XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF quality of Interior plastic

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XF quality of Interior plastic

Hi All,

After some time now with the XF, what do people think about the interior quality of the plastics? Somehow I think they can improve on this.
Somehow everything feels so light? I suppose after a few years I will know.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I can verify that plastic parts used in XFs have a better quality than XJ40,X300,X308s . I can't comment on the later models though . Most prolly it beats Series i-iii too . These models are flagships to Jaguar .
What I like the most is leather covered dashboard panel , even E Class don't have this and the stalk quality is also fine .

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My impression is that the plastics are a little flimsy. The buttons "creak" when you press them (the home button for example under the nav screen, the temperature selection buttons etc.) since the underlying plastic deforms slightly. Also you can press on most plastic parts and they deform with a creaking sound. Although they look OK, the feel is slightly cheap.

I must also disagree with RegentV12 here, the stalks feel like they are from a Ford (no disrespect intended) but they do not fell like a quality part. I am used to BMWs which feel considerably more substantial (buttons feel rock solid, controls have a satisfying click etc.), both in plastic parts and stalks, even thought they do not, often, look as substantial.

My car has 30K miles (an early build 2010) and all is holding up well, but there is an air of "cheapness" to the interior. I was concerned that the under dashboard covers under the glove box seem to be no more than paper thin and not well secured (it fell down at one point). I notice things like the lids for the single and double cup holders do not line up well (I use neither for cups by the way) and the illumination around the selector does not evenly light up at night. All giving me this cheap finish feeling.

Sorry to be a little down on the car, but I do love it. However the quality is not up to other Jags I have seen e.g. XJ, XK. It is definitely a cheaper car in both feel and quality.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
My impression is that the plastics are a little flimsy. The buttons "creak" when you press them (the home button for example under the nav screen, the temperature selection buttons etc.) since the underlying plastic deforms slightly. Also you can press on most plastic parts and they deform with a creaking sound. Although they look OK, the feel is slightly cheap.

I must also disagree with RegentV12 here, the stalks feel like they are from a Ford (no disrespect intended) but they do not fell like a quality part. I am used to BMWs which feel considerably more substantial (buttons feel rock solid, controls have a satisfying click etc.), both in plastic parts and stalks, even thought they do not, often, look as substantial.

My car has 30K miles (an early build 2010) and all is holding up well, but there is an air of "cheapness" to the interior. I was concerned that the under dashboard covers under the glove box seem to be no more than paper thin and not well secured (it fell down at one point). I notice things like the lids for the single and double cup holders do not line up well (I use neither for cups by the way) and the illumination around the selector does not evenly light up at night. All giving me this cheap finish feeling.

Sorry to be a little down on the car, but I do love it. However the quality is not up to other Jags I have seen e.g. XJ, XK. It is definitely a cheaper car in both feel and quality.
I love the car but have to agree about the Home button, the switch gear and stalks. These are pieces you interact with daily and they just don't have the right quality feel. At least the shifter knob has a good feel to it and the paddle shifters aren't bad. There sometimes is a faint buzzing sound on certain highway segments that I can't track down. It sounds like it's coming from inside the console, so is impossible to fix yourself (unless you want to take the entire console apart). I'm betting it has to do with the shift knob assembly, but don't really know.

To me, it's a case of penny-wise, pound foolish. I don't really know auto industry pricing but somehow doubt making these few items a bit higher in quality would add more than $100 to production costs. The car already has a price edge on the competition, so a few hundred more wouldn't kill sales and in fact would likely win more converts.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Default Flimsy

I had the same feeling on the XF compared to BMW. It may be they are trying to make it as light as possible. It just feels very hollow. To be honest the people that buy the Jaguar XF are usually defectors of BMW or Mercs so they will know the difference. I think BMW adds an extra layer to make the feel a bit more solid.
Don't get me wrong I own an XF so do like the exterior. I was trying to give some feedback to make it even a better car. I would happily pay a little extra for better quality. I wanted to try out Jaguar as a brand because I am tired of the BMW/Merc look and wanted something different.

If Jaguar is reading this hope they can improve in this area in the future.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

The XF is substantially cheaper than the competition. Where it counts, the driving experience, the XF is rock solid. Unlike BMW, Audi and Mercedes you actually get what you pay for with the XF. The German competition is overpriced for what you actually get.

One of the painful truths about the auto industry is customers do not want to pay for the perception of quality. The Japanese figured this out and undercut the Germans by substantial amounts. Acura, Lexus and Infiniti brand names use cheap construction combined with excellent reliability to take sales away from the big three Germans. It worked but the German cars are still way overpriced for what you actually get. My Audi is very well built but I'd never actually pay for a new one.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

the 2012 XF has new dash switch design, much better tactile and solid feel in my view.
Jaguar is listening......

Old 11-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
the 2012 XF has new dash switch design, much better tactile and solid feel in my view.
Jaguar is listening......
Thanks for that reminder. Yes, I agree, the '12's buttons feel better. I was commenting above on my '11.

As for Jagular's comment, I don't quite agree re the comments about the Lexus and other luxury Japanese brands. They did build in the perception of quality in the Lexus at least, with the feeling of solid doors and switches, and quiet/smooth idling motor. They just didn't charge a huge premium like BMW and Mercedes, in part because they didn't at least at first, have the cachet to do that. Also, the Lexus suspensions were more oriented to soft, but not well controlled ride. I don't know that the Lexus suspension development cost less or not but it seems likely it cost the Germans more in R&D to develop better handling cars that ride reasonably well.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My plastic parts are outstanding..absolutely no issues..inhave the supercharged version..don't know ifnthat has anything to do with my conclusion.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 PM

Damn should have got the 2012 version. I did not want to wait for 3 months for ordering. But I agree with Jagular's point about driving experience. I am beginning to warm to the feel of the Jag XF especially in sports mode. Even though I've driving BMW for 10 years, I have now forgotten about it and looking forward. I'm into design and I think there are a lot of the people who has gone Jaguar buy into Ian Callum and his creative team.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's no doubt Jag didn't put their best foot forward re: switchgear, stalks, buttons, etc.

car drives well and great engine/tranny. and superb styling. it would have been so easy for them to give the interior details a bit more attention. As great as a paddle shifters work I just really dislike the tactile feel of them especially if i rub them there is a hollow sound they give out like very cheap plastic would sound.

How much more could it cost to have an actual metal knob and trim for the shifter rather then the chromed plastic?

I also came from BMW/MB and the difference is quite obvious.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear the 2012s have improvements for interior finish

Old 11-17-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by chekraze
there's no doubt Jag didn't put their best foot forward re: switchgear, stalks, buttons, etc.

car drives well and great engine/tranny. and superb styling. it would have been so easy for them to give the interior details a bit more attention. As great as a paddle shifters work I just really dislike the tactile feel of them especially if i rub them there is a hollow sound they give out like very cheap plastic would sound.

How much more could it cost to have an actual metal knob and trim for the shifter rather then the chromed plastic?

It's never too late for them to come out with the metal knob and just replace it. I'm sure it's quite easy to do and most people here would buy them. The switch for all the electric windows on the drive side annoys me...

Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze

Could not agree more. Superb car spoiled by small details. Good value, yes, but still not cheap. Have not seen the 2012s so cannot comment here, but good to know that there is a perceptible increase in interior quality.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Default Audi A5 catching up

I had a good look at the Audi A5 today and definitely the interior feels more solid to the Jaguar XF. The sales people also told me the price and is taking about 20% off the list price of the A5. The Sunroof comes as standard now.
Feels like there is fierce competition now between BMW, Audi and Jaguar.
Still like the Jag more right now. I suspect Jaguar can play on the class/Branding game but please improve the interior quality.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

A5 is very cramped and has no sunroof. Audi has serious quality control issues still. The A7 or A6 more directly compare to the XF. I wouldn't have either in preference to my Jag. I own a chipped 2001 S4 which is a hoot to drive but the XF is a better car.

Try the new S4,S5 or S6 in preference to the A5. The price will be comparable to the XF and the supercharged V6 is a fantastic power plant. Get the double clutch automatic version, it rocks. For an Audi that is.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 AM

I was told Audi revamps their models too quickly that once you buy the latest they could be out with another revamp with a few years.?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Audi may look like they do this but in fact their product turnover is very slow. For example, the new A4 came out in 97, had a rear end modification in 2002 and the front in 2004. That transition from B5 to B7 lasted for 13 years without major modification of anything.