us on to a Executive Case Manager.
That may sound impressive but from what l found out Jaguar's customer service is contracted to an outside company, that's how much they care about there customers as far as we are concerned JLR has become a money making machine who only cares about how much profit they make and the dividends there shareholders get.
Don't be mislead by being told that its a DPF problem JLR know very well that there is a problem with crankshafts breaking on the Lion engines manufactured at Ford's Dagenham Diesel Centre especially the Land Rover TDV6 version, just Google it to find out more here's one of many we found. LandyOnline Land Rover Blog: Land Rover Discovery TDV6 engine failures making headlines Notice the Technical Service Bulletin SSM71816 that is mentioned on many.
As your XF is a 14 plate your best bet is to take the dealership you bought the car from to the Small Claims Court under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
It will involve a lot of hard work and that's what JLR play on, researching as much information as you can to prove that this was a known fault, that your car was not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and was as described.
My wife and I did it and we got paid out just before the court case date, I wish you all the best and will try to help you as much as possible but the rest is up to you.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spot the difference?

Originally Posted by jiffy1111
Yes RifferXF275, we wrote two letters to Dr Speth CEO of Jaguar Land Rover and basically it was a waste of time, all he did was to pass us on to a Executive Case Manager.
That may sound impressive but from what l found out Jaguar's customer service is contracted to an outside company, that's how much they care about there customers as far as we are concerned JLR has become a money making machine who only cares about how much profit they make and the dividends there shareholders get.
Don't be mislead by being told that its a DPF problem JLR know very well that there is a problem with crankshafts breaking on the Lion engines manufactured at Ford's Dagenham Diesel Centre especially the Land Rover TDV6 version, just Google it to find out more here's one of many we found. LandyOnline Land Rover Blog: Land Rover Discovery TDV6 engine failures making headlines Notice the Technical Service Bulletin SSM71816 that is mentioned on many.
As your XF is a 14 plate your best bet is to take the dealership you bought the car from to the Small Claims Court under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
It will involve a lot of hard work and that's what JLR play on, researching as much information as you can to prove that this was a known fault, that your car was not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and was as described.
My wife and I did it and we got paid out just before the court case date, I wish you all the best and will try to help you as much as possible but the rest is up to you.
pot the diference

Jaguar xf shells..

Shells from a rival manufacturer..

Old 01-16-2023, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

After 4 years... could be helpful eventually...

Old 07-23-2024, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dustin2
pot the diference

Jaguar xf shells..

Shells from a rival manufacturer..

I know this thread is old now, but the issue is still cropping up every 5 minutes.

I'm unsure how jaguar have managed to avoid a mass lawsuit due to this common issue, but they've done very well to bury their head in the sand.

Now the reason I'm replying to an old thread, the rubbish spouted about the lack of tangs shows a severe lack of how engine are designed and built

The tang does not stop the bearing from rotating, it is their purely for location purposes during the building of the engine. With the crankshaft rotating at 3000rpm and picking up the bearing material with all that torque and rotating mass a little tang will not stop the shell from rotating.

Most manufacturers these days do not have tangs on their bearing shells.

Bearing shells are held in place by being slightly larger than the machines hole in the bearing caps, when the cals are torqued down the shell is gripped into place.

The bearing shells/crank pins on the 2.7 and 3.0 are a good diameter for the size of the engine, however they are very narrow. It's this narrowness that allows the bearings to rotate, as there is insufficient contact area to spread the load. With the natural vibrations and harmonics of the engine this allows the bearing to start rotating, it literally takes a split second to rotate and it's game over. Most failures tend to be around the centre of the crankshaft, suggesting this is the area with the worst of the harmonics, the issue can also be caused by over running service intervals, and using incorrect oil specifications, oil dilution.

Unfortunately to fix the issue would require a complete redesign of the engine which would mean a new engine being developed which my understanding wasn't in the budget for quite a number of years. Story goes that the straight 6 diesels don't fit in xe and xf models and Jag knew they were going to be up for replacement so didn't want the costs of trying to shoehorn straight 6 engine in them.