XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF SC vs Range Rover Evoque Dynamic

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XF SC vs Range Rover Evoque Dynamic

I have owned my XF SC for about one year. It is a 2009 with 46 K. I am thinking about trading it in for a brand new Evoque Dynamic. The Evogue Dynamic is the sport version with lots of extras. It is a metallic black with black and red interior.

What are your thoughts? Should I do it or keep the XF SC?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Do i think you should? No!

I think that's a decision you have to make, since they are two completely different vehicles.

Evoques are nice vehicles, but not half as nice as the XFs.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I just bought an XF SC after driving mid-size SUV's for over 20 years. Don't see myself going back. What's driving you thought to get an Evoque?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 AM

Come on guys..I am really on the fence..need your input.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Watchgeek,

That is a decision that only you can make. Are you getting the vehicle for you, or for what others think and say? How can people that don't know anything about you, tell you what car to buy?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchgeek
It's a SUV. If you want a SUV get a SUV. It's newer and will have more bells and whistles which would be nice. If you just want the new equipment/look then get a newer XF. I want a car so I'd never consider it. I think it looks too much like the new Edge/Explorer which aren't bad looking but generally you'd want it to be unique when it's a bit more expensive.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchgeek
Well I'm like Jaguny right above you, what's driving you to get the Evoque? Is it just the looks and looks alone? Is it performance(doubt that but still)? Do you just want something different? You really haven't given us anything to go on.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 PM

The XF SC has the power that very few cars have. The looks are elegant and the ride is superb. I have owned it for 11 months and it has been in the shop six times at least for small items..except the latest, which needs a new rack and pinion. Previous owner must have been rough on car. All these visits are covered under warranty which runs out next month BUT I have the select warranty which will continue until July 2014.

If I trade the car in for a Evogue, the dealer will give me $34,000 which I thought is very fair.

Now the Evogue is stunning for an SUV...black metallic paint for the exterior and black and red leather seats for the interior. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the XF...lack of navigation, lane departure, cooling seats are the main items missing. I have never owned an SUV so that is why I am leaning towards it.

So I still have not made my mind up..dealer and I are 3 to 6k apart on the price of the vehicle so if we can't close the gap, I may have to pass on it.

More later.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

So, it's the reliability you worried about with your XF.

To be honest, you might trade and have the Evoque in the shop twice as much. Every car will have it's own set of issues. Remember they just came out too.

Trade your XF for a 2010 model with CPO warranty that will give you coverage till 2016.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
So, it's the reliability you worried about with your XF.

To be honest, you might trade and have the Evoque in the shop twice as much. Every car will have it's own set of issues. Remember they just came out too.

Trade your XF for a 2010 model with CPO warranty that will give you coverage till 2016.
That's really good advice. I would extend it and even say consider 2011 CPO models as well. The '11s have the 5 year/50k complimentary maintenance in addition to the 6 year/100k warranty. Can get a good deal on one for $42 or so.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like the underlying reason may be the desire to try an SUV. If you haven't own, it could be the lure of something different. I went to a car for the opposite reason, having owned 4 consecutive SUV's. Also could be the lure of the black/red combo which can get you hooked if your not careful. I came across the same combo in a 2012 XFR. That can really hook you as well. Is it the SUV, the reliability or the color combo? They will absolutely not drive the same.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 PM

Well today I pulled the trigger on the Range Rover Evogue and traded the Jaguar XF SC. I pick up the Evogue on Friday..can't wait.

I appreciated all of your comments not only on this thread but the many others I posted. Many people on this site were extremely helpful in informing me on the types of problems I encountered with the Jag. I am going to miss this forum but now I am moving to the Range Rover forums.

Thanks again and have fun with your Jaguars.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

See you in my rear view mirror

Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

No parting photos of the Range Rover?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 AM

Can't say that I'm suprised. Not one person said go with the Evoque, but the trend remains the same. When people come on the forum asking should they go with this car (insert name) or the forum car, they always pick the other car. Their mind is usually made up already.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 310 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Fake SUV or Jag = dork

Not your typical Jag vs. Audi, BMW, Benz, CTS comparison.

SUV's are for hauling or off-roading=Utility. The XF SC is a four door sports car. I have an Toyota Sequoia and its big with skid plates, three rows of seats for eight passengers+ storage and diffidently not sleek. I use it to haul my boat and crash through winter snow storms. Once I did haul eight people to a fish fry. It looked like one of these "Clown Cars" at the circus..people just kept climbing out. lol

The Evoque is a stylized mini-van with big wheels to tackle the drive to the grocery store or pick the kids up from soccer. Looking good for the soccer moms.

This is like comparing a John Deere Lawn Tractor to a Kawasaki ZX-14. The best thing is that Friday the salesman will be toasting "We actually sold one of these" and this Jaguar XF SC will go to someone that will appreciate it.

Got to go drive the Johnny and cut the grass.

Last edited by edobernig; 06-15-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Still couldn't believe the comparison.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by edobernig
The best thing is that Firiday the salesman will be toasting "We actually sold one of these" and this Jaguar XF SC will go to someone that will appreciate it.
Haha, very funny, edobernig! When I picked up my XF yesterday, there was a young kid there buying his first car - he went with an Evoque (Daddy was with him to write the check) and I was thinking to myself, "Wrong move, dude...you could have a Jag for less that has twice the features and gets twice the women!"

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
Haha, very funny, edobernig! When I picked up my XF yesterday, there was a young kid there buying his first car - he went with an Evoque (Daddy was with him to write the check) and I was thinking to myself, "Wrong move, dude...you could have a Jag for less that has twice the features and gets twice the women!"
Actually, I could see a young "kid" going for the Evoque. That would still be a hot vehicle in young prep circles.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Guys,

Go on Motor Trend, Road and Track and automobile websites. The Evogue is rated very high not only in looks but in performance. In addition, zero to 60 in 6.7 seconds (not bad for a four cylinder) with 240 hp and 251 lbs of torque. In addition, highway mileage is said to be 28mph. Oh and by the way, the off road capabilities are range rover like (one of the best in the business.)

I did appreciate the Jaguar but I like the style of the Evoque more.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Congrats on the new car. Post pictures!

Quick Reply: XF SC vs Range Rover Evoque Dynamic