XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF pulsing

Good morning looking for some advice.

we purchased a 2009 3.0 XF with 55000 on clock over the weekend.

it has a problem at low revs approx 1000rpm at 30mph the car is surging. You can see the rev counter going up and down but you can also hear what I would call a hum in time with the surge. It's worse at 50mph when you want to gently move it along a little quicker - at this point is quite a violent sensation almost like going over rumble strips!

on idle and tick over it seems fine.

I appreciate anyone that can give advice or had same problem. It's a case of the garage sorting it but I am trying to decide if I should send it back or get them to fix it.

thanks in advance

Chris

Old 12-04-2017, 02:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Chris,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X250 forum for advice from members with the same model.

The kind of surge you describe is likely to be either fuel delivery or an ignition system fault. To determine the precise cause will require the use of dealer level diagnostics.

Graham

Old 12-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

its not an engine problem. described syptoms is torque converter/gearbox problem.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cpwarren1
Good morning looking for some advice.

we purchased a 2009 3.0 XF with 55000 on clock over the weekend.

it has a problem at low revs approx 1000rpm at 30mph the car is surging. You can see the rev counter going up and down but you can also hear what I would call a hum in time with the surge. It's worse at 50mph when you want to gently move it along a little quicker - at this point is quite a violent sensation almost like going over rumble strips!

on idle and tick over it seems fine.

I appreciate anyone that can give advice or had same problem. It's a case of the garage sorting it but I am trying to decide if I should send it back or get them to fix it.

thanks in advance

Chris
I also recently purchased the same make and model car described above and also have the same inconvenience. my mechanic friend couldnt tell what it was after running a computer check on it and initially diagnosed it as a fuel delivery/injection partial blockage and recommended a full tune up.

to be honest, although his per-diagnosis sounds logical, he asked for a hefty price to do the tune-up/fuel injectors cleaning, so im not sure... if its a torque issue, then that will be a whole different can of worms by itself...

i'll ask around and let you know, or i might just go ahead with the recommendation and post the feedback here for you guys.

M.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by malhuraibi
I also recently purchased the same make and model car described above and also have the same inconvenience. my mechanic friend couldnt tell what it was after running a computer check on it and initially diagnosed it as a fuel delivery/injection partial blockage and recommended a full tune up.

to be honest, although his per-diagnosis sounds logical, he asked for a hefty price to do the tune-up/fuel injectors cleaning, so im not sure... if its a torque issue, then that will be a whole different can of worms by itself...

i'll ask around and let you know, or i might just go ahead with the recommendation and post the feedback here for you guys.

M.
I had the exact same thoughts so I put the car into Jaguar. They run full diagnostics only for the computer to come up with no faults.

After road testing it they have told me it's the torque converter so this morning it will be having a new gearbox. Thankfully it is on warranty.

After a conversation with the service department it is something they have seen before.

I will get the car back Tues afternoon and Wednesday drive home to Toulouse- I will update this thread and let you know how it goes!

cheers all

Old 12-13-2017, 04:17 AM
Default UPDATE!

I got car back yesterday with new torque converter and now heading south on A26 down to Toulouse with the car performing as new!

Happy days!

Old 12-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

gklad to hear my quess was right. have a good drive!

The following users liked this post:
harryf (12-20-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:53 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

How bad would you say the surging was and how bad of a vibration? I have a similar surging issue under partial throttle around 1000-2500 rpm. I also get a pulsing feeling sometimes when it shifts (feels like 2-4 sine waves). At the first dealer I took it to, a technician rode with me and said he had never seen this before. But when I picked it up their diagnosis was all XFs do this and there is nothing wrong. I later took my car in to another dealer for yearly service. They ran diagnostics on the transmission and reset the transmission computer and said they could see no faults and said there is no problem. That dealer also rode with me so I could demonstrate a loud clunking when going over speed tables, some speed bumps and occasionally driveways. They witnessed the problem but their diagnosis was that all XFs exhibit this and they would see if Jaguar had a recommendation (which I never heard back). Atleast they didn't use this excuse on my separating dash! Although I added a tint layer to the windshield to help prevent it from happening again and they scratched it all up and never did anything about it.

So I'm sorry if I am stealing your thread (and also venting) but if you could better describe the severity of your issue perhaps I could use it to help diagnose my car. And if anyone has a recommendation for a good diagnostic dealer in MD or a nearby state that would be great because my warranty expires in April.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 AM
Default UPDATE!

The pulsing you could see on rev at just about the 1000 rev and you could feel it very slightly. I have had jags before so knew there was something. At 50 mph and if you tried to gently accelerate you could feel vibration and sounded deep hum and almost like going over rumble strip.

Jag diagnostic said no faults. Jag technician road tested and said not changing gear properly. So he diagnosed torque convertor - replaced it at weekend and now drives as a jag should.

service department told me they had seen it a few times now even at low mileages

hope this helps

chris