XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Gear selector

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by macc24
I like the paddles....the way the door handles feel - meh......
Sarcasm is, they say..... Point taken though. Paddle quality is not sufficient to make me give up my Jag, however. Time to focus on something really important like the quality of the stitching down on the left side of the seats. Have you noticed....whatever.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Hyperbole, not sarcasm. In order to qualify as sarcasm it has to bite personally on somebody. To make fun of something by mild ridicule is a kind of hyperbole or exaggeration for comic effect.

It is interesting how many people seem to think a high cost metal alloy switch to change gear is somehow required on a quality car. Given that the actual switching is done entirely electronically and indirectly via a computer I fail to see the need for a metal switch. In the heat of competition when one might exert unintended force on the switch or if the paddles are mounted on the steering column and are required to be long resulting in leverage forces to deal with maybe metal is justified. Otherwise these small plastic micro switches seem eminently suitable for the job.

The exterior door handles are a little clunky now you mention it.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It is simply all about tactility. You are right - the plastic paddles do the job adequately, but given the attention elsewhere in the car to design, feel and theatre (shift knob, pulsing start button, rotating air vents etc.) Jag could have done a better job with the paddles. They aren't worth complaining about, but they just don't fit in with the overall design and feel of the car.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
They aren't worth complaining about
Truer words were never spoken. I wouldn't be surprised though if Jaguar crafts more special paddles in the future. I've never actually seen mine, and apparently they're even illuminated, but they've worked and felt just fine the odd time I've used them.

Love the shift knob, if for no other reason than it's different and a bit theatrical, and it does open up the console. Since the use of manual transmissions is practically extinct, I figure the need for it's lever is also... especially on an auto with paddles that performs as well on the road and track as the ZF does.

Bruce

Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least it isn't the same shifter as the BMW F10. What a fantastically stupid shifter. When I test drove it, it was the most annoying shifter I've ever seen. I couldn't stop thinking WTF?.... Then I felt the awful turbo lag and did another WTF?.... Then I stopped by the Jag dealer and the rest is history. :-)