XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF Extended Warranty

Hey Fellow Jag Lovers,

My first post!! Proud new owner of a 2014 Jaguar XF. Will post pictures soon on the "Where are the XFs" thread

First of all, I am super excited about the XF. Bought it from Jaguar Bethesda couple of days ago. I have a question about Extended Warranty. I bought the 8 year/100,000 mile extended warranty from the dealer (thru Continental Warranty Inc) for $3,880. I was told that they offer 8 year warranty only during the initial purchase. I went in unprepared regarding the extended warranty as I was planning to buy it down the road. I signed up as 8 years sounded good. I should have negotiated the price, but it was a long day and I didn't try hard. I now feel that I was stupid in not negotiating that price. I have 30 days to cancel though.

Please recommend if its worth at all at that price. I am thinking about cancelling it. Are there any other good options for extended warranty for a new car? Is it even worth buying extended warranty this early? Are there any benefits buying it now? I heard that you could buy extended warranty from other Jaguar dealers too. I was even looking into Geico's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance which looks pretty good. Please share any of your experiences. Sorry, too many questions.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks much in advance. Have a great day.

- Jay

Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I got the 7 year 0 deductible for $2282.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have Geico for insurance? If so u could get mechanical breakdown insurance (their extended warranty) for about $40-$60 a year (up to 7yrs/100k miiles with a $250 deductible). I've heard only good things from them based on reviews I've read. And a whole lot cheaper than $3-4k upfront for an extended warranty.

On my 2011 XF s/c, I have my remaining factory warranty, a 6yr/100k exclusionary extended warranty I got from the jag dealership, and the geico mechanical breakdown insurance that I plan to keep for the 7 yrs/100k miles (they're only charging me $30 a year for the coverage). I would check to make sure your warranty spells out what is not covered and not just have wording like doesn't cover "wear & tear" items.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I was offered the same Continental Warranty for $3K from Jaguar Tysons Corner.

I would have recommended Costco's Exclusionary extended warranty but they stopped offering it on high end cars a few months back. I was able to get a 7/100 from them for about the same price you paid. But my 7/100 started the day I purchased it from Costco and not the in service date!

As far as GEICO's policy, it's actually more expensive. You pay a $250 deductible per repair, not per visit. So if your car is in the shop for 3 separate issues/repairs your out of pocket would be 3 x $250. This is what GEICO told me last year when I added the Jaguar to my policy.

More details on GEICO below:
https://www.geico.com/claims/claimsp...akdown-claims/

GEICO will pay the repair facility directly for covered claims. You will need to pay your $250 deductible directly to the repair facility. Note: if you have multiple unrelated problems, you will have to pay a separate deductible for each problem. For example, if your brakes and your air conditioner both need to be fixed, you would have a $250 deductible for each repair.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiddhan625
I was offered the same Continental Warranty for $3K from Jaguar Tysons Corner.

I would have recommended Costco's Exclusionary extended warranty but they stopped offering it on high end cars a few months back. I was able to get a 7/100 from them for about the same price you paid. But my 7/100 started the day I purchased it from Costco and not the in service date!

As far as GEICO's policy, it's actually more expensive. You pay a $250 deductible per repair, not per visit. So if your car is in the shop for 3 separate issues/repairs your out of pocket would be 3 x $250. This is what GEICO told me last year when I added the Jaguar to my policy.

More details on GEICO below:
https://www.geico.com/claims/claimsp...akdown-claims/

GEICO will pay the repair facility directly for covered claims. You will need to pay your $250 deductible directly to the repair facility. Note: if you have multiple unrelated problems, you will have to pay a separate deductible for each problem. For example, if your brakes and your air conditioner both need to be fixed, you would have a $250 deductible for each repair.
You're a 100% right on the $250 deductible per repair. That is one of the downsides of the Geico mechanical breakdown coverage. However, I don't quite agree with your sentiment that it's more expensive than an extended warranty. For example, in the OP's case, he's covered with factory warranty for 4yrs/50k miles, so really an extended warranty is for an additional 4yrs/50ks. Let say he has three dealership visits a year...that's a total of $3k...and that's not paying the total cost upfront. Still less than the $3800 the OP paid for his extended warranty.

Another thing to consider, I wouldn't wager bets about that extended warranty from the dealership covering everything under the sun. More times than not, they're going to make an excuse to tell you the issue is not covered under the extended warranty. With Geico's mechanical breakdown coverage, you're a lot less likely to be denied coverage. Even if you decided to get the extended warranty from the dealership, for only $40 a year, why not sign up for Geico's program? It runs concurrently with any dealership warranties you have, so if you're denied something from the dealership's warranty, you can check with Geico and they may actually cover the issue (with the $250 deductible of course).

I think it's a matter of personal choice for extended warranties...are you the person that's going to bring your car to the dealership for any minor issue you find wrong with your car? Or do you simply want to prevent the $4k repair of a blown transmission or something to that effect? If it's the latter, I would think the Geico policy is more than sufficient. If not, then get the extended warranty but just be aware it's not always going to cover every issue.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM

I think it's how you think of and use an extended warranty. In my case it's a CYA with a big benefit when I sell the car. I sold my 2002 M5 which was under an extended warranty and got about $2500 above the average asking price. Likewise with the LandRover I recently sold. So outside of covering yourself against expensive repairs it's also helps sell the car in case your one of those who will not keep the car forever.

If you buy an exclusionary policy the dealership will never have issues getting things covered. At least not in my case as I have always bought exclusionary policies. It also depends on which policy you buy. Continental warranty is a rock solid provider of extended coverage. Expensive yes!

I do agree having the Geico coverage as a back up is not a bad idea. But relying solely on GEICO may not be a smart move either. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by kiddhan625; 04-15-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Thank you guys. Very good information.
I am torn weather to go just with Geico or the extended warranty. I am leaning slightly towards Geico as $3880 is a lot of money to pay upfront for something that I will not even be using until 4 years from now. I am also worried about the "wear and tear" clause in the extended warranty as the 3rd party companies are notorious for these gimmicks. What happens if the extended warranty company goes bankrupt? I think Continental did file for bankruptcy few years ago.

Pros of going with extended warranty are: $0 deductible and the coverage is for 8 years instead of 7. Hopefully the Jaguar dealers will accept them without much fuss. Or does that matter?

I read that Geico encourages the customers to avoid dealers. The big question is, will the auto shop that we go to with Geico policy use OEM parts and experienced labor?

Also, I think the reliability of Jaguars has definitely gone up recently. Does that make it a safe bet to go with Geico mechanical break down coverage?

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought 4yrs from Rosenthal Jaguar on my 2010 XFR I bought on Saturday. I say YES.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Guys on a side note you should join us for the local Jaguar meet on May 4th.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...2014-a-115031/

Last edited by kiddhan625; 04-15-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jonesy
I bought 4yrs from Rosenthal Jaguar on my 2010 XFR I bought on Saturday. I say YES.
Jonesy, how much did you pay for the 4yrs extended warranty if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesy
I got the 4 year added from Rosenthal Jaguar of Chantilly in March. It seemed like a no brainer and dropped my Finance rate to 0.9. I purchased a 2011 XFR

Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I was thinking of buying the extended warranty for my 14 as wel. Century Jaguar didn't come even close to your quotes. It was 3500 just to extend it out 2 years and went up from there. And I was required to pay it in full at time of purchase. As I was about to buy one, I saw an article on them. So I haven't purchased one yet.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 07XKJaguar
I was thinking of buying the extended warranty for my 14 as wel. Century Jaguar didn't come even close to your quotes. It was 3500 just to extend it out 2 years and went up from there. And I was required to pay it in full at time of purchase. As I was about to buy one, I saw an article on them. So I haven't purchased one yet.
Most warranties I've seen only require you to still be under factory warranty. So you have a long time to decide whether you want one or not.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j3474
Jonesy, how much did you pay for the 4yrs extended warranty if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.
Like BryceS - it was $1,998 to extend for 2yrs and $1,999 for another 2 - gets me to 2018 or 1000,000miles whichever comes first.

I was paying cash until they told me i could do 0.9% seeing I was buying the extended warranties. No brainer!! Thanks JLRNA

Last edited by jonesy; 04-16-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. But he said I couldn't buy it after the car had 5k miles on it. Once I got home, the more crooked it sounded.