XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF vs XF Supercharged.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF vs XF Supercharged.

I drive about 80 miles round trip to office everyday. I drive an XJ8 with 170k miles ... 97% hwy miles.

My question is if money is not an issue...what model would you pick...XF or XFR? My worry is the Supercharger model would not hold up to those miles.

The Jaguar I have now has been trouble free with over 170k miles.

Thx

Old 10-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my XF supercharged, 2009 with 35K, I get 23 to 24 mpg on the highway.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

My '09 XF naturally aspirated delivers 27 mpg on the highway, actually measured. The onboard fuel consumption display is 3% low (reads lower consumption than actual so displays optimistically better fuel economy than actual).

The new 5.0 naturally aspirated engine delivers 385 hp, goes like stink, and matches the smaller engine for economy due to direct injection.

Having said that, money no object buy an XFR it sounds like an amazing car.....

There will be no durability differences between the naturally aspirated and supercharged engines. The engines are not highly stressed in either iteration. For a highly stressed engine check out the Ferrari 458 Italia.... Remember that supercharged engines hardly ever run boosted in normal driving. You cannot drive on boost for more than a few seconds at a time and keep your drivers license. On the highway the supercharger is just idling and the engine just loafing along.

Last edited by jagular; 10-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My '10 XF with the 5.0L 385 bhp engine delivers about 23.5 mpg on average (measured over 28,000 miles) with a mix of town, urban and highway driving. My 60 mile round trip drive to the office is 50% town/urban and 50% highway (toll roads at 70 mph) driving.

With regards to longevity I tend to agree with Jagular with respect to engine stress with the proviso that a supercharger adds complexity and hence will affect reliability and repair costs. I tend to avoid super or turbo charged engines (this is going to be difficult today as most manufacturers turn to lower displacement, super or turbo charged engines in order to improve consumption figures!!) due to potential longer term reliability issues caused by the added complexity of such engines. I worked on early engine management systems in the early part of my career and learnt a lot about how turbo and super chargers affect engine performance and long term reliability. Although materials and technology have come a long way in the intervening years I am still averse to overly complex systems. I tend to agree with Colin Chapman when looking at engineering systems (at least I think it was him and I am probably misquoting here but near enough): Simplify and add lightness....

The XFR is a superb machine, but you are not going to get much use of that engine and performance in Texas. Roads in Texas are not exactly challenging (we do have some nice ones in the Hill Country but they are only fun roads and go nowhere) and Texas is supposed to be one of the states with the most prosecutions for speeding per road mile driven due to their low tolerance for excess speed. I am not sure I believe this but it is worth bearing in mind.

Bottom line is the XF is a great car and fun to drive. The XFR is more fun but where do you get to use it? Hence I bought the XF Premium. It is not as sexy to look at, but it drives and handles extraordinarily well and it may well save you a bundle in running costs and depreciation.

Just my thoughts.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:17 PM

For mostly highway cruising then XF better, but if money really no worry.....XFR

Old 10-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks guys...I guess I will go with the XF and keep the string of good luck with jaguar going.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:49 AM

Ive 32k miles on my '10 XFR. Not a single problem. 25 to 27 hwy mpg. Drove an XF as a loner for a few days while I was waiting for tires. (sad to say but I burned up the rears, guess I was having to much fun around town...lol) Anyways even for just hwy use I wouldnt give up my XFR for anything. Sometimes just to have that extra spurt of power when I'm driving in Chicago traffic to get aorund idots diving really slow in the left lane (one of my huge pet peevs btw) is really great. And when an M5 blows past me its nice to know he cant run away from me...hehe.

Seriously wouldnt trade down to an XF even if all my driving was hwy.

Just my .02 worth

Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM

If I could have one thing the XFR has (other than the proper seats it sports) it would be the adaptive suspension. To me the XF Prem has enough HP but I'm willing to bet the SC AND XFR have better ride quality due to that susp setup. Obv they will handle better as well. But to have good ride quality whether you are highway cruising or tracking has got to be pretty nice.