XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF VS BMW VS MB..Quality help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF VS BMW VS MB..Quality help...

Hello all.

I am new here and hope some van help me out.
I was a Jaguar owner, a 02 X-type....and I was not so happy.....Sadly to say. It looked great, but the quality, no.

So, now I am driving a 09 BMW 5 series. But, I am going to trade in for something new soon.
Then I am looking at the XF, what a car to look at, woooow. Just superb.

But, how is the quality on them now?
The cars I am thinking of are the new BMW 5 series, the MB new E class and/or the XF. It is a new car I am going for, or a demo car from the dealer.

Looks, the XF wins it all.
But how is the long term quality and ride comfort?

I really like these car, but the quality keeps coming back as a issue...

All help or information is great.
Thanks all.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Car magazine confirms that Jaguar is in 3rd place behind Lexus and Honda in Europe's JD Power ratings. Mercedes is 4th and BMW is 7th.

The XF is a very well built car and designed to be easier to build than the S ever was.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I was on the passenger side in XF .When I opened the doors , leather trims tickled my interest , they were really awesome . Center console was also upholstered in leather that was a higher quality than BMW 5 & and MB E . Because BMW 5 offered no this option as standard trim option

I believe XF raised the bar in its class and hence new Mercedes Benz E Class upgraded its quality because earlier E Series did have some quality issues too

Old 08-27-2011, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information.
Well, yes, the quality feeling is there in the XF, looks and feel just like a Jaguar.

Did not know the XF was 3rd in the JD rating, now that was good news.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Like a number of people on this forum, I have owned MB, BMWs and the XF is my first Jaguar. The XF is a very attractive car and compares very well with comparable BMW 5 and MB E series. For what is it worth here are some my observations:

1. The XF has better standard options (V8 engine, navigation, heated and cooled seats in the Premium upwards) than either of the competitors. The BMW 5 series, in particular, can get very expensive very quickly when you add these options. A similarly equipped 5 series is around $10K more and MB about $7K.

2. The new F10 series BMW 5 series is, in my opinion, very generic looking and has lost much of its sports sedan feel, becoming a executive luxury cruiser, much like the MB. This leaves the XF with the sports sedan crown in this segment in my opinion.

3. There are some distinctly rough edges to the XF. Persistent rattles from various parts of the car, paper thin under dash covering (it keeps falling down in my car), cheap feeling steering wheel paddles (they are plastic and not metal), seats that have little lateral support and are rather narrow in the Premium etc. are some examples. These may seem minor, but can give the car an unfinished feel in my opinion.

4. Residual values on the XF are not as good as either of the competitors. Important if you are leasing.

5. I have had a number of minor but irritating issues with the XF. Rattles, faulty rear light assemblies being the main problems. However I have had no major issues. The last 5 series i owned (2007 model year) was flawless and the previous models have been very similar (I have owned around 5 5 series cars). The MB E500 I owned, had a lot of issues. Air suspension pump, brakes, steering rack and driver seat replacement. The MB500 never let me down but it had the most serious problems of any car I owned in the last 20 years. In general I have had little problem with any BMW (and I have owned around 12 of them over the past years) but do not agree with their general design direction and mourn the loss of the true 5 series sport sedan which is why I went to the XF.

6. If you are looking for a distinctive sports sedan, the XF is your car. Reliability has been excellent for me and the only issue has been the persistent rattles I get which can detract from the quality feel of such a car.

These are my personal experiences and opinions but I hope this helps.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Check the sunroof. I suspect a lot of "rattles" in the XF are actually sunroof gasket problems. They use a hard gasket and any dirt can cause issues.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Check the sunroof. I suspect a lot of "rattles" in the XF are actually sunroof gasket problems. They use a hard gasket and any dirt can cause issues.
This has been checked and "greased" a number of times. The rattles come from 3 distinct locations: Front roof console (I have had the Jaguar Sense lights replaced twice and each time they made it worse and then went back to make it better but never completley removed it - you can stop the squeaking by laying your finger on the console close to the lights), rear drivers side door panel (re routed the window motor cable but it comes back after a while - the so called roof clip fixes have been applied but passengers in the rear confirm that it comes from the door and not the roof lining) and the center console where the lids for the cup holders rattle (you can hold them down with your finger and they stop).

Pity because otherwise this is a great car.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most of the statements above. I too have intermittent rattle / body flex noises from the drivers door and intermittent electronic gremlins.

My wife's E class is absolutely solid going on 5 years, with zero problems. My prior BMW s were all convertibles, so I had the usual body flex issues... Although my wife's SLK never had those issues.

I would place the Jag at below the Benz but above the BMWs in quality.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I would agree with most of the above, having come from ownership of several BMWs and a couple of Audis. My XFR is at least in the same league re quality. I only have a few thousand miles on mine, but the most serious problem I've had so far is nails in the tire causing slow leaks (same one, 2x), which is not really attributable to the car. In terms of comfort/handling tradeoff, the XFR handles at least as well as any prior model M5 (I've not driven the F10 version yet) but is more comfortable. A similarly equipped F10 M5 is likely at least $10k more based on estimates I hear from those shopping for one, but who haven't actually seen price sheets yet.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

After 34K miles on my 2009 XF-SC, just had my first warranty repair. The driver side mirror motor was beginning to fail. Other than the recall for the shifter circuit board and the wiper stalk problems early on, I haven't had any other repairs except for replacement of the rear brake pads at 32K miles plus three complete sets of tires.