XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Reliability and Maintenance costs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default XF Reliability and Maintenance costs

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. I searched quite extensively but i couldn't find the answers to my questions. After much deliberation between the Maserati Quattroporte and the Jaguar XF i have decided to purchase an XF. I am between a MY 2009 and MY 2010.

My questions are:
1) How reliable are these cars? Aside from regular oil changes/brake changes/tire replacement what is the yearly maintenance cost for ad hoc repairs. I own a BMW currently and she costs me around $3000 a year in maintenance including oil changes etc. Should i be expecting similar or is the XF more/less reliable?
2) Should i consider purchasing a warranty - warranty costs about $5000 for 3 years.
3) MY 2009 comes without warranty and MY 2010 comes with some warranty (a few months) - the difference in price is about $5000. does the 2010 with the warranty justify the higher price tag?
4) Which is a better drive: 09 XF supercharged or 2010 XF Premium (5.0L) - I'm 25 years old and love a sportier car.
5) Is the supercharged version costlier to maintain/less reliable as compared to the base/premium models?
6) When do cars in general depreciate the most. I.e its december - should i wait a couple of months for the cars to depreciate (because of the new year) or is the deprecation even throughout? I know this is tough question - any input is appreciated.

I can't decide between 09 premium, 09 supercharged and 2010 premium. 09 supercharged is without warranty but the same price as 2010 premium with 6 months outstanding factory warranty; and the 09 premium is $5000 cheaper than the other two.

Thanks for your help guys =) Hoping to become a Jag owner real soon and contributing to this forum.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

The XF is a somewhat modified S-Type. I haven't spent $3000 in total over the last 5 years (might have if you include wear items like tyres & brakes) never mind per year. I expect the XF is at least as reliable. I wouldn't buy a warranty but instead keep money aside just in case. Chances are you win.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

1) How reliable are these cars? Aside from regular oil changes/brake changes/tire replacement what is the yearly maintenance cost for ad hoc repairs. I own a BMW currently and she costs me around $3000 a year in maintenance including oil changes etc. Should i be expecting similar or is the XF more/less reliable?

-it doesn't seem like an issue, there's the odd lemon out there but most people's perceptions of Jag's quality is 20 years old

2) Should i consider purchasing a warranty - warranty costs about $5000 for 3 years.

-I've seen numbers like $2500 for 3 years in Canada, shop around.

4) Which is a better drive: 09 XF supercharged or 2010 XF Premium (5.0L) - I'm 25 years old and love a sportier car.

-personally I found the new V8 better than the old supercharged by quite a degree, it's a great engine in NA form

5) Is the supercharged version costlier to maintain/less reliable as compared to the base/premium models?

-I'm sure that on average a supercharged car costs more to maintain...but...you do get something for it if you go for a '10 or later supercharged!

6) When do cars in general depreciate the most. I.e its december - should i wait a couple of months for the cars to depreciate (because of the new year) or is the deprecation even throughout? I know this is tough question - any input is appreciated.

-I haven't looked at where you live, but deals can be found in the winter, chat with the dealer on when their leases are coming in as well.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Wanna jag has posted some good responses. I'll comment on 5 and 6.

After 18 months I have had no issues with regard to supercharged engine, other than you become addicted to the power.

Good deals should be available now as holidays are typically slow time for car dealers. I would expect prices to increase a bit after holidays. Used car market is more difficult to predict as individual car dealer situations for profit, how much they have in a car vary more than for new cars. End of month and end of years sales numbers should yield some good prices.

The following users liked this post:
arsalanhashmani (12-20-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Agree - you should definitely look to buy now. I see you are in Toronto - rear wheel drive performance saloons don't sell well in snow season - so dealers will have inventory that they need to shift and limited prospect of selling for a while. Should be able to negotiate a deal.

I agree with wannajag and jaguny - go for a 2010 supercharged model - it's a terrific drive.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually just bought mine last month, and I find the information on here quite useful. I had just bought a 2010 Premium, and thought about going for a 09 supercharged, but I'm glad I got the 10. The 10 was $6000 cheaper since the dealership that had it had slashed the prices of its entire used car inventory. It was actually a Lexus dealership. I'm glad to find out about the reliability of these cars and I was looking up prices on various parts and found that they aren't much more expensive than normal cars. Of course labor is another issue. I'm also glad to know that I'm not going to be spending an arm and a leg on maintenance. But between the 09 SC and 10 NA, you're looking at a difference of 25hp, and quite a difference in gas mileage. The 4.2l engines weren't the greatest engines, which is why they scrapped them. But with a $5000 difference, I'd probably go with the SC also.

I had bought the same warranty on my car that the OP was talking about getting, and I was thinking of switching to a different company. but since i financed my car, I'm planning on either keeping my warranty i already have in place, or just dropping both. I'm probably going to keep one though, since I do like to take trips, and if anything happens, the unlimited towing and free rental is nice.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the 2010 XF and then the 2012 XFR. No major problems with either car. XF was trouble free. XFR had some squeaks which took time to chase down and a battery drain issue early on which was corrected on the first try. Otherwise just routine oil changes, brake pads (XFR pads lasted 15k miles). Dunlops (Sport Maxx J) seem to be holding up very nicely on the XFR. In fact, I was just thinking the other day about how reliable the car is. Good luck. Andrew

Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Just a correction. The 4.2L was a great engine and had no problems. The 5.0 is just a better design in every way. So I would lean towards getting the 5.0L if possible.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Good point. It was the 4.0 that had some problems but if maintained (change the tensioners!) is pretty good.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks guys for the amazing responses. This forum is truly awesome. After doing some extensive research and after reading all your responses I have opted to go with a warranty. In my search i came across a 2010 XFR (5.0L supercharged) and im making a offer on it today - fingers crossed. Ill buy an extended warranty to 160,000 kms.

I agree with most of your comments - this is a great time to buy and im hoping to take advantage of the fact that some dealers will have to make some sales to meet their end of year/month targets.

Anything specific to look out for? I havent driven the car yet myself but its a certified pre owned from a jag dealer and the car has only 40k kms. Plus ill have warranty so im not that worried. Keeping this in mind would you guys recommend making an offer before driving it?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by neogod
. Of course labor is another issue. I'm also glad to know that I'm not going to be spending an arm and a leg on maintenance. But between the 09 SC and 10 NA, you're looking at a difference of 25hp, and quite a difference in gas mileage. The 4.2l engines weren't the greatest engines, which is why they scrapped them. But with a $5000 difference, I'd probably go with the SC also.
Actually they didn't scrap anything. The 5 liter is derivative of the 4.2. They just stroked it and added the latest technology to it. 4.2 was a great engine.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:20 PM

Quick question: did the 2010 or the 2011 model year come with the 5 year factory warranty and 5 year maintenance. Did they both? Or did one come with 4 year warranty and the other 5 year. sorry a bit confused

Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

You'll love the XFR. Be careful about trim items if you don't have the initial factory warranty, especially the dash. Mine was replaced but I've heard that it wouldn't have been if it were the extended or certified warranty.

Be aware on the test drive when you make slow 90 degree turns whether you hear and feel something that sounds like going over a rumble strip very briefly. If it does it's the differential.

Also listen for any suspension and interior noises going over bumps.

I've had all these issues, but since it's a second car and everything's been covered by the warranty, it hasn't been as much of an issue. Also bought the Jaguar extended warranty but happy to have had original warranty to take care of these issues without question. And glad to have it continue until the end of Feb.

What month/year was the car first sold? The 2010 has a 4 year and the 2011 has the 5 year with maintenance included. Don't remember how many miles though.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 12-19-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know where you get your numbers and how you do your comparisons.

• A Quattroporte is a $100K vehicle, the XF Supercharged 5.0 is 70K
  • A BMW should not cost you $3000 in maintenance a year.
  • Jaguar Select Certified Pre-owned warranty can be bought for as little as $1,800 and never more than $3,000 over an otherwise identical <50K miles 2010 or 2011 XF.
  • Anything newer than that will have 2 years or more of new vehicle warranty on it.
  • In general, unless you blow up the transmission or engine, extended warranties do not pay off. You are better off saving the money up front and paying as you go if you need to fix something. That's why they sell it!

The following 3 users liked this post by dwightlooi:
Cherry_560sel (02-14-2014), JagV8 (12-20-2013), zangonli (11-28-2014)
Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR

Be aware on the test drive when you make slow 90 degree turns whether you hear and feel something that sounds like going over a rumble strip very briefly. If it does it's the differential.

Also listen for any suspension and interior noises going over bumps.
Hey Kyanite so i finally test drove the car yesterday and i loved it apart from a few things i noticed:
1) both front tires were low on pressure
2) brake pads needed replacement
- Ofcourse theyll fix all this before i get delivery but i though id point it out in case this a symptom or a sign of something
3) Here's the big one - I made a 90 degree turn driving slowly i felt that bump you were talking about. At that point i thought it was because of the low tire pressure. Anyways, what is this "differential issue." Is it recurring once fixed? Will the certified select warranty cover it? I pointed it out to the sales guy who said he'd have that checked.

So here's my dilemma everyone. I'm looking at three cars right now and need to pick one:
1) 2011 XF 5.0L premium luxury 19,000 Kms. After tax cost = $40,000. Factory warranty and maintenance for another 2 years. In service date Jan 2011.
2) 2010 XFR 40,000 Kms. After tax cost (including $2500 certified select warranty) = 48,000. In service date November 2009. No factory warranty. Certified select warranty for another 1 year and 10 months.
3) 2011 XFR 62,000 Kms. After tax cost (including select warranty) $53,000. Not sure of the in service date. but im sure factory warranty and maintenance for about 2 years left.

2011 models have the most warranty on them.
Is 8,000 difference worth it to have no warranty after 1 year 8 months for an XFR.

The sales rep told they don't sell warranties 1) if i buy a car from a non jag dealership and 2) Warranty can only be issued for 6 year since the in service date. after 6 years you cant buy additional warranty.

I will call other Jag dealerships today to confirm this.

Which one should i go for? really confused guys and would love your help

Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by dwightlooi

• A Quattroporte is a $100K vehicle, the XF Supercharged 5.0 is 70K
  • A BMW should not cost you $3000 in maintenance a year.
  • Jaguar Select Certified Pre-owned warranty can be bought for as little as $1,800 and never more than $3,000 over an otherwise identical <50K miles 2010 or 2011 XF.
  • Anything newer than that will have 2 years or more of new vehicle warranty on it.
  • In general, unless you blow up the transmission or engine, extended warranties do not pay off. You are better off saving the money up front and paying as you go if you need to fix something. That's why they sell it!
Here are my numbers:
1) A 2007/2008 Quattroporte Sport GT with maintenance history and 30-50k kms costs between 40-50K here in canada. Similar price to a 2010/2011 XFR
2) My BMW 550i cost me 3000$ to maintain yearly. an M5/m6 costs between 3000 and $5000 to maintain if you don't have warranty. This is coming from a couple of my friends experiences and from talks with BWM dealerships.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by dwightlooi

• Jaguar Select Certified Pre-owned warranty can be bought for as little as $1,800 and never more than $3,000
Your must be getting your numbers from the same place. $1800 for warranty? Where is it from Jiffy Lube or Pep boys?

If you want up to 100,000 mile warranty, it's about $3800.

And, it's the little things that cost money. Like an overhead console, which is a known issue, $1000 to replace.

Two minor visits to the dealer and you can be easily in $3000-4000 territory.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by arsalanhashmani
Here are my numbers:
1) A 2007/2008 Quattroporte Sport GT with maintenance history and 30-50k kms costs between 40-50K here in canada. Similar price to a 2010/2011 XFR
2) My BMW 550i cost me 3000$ to maintain yearly. an M5/m6 costs between 3000 and $5000 to maintain if you don't have warranty. This is coming from a couple of my friends experiences and from talks with BWM dealerships.
I honestly don't know why you would consider a 6 yr old money pit Quattroporte, but to each their own. If you go the Jaguar route, I would strongly encourage you to spring for the extra investment and go with the revised body style (2012+). At least then when Jaguar comes out with the new XF in 2016 (estimate), you won't be as far behind (and IMHO, the look is much nicer and more elegant). As far as the Jaguar CPO cost, suffice it to say that they can be had 6/100 for MUCH less than $3000 - at least in the US.

Last edited by rbobzilla; 12-20-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Quattroporte is a beautiful beast and quite reliable, so no not a money pit. The ZF automatic transmission is rock solid. Yeah the F1 trasnmission is a money pit.

Anyways back to the convo: i can't afford a 2012 XFR - way too expensive.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Is the certified select warranty by jaguar better than third party warranty? Here in Canada most dealers (BMW, Mercedes, JAG) sell Coverage one warranty. Would their bumper to bumper be similar to certified select? Reason i ask is that with certified select im paying 2500 and only getting 1 year 10 months of coverage. Id rather get Coverage one 3 year warranty instead (haven't negotiated that yet - another Jaguar dealer in Thornhill quoted me 4700 with 100 deductible for a 3 year warranty).

So 2 questions are pending now: which of the 3 cars listed above should i go for? and which warranty is better?

Thanks a bunch guys - you all have helped me instrumentally!!

Quick Reply: XF Reliability and Maintenance costs