XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Tail Lamp and Stop Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default XF Tail Lamp and Stop Light Not Working

Hello, my 2013 XF driver's side tail lamp, brake light, and turn signal recently started working only intermittently. Most of the time they are not working, and randomly they will work for a short time period. I don't believe it's the led lights themselves seeing that they do work occasionally. I don't believe it's a fuse, because usually when those blow they won't work at all. Is there some type of relay that controls these lights? Any advice on how to fix this problem outside of going to the dealership would be very helpful.

I've also added a pic of the car...love it! Hoping to get this issue resolved ASAP.

Thanks! (This is my first post, ever)
SB

Attached Thumbnails XF Tail Lamp and Stop Light Not Working-image.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,396 Likes on 1,889 Posts

With a 2013 can't you take it to the dealer under warranty?

Old 08-13-2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The car is rebuilt without and without warranty. It'll be a good topic for another post. I actually found it salvaged, with only 22 miles on it, and no doors, hood, trunk lid, or bumpers on it. I plan on taking it to the land rover shop that rebuilt it for me, but they are several states away and I would like to fix this problem ASAP.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The car is rebuilt and without warranty. It'll be a good topic for another post. I actually found it salvaged, with only 22 miles on it, and no doors, hood, trunk lid, or bumpers on it. I plan on taking it to the land rover shop that rebuilt it for me, but they are several states away and I would like to fix this problem ASAP.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 2,375 Posts

The power plug on the light assembly could be loose.
It's very easy to remove the light assembly from the body and check this.
Just remove the two "Christmas tree" clips holding the back area of the boot side trim in place, pull back the trim, and you will see 3 x 10mm bolts holding the light assembly in place. Two near the back of the car, one towards the front.
Use either a spanner or a 'pass through' socket to undo them (an ordinary socket won't get over the longish thread extensions).
The light assembly then pulls clear of the body, and you can't miss the single power plug.

If that's not the problem the other usual suspect is the boot wiring loom/cable, the thick black cable on the top RHS of the boot opening. On higher-mileage XFs one or more of the wires inside can fray due to the constant flexing and pinching from opening and closing the boot. But it seems yours is far to young for this to have happened.
But if it has, a competent auto electrician can repair the wiring, or else you can replace the whole loom.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! I'd love to hear the rebuild story - how was an XF with just 22 miles wrecked?

Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFS
Just remove the two "Christmas tree" clips holding the back area of the boot side trim in place, pull back the trim, and you will see 3 x 10mm bolts holding the light assembly in place. Two near the back of the car, one towards the front.
Use either a spanner or a 'pass through' socket to undo them (an ordinary socket won't get over the longish thread extensions).
The light assembly then pulls clear of the body, and you can't miss the single power plug.

If that's not the problem the other usual suspect is the boot wiring loom/cable, the thick black cable on the top RHS of the boot opening. On higher-mileage XFs one or more of the wires inside can fray due to the constant flexing and pinching from opening and closing the boot. But it seems yours is far to young for this to have happened.
But if it has, a competent auto electrician can repair the wiring, or else you can replace the whole loom.
This is awesome advice! I have been traveling and unable to check the plug, but it sounds logical enough. I will be sure to provide an update. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Welcome to the Forum! I'd love to hear the rebuild story - how was an XF with just 22 miles wrecked?
It's actually pretty cool how I stumbled across this rebuild. It wasn't wrecked, but stolen from a dealership while brand new. Most major exterior components where taken (Hood, trunk lid, doors, and bumpers), which warranted the "totaled" status. I will sneak sure to write up a post with the details. The before and after pics pics speak for themselves.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XF Tail Lamp and Stop Light Not Working

Sorry to hear of your problem, but I like that you were able to assemble a new car...

One taillight quit working on my '09 (I believe just the stop light). Dealer said they replaced a cracked circuit board (warranty). (I have no idea what the assembly looks like). I had backed the car into the garage door several days before a friend noticed the light was out. I assume that was the cause. Car hit the door on the rear window as it was closing (pilot error), lots of noise and abrupt stop, no other damage to the car.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFS

Just wanted update this thread with good news. I took this advice and it turns out that the power plug was in fact loose. Also, the assembly was only being held on by one 10 mil nut, as opposed to 3. I secured the plug, and fastened the assembly with 3 nuts and have had no further issues. I wish they could all be this easy!!!

Thanks again for all of the input. My next project is replacing the bulb in the driver's side door card. Wish me luck.

SB

Old 09-24-2019, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exact problem

I was just searching the same problem, thanks for posting the update after you fixed it.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben O'Toole
I was just searching the same problem, thanks for posting the update after you fixed it.
Not a bad thread mine, 5 years almost to the day!