XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF window powers down

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF window powers down

This one is a puzzle. Yesterday I lowered the driver-side rear window from the driver's door switch. I then lifted the 'lever' to raise the window and it ran up to the closed position . . . but it immediately powered down about a third of the way, then stopped. Tried again and the same thing. Stopped the car (engine running) and used the rear door switch and the very same thing happened. Thought it might have been a driver's switch issue. The only way to get the window to stay in the closed position is to switch off the ignition just as the window hits the top. Started engine again and the window stayed up.

Went through the same power down > power up and it again dropped as before. Same process to get it to stay up . . . watch it and cut power.

Any flashes of brilliance or a similar experience and solution you have had would be appreciated before I take it into the shop.
Thanks.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

There is a reset procedure to set the upper and lower limits of the windows. Think yours is out is alignment and it thinks it still has more to go when it hits the top so is assuming something is jammed in the window and is dropping back down

It's pretty simple. Something like close it all the way. Then lift and hold the window switch for a couple of seconds.
Then open it all the way. And press and hold window switch for 2 seconds

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-close-68802/

Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How simple . . . and thank you!

Couldn't be easier. What a great forum.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
There is a reset procedure to set the upper and lower limits of the windows. Think yours is out is alignment and it thinks it still has more to go when it hits the top so is assuming something is jammed in the window and is dropping back down

It's pretty simple. Something like close it all the way. Then lift and hold the window switch for a couple of seconds.
Then open it all the way. And press and hold window switch for 2 seconds

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-close-68802/
I had to do the same thing on mine. Glad it was such a simple fix.