XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Default RE: XF Transmission

IDE THROW NEED PADDLES AT IT, ESPECIALLY INERMITTENT. HAVE HAD ON XK'S BEFORE, THEYRE RELATIVELY CHEAP TO JAG, ITS A LIKELY CAUSE, AND AS LONG AS YOURE AWARE YOUR NOT TOUCHING THEM( WE DO HAVE CUSTOMERS DOING IT WITHOUT REALIZING IT) AND IVE DONE IT BEFORE ON TEST DRIVES, ESPECIALLY SINCE IM A FINGER TURNER(SPIN THE WHEEL WITH MY FINGERS)

Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

BRUTALS in the right ballpark I think. Make sure you aren't inadvertantly touching the left paddle for downshift as that will automatically put the trans in sport. Selecting the WINTER mode automatically cancels any manual shifting or sport mode and that would explain the "FIX" when winter is selected. Just some double checks before a tech puts paddles in and you have the same problem.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 AM

BRUTAL is saying that he would replace the paddle shifters. There has been a couple that shift by themselves when the wheel is turned. Not a big job for the dealer, if parts are available it should be a couple hours tops including a hand wash.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Paddles have nothing to do with Sport mode. The Sport mode is selected only by the rotary dial. I have noticed that the "detent' action on my selector dial is a bit loose and it is easy to slip the tranny into Sport mode when selecting Drive.

The paddles only shift the transmission, they do not engage Sport mode. The difference between Sport mode and Drive mode when you operate the paddles is in Drive the transmission reverts to full auto mode after 30 seconds or so of not shifting, no acceleration, braking or cornering. In Sport mode the paddle activation locks the transmission in manual shift mode regardless of acceleration, braking, cornering or time elapsed..

Holding the upshift paddle (right hand paddle) for 2 seconds continuously while in Drive restores full automatic Drive mode. Doing the same while in Sport mode restores full automatic Sport mode.

Regardless of Drive or Sport selection and regardless of any paddle commands, the transmission will always upshift at redline (at the latest) and will always downshift if the revs drop too low, UNLESS winter mode is engaged in which case first gear is locked out of automatic function and can only be manually selected with the downshift paddle.

If your transmission is selecting Sport mode intermittently this cannot be connected to the paddles but might be connected to the rotary dial shifter.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: jagular

Paddles have nothing to do with Sport mode. The Sport mode is selected only by the rotary dial. I have noticed that the "detent' action on my selector dial is a bit loose and it is easy to slip the tranny into Sport mode when selecting Drive.

The paddles only shift the transmission, they do not engage Sport mode. The difference between Sport mode and Drive mode when you operate the paddles is in Drive the transmission reverts to full auto mode after 30 seconds or so of not shifting, no acceleration, braking or cornering. In Sport mode the paddle activation locks the transmission in manual shift mode regardless of acceleration, braking, cornering or time elapsed..

Holding the upshift paddle (right hand paddle) for 2 seconds continuously while in Drive restores full automatic Drive mode. Doing the same while in Sport mode restores full automatic Sport mode.

Regardless of Drive or Sport selection and regardless of any paddle commands, the transmission will always upshift at redline (at the latest) and will always downshift if the revs drop too low, UNLESS winter mode is engaged in which case first gear is locked out of automatic function and can only be manually selected with the downshift paddle.

If your transmission is selecting Sport mode intermittently this cannot be connected to the paddles but might be connected to the rotary dial shifter.
and while this is true, everytime Ive talked to a customer or advisor about this they reffer to "Sport" as themode for manual shifting. So I am only assuming this on this post too...and we all know what *** u me gets you

Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 AM

baraf the paddles are nothing more than small microswitches, and the wiring can be either chaffed of pinched in the wheel, Ive seen both on the same car. Chaffed on the 1st repair, and pinched on the 2nd(oops)....And the paddles simply unscrew from the wheel, remove air bag, wheel and replace switches, about 15 minutes, Thats why I dont see it as such a big deal for a tech to do...Unless maybe youre going to a dealer that makes techs buy anything they put on that doesnt fix a car(sometimes you have to replace a part as part of diag, not to throw parts at a car, but a logical thought process of fault and most likely reason) if this is the case good luck with ever fixing a intermittent problem.....

Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Once again I find myself agreeing with BRUTAL, I don't understand why they just don't put a pair of paddles on the car and see what happens or at least pull the wheel apart and verify no damage to the wiring. The wiring is tight and short for those steering wheel switches and paddles and I could easily see a problem developing there.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 AM

YOU GUYS, WE AT DEALERS ARE NOT ALL MORONS, AND WE DO WANT TO FIX CARS, JUST SOMETIMES THINGS DONT HOLD UP THEIR HAND A SAY HEY ITS ME! BUT A GOOD THOUGHT PROCESS AND A DEALERSHIPS MANAGEMENT THAT WANTS THE SAME THING TOO IS NECCESSARY. IVE PUT PARTS IN AND TOLD THE CUSTOMER, "I DNOT KNOW IF THIS WILL FIX, BUT ITS LIKELY, LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS A GO FROM THERE" I MEEN YOU GO TO THE DOCTOR AND THEY SAY THE SAME THING, "TAKE THIS PERSCRIPTION, LETS SEE HOW YOU DO AND IF THAT DOESNT GET IT WE'LL GO FROM THERE" THATS WHY DOCTORS CALL IT A PRACTICE. YOU USE SOUND JUDGEMENT AND INFO, UNFORTUNATLY SOME DEALERS ARE LIKE BAD HMO'S

Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

That one isn't going in my notebook....

It's going on my wall.

And it's the same sort of battle with customer pay work, sometimes I have to err on the side of caution and not replace an expensive componentwhich I cannot definitely condemn. I eat the time, and the customer thinks he has to find someone more capable to correct his problem. So they surrender a stack of cash to someone more adept at taking it, often times with no other result. I never used to get chargebacks for warranty work, and I sure can't afford it on my own dime either.

BRUTAL and R_Tboth have the right attitude, you can't turn to the owner of a new car and say that you couldn't find the problem so you didn't do anything to try to correct it.Keep paddling.