XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Xf exhaust sounding like ftype

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 05:21 PM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Xf exhaust sounding like ftype

Anyone kniw how to get the incredible sound of the ftype on the xf 3.0?

Old 06-16-2020, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
Anyone kniw how to get the incredible sound of the ftype on the xf 3.0?
Yep, replace the stock rear mufflers with an F-Type rear muffler and apply a tune which invokes the pops and crackles on the over-run.
Of course it would cost a fortune to fit an F-Type muffler as it is a large single East-West set-up and you would need some major modifications to the rear end of the XF, I'm talking many 10's of thousands of $.
Your other option which may be doable for slightly less (and would sound even better!) would be to fit F-Type SVR rear mufflers, as they are the traditional set-up of a pair of North-South mufflers.
Only half as much body/structural work but the cost of these mufflers and all the bits and pieces which come with them is eye watering, no change out of $25,000.
Without actual F-Type rear mufflers and the associated tune it is simply not possible to replicate the F-Type sound (unless you are talking about the 4-potter sound).
Bottom line - it can be done but only for a horrendous cost, you could probably buy an F-Type for the same money and keep the XF!

Old 06-17-2020, 08:56 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Completely useless

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, replace the stock rear mufflers with an F-Type rear muffler and apply a tune which invokes the pops and crackles on the over-run.
Of course it would cost a fortune to fit an F-Type muffler as it is a large single East-West set-up and you would need some major modifications to the rear end of the XF, I'm talking many 10's of thousands of $.
Your other option which may be doable for slightly less (and would sound even better!) would be to fit F-Type SVR rear mufflers, as they are the traditional set-up of a pair of North-South mufflers.
Only half as much body/structural work but the cost of these mufflers and all the bits and pieces which come with them is eye watering, no change out of $25,000.
Without actual F-Type rear mufflers and the associated tune it is simply not possible to replicate the F-Type sound (unless you are talking about the 4-potter sound).
Bottom line - it can be done but only for a horrendous cost, you could probably buy an F-Type for the same money and keep the XF!
do you just talk or do you think first...

The following users liked this post:
R Guy (06-28-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Sorry your wrong!!

Listen to OzXFR. He truly knows his stuff!

OzXFR (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
do you just talk or do you think first...
Hey, you asked how you make your 3.0 XF sound like an F-Type, with a heavy implication that since they're the same engine it should be fairly straightforward, and he answered. There's no reason to respond like that to someone who's taken the time to answer your question accurately just because you're butthurt at the answer you were given.

If you asked "How can I make my 3.0 XFsound more like an F-Type" then I'm sure some people have recommendations on aftermarket exhausts. There's a few different companies making them which should be easily found on google.

OzXFR (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:19 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Funny, I have just taken some time now to play with my exhaust. I added 300 cell CATs to get better flow. and had the exhaust shop that did that add new cat back. I actually would like my 3.0 to sound like my old XFR (well more like it) A rumble at idle quiet cruising and happy when you get on ti with a quiet cabin.. So I am playing a bit Worst cae I will go back to stock

He pulled the restrictive center muffler/resonator section (its only 2" , the rest of the system is 2.5, big difference in flow. and put in a dual in dual out/in 2.5 inch straight through center muffler (14" body) and put a couple of fart can straight though on the back, sounded like crap (like a v6 Accord with a ebay muffler It was exacly what I told him NOT to do). Went back and He pulled the twin in/out and put in two straight through 20 inch resonators side by side keeping the mufflers (sounded like LOUDER crap this time and again not what I wanted

I did a little research and went t another shop that was willing to give it a shot. Pulled the 20 inch resonators and added a 20" x-pipe muffler that is supposed to help the drone and we figured much quieter. Well it is quieter but I get a bad drone that I am not sure i got with the other set up since it was so loud, I couldn't tell.

WE measured up and will try a larger offset/center in the back or even go back to the stock set (stock are 2.5 but chambered so more restrictive. Performance mufflers are like 50 bucks from flowmaster and whoever so it not that expensive to play to get it right. Flowmaster even gives you a 90 day "sound guarantee" that allows you to get a refund (and $50 labor fee, if its not right.

Based on the amount of room under there, I may go to a standard x-pipe and add Vibrant ultra quiet resonators if the rear mufflers don;t do the trick

Fun times, it would be nice to be able just to slap an F-type exhaust up there I do wonder what the XFR system would do on the 3.0 with the valves pulled (unless I could figure out a way to run them

Old 06-17-2020, 01:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkO3...ature=youtu.be

Her's a sound clip Don;t mind the buzzing, it needs a new HP fuel pump.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Funny, I have just taken some time now to play with my exhaust. I added 300 cell CATs to get better flow. and had the exhaust shop that did that add new cat back. I actually would like my 3.0 to sound like my old XFR (well more like it) A rumble at idle quiet cruising and happy when you get on ti with a quiet cabin.. So I am playing a bit Worst cae I will go back to stock

He pulled the restrictive center muffler/resonator section (its only 2" , the rest of the system is 2.5, big difference in flow. and put in a dual in dual out/in 2.5 inch straight through center muffler (14" body) and put a couple of fart can straight though on the back, sounded like crap (like a v6 Accord with a ebay muffler It was exacly what I told him NOT to do). Went back and He pulled the twin in/out and put in two straight through 20 inch resonators side by side keeping the mufflers (sounded like LOUDER crap this time and again not what I wanted

I did a little research and went t another shop that was willing to give it a shot. Pulled the 20 inch resonators and added a 20" x-pipe muffler that is supposed to help the drone and we figured much quieter. Well it is quieter but I get a bad drone that I am not sure i got with the other set up since it was so loud, I couldn't tell.

WE measured up and will try a larger offset/center in the back or even go back to the stock set (stock are 2.5 but chambered so more restrictive. Performance mufflers are like 50 bucks from flowmaster and whoever so it not that expensive to play to get it right. Flowmaster even gives you a 90 day "sound guarantee" that allows you to get a refund (and $50 labor fee, if its not right.

Based on the amount of room under there, I may go to a standard x-pipe and add Vibrant ultra quiet resonators if the rear mufflers don;t do the trick

Fun times, it would be nice to be able just to slap an F-type exhaust up there I do wonder what the XFR system would do on the 3.0 with the valves pulled (unless I could figure out a way to run them
You don't need anything to "run" XFR mufflers, they are purely mechanical. The valves are opened by nothing but exhaust gas pressure.
They will fit and work on a V6 (with maybe some minor mods such as adaptor sleeves due to the different pipe diameters) but I can't guarantee they will give you the sound you are after, it's hard to make a V6 sound like a V8!

Old 06-18-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You don't need anything to "run" XFR mufflers, they are purely mechanical. The valves are opened by nothing but exhaust gas pressure.
They will fit and work on a V6 (with maybe some minor mods such as adaptor sleeves due to the different pipe diameters) but I can't guarantee they will give you the sound you are after, it's hard to make a V6 sound like a V8!
Ahh I see...

Yes I know V6 is not going to sound like a V8, didn't actually say that now did I? I said MORE like it,. I was able to get my 4CYL Saab to sound much better experimenting.

Looking at the XFR exhaust only difference seems to be the center section muffler and resonator. Pipes, muffler and resonator there are probably 2.5 on the center section the XFR Can anybody confirm?

I am more concerned about free flow (with the 300 cell cats and 2.5 inch pipes all the way back) and NO DRONE in the cabin, If the XFR mufflers flow better in general or because of the valves I will make that happen

On the 3.0 AWD all pipes are 2.5 EXCEPT the center which are 2.0. and it has 2 separate resonators as apposed to the 2 in 2 out on the XFR

Mufflers look the same except the valves

I may try the stock mufflers back on and figure out if I can modify the mufflers to make if sound like the valves are open all the time (there is a blank on the outer of the muffler that looks like where the valve is fitted) I will dig int that a bit