XF and XJ Supercharged engine intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts
Old 01-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Did we get an idea of costs on the TCP intake? I saw some numbers thrown around but I don't think anything final.

$700 is a laughable no, but half that would be reasonable for a quality euro aftermarket part

I thought I saw on their website it was advertised around $300..

I personally think it's mediocre, there's too much silicone... It has a barely noticeable aluminum tube on the driver side, 6"-7" piece on the passenger side, the y-pipe that is also barely noticeable and then just silicone tubing.. Why not just make the entire bend from aluminum and just use silicon couplers verse tubing... but that's just my opinion

The following users liked this post:
WRXtranceformed (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Did we get an idea of costs on the TCP intake? I saw some numbers thrown around but I don't think anything final.

$700 is a laughable no, but half that would be reasonable for a quality euro aftermarket part
Well my TCP intake is on it's way and COST what they quote on their website...and was FAR less than $700.00.

WRXtranceformed (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by amustafa32

I personally think it's mediocre, there's too much silicone... It has a barely noticeable aluminum tube on the driver side, 6"-7" piece on the passenger side, the y-pipe that is also barely noticeable and then just silicone tubing.. Why not just make the entire bend from aluminum and just use silicon couplers verse tubing... but that's just my opinion
From everything I've read and heard about intakes, the worst material for intake tubing is metal, especially knowing that our engine bay temperatures promote heat soak. The plastic takes longer to heat up and cools down quicker so maybe it's the same with the silicone and that's why they used a disproportionate amount compared to the aluminum.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
From everything I've read and heard about intakes, the worst material for intake tubing is metal, especially knowing that our engine bay temperatures promote heat soak. The plastic takes longer to heat up and cools down quicker so maybe it's the same with the silicone and that's why they used a disproportionate amount compared to the aluminum.
The silicone must also act as a vibration dampener, as the corrugated arms of the factory plastic intake did. Performance is not always pretty..lol

Old 01-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Even if it held more heat, it's not going to effect HP especially at WOT. It'll only heat theair minimally if your in stop & go traffic. Plastic or aluminum it's nothing that will increase/decrease performance on this car with where the intake is. I ran an aluminum intake on a twin turbo vehicle, winter/summer here in PHX and I could put my hand on the aluminum piping right after a drive and it was not hot. On this car unless you relocate it somehow I feel it's just what's more appealing to the eye. The main benefit of any aftermarket intake for XFR is the fact that it will be true 3" verse the stock and getting rid of the resonators for better sound a better flow. For a boosted vehicle, aluminum in my opinion is also a safer route to go. If the silicone acted better than aluminum, why not just make the whole thing from silicone? I know this debate can go on for century's so it is what is

Blackcoog (01-12-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I do not see it being an issue. After our discussions last month about lowering the IAT and my experimenting it dawned on me that IAT sensor is most likely after the throttle body. Which makes sense on a supercharged car the intake temps will always increase when compressed it doesn't really matter what you do with the intake before the throttle body the ECU is not looking at that temperature. Even this morning when it was 45° outside the IATs were 30° above ambient just like they were when the ambient temperature was 90° in October.

Making the intercooler more efficient or at the very least figuring out how to insulate the cold lines of the intercooler would probably gain us something or as mentioned before swapping out to a better cooling system for the intercooler would definitely help. Unfortunately we have no room to do that in the engine bay short of throwing it in the trunk i am not sure where else it would go.

Insulating the entire intake only helped minimize heat soak of the intake when idle it did nothing for the IATs while driving.

amustafa32 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Here is real data, I took the TCP intake off, put stock on and just came back from a cruise and the Intake temp stayed around 97 and under boost it dropped, then coming off throttle it would go up. But pretty steady at 97. So I parked and it reached 104. This was with stock intake.

Next day I installed the TCP aluminum intake and followed the same procedure. The car when on steady throttle stayed around 91, which is 6 degrees better than the stock intake and when parked, it sat at 100 vs 104 with stock.

This could all be due to the weather, temps are in the 50's. So in cooler weather the aluminum TCP wins this battle. I will be very curious when the weather here reaches 100 degrees if the outcome is the same.

Stock TCP

Attached Thumbnails XF and XJ Supercharged engine intake?-image-4030683857.jpg   XF and XJ Supercharged engine intake?-image-1124564885.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Even if it held more heat, it's not going to effect HP especially at WOT. It'll only heat theair minimally if your in stop & go traffic. Plastic or aluminum it's nothing that will increase/decrease performance on this car with where the intake is. I ran an aluminum intake on a twin turbo vehicle, winter/summer here in PHX and I could put my hand on the aluminum piping right after a drive and it was not hot. On this car unless you relocate it somehow I feel it's just what's more appealing to the eye. The main benefit of any aftermarket intake for XFR is the fact that it will be true 3" verse the stock and getting rid of the resonators for better sound a better flow. For a boosted vehicle, aluminum in my opinion is also a safer route to go. If the silicone acted better than aluminum, why not just make the whole thing from silicone? I know this debate can go on for century's so it is what is
I agree that for "boost" Aluminum is the way to go, but there is no boost going through the intake tract of the AJ133, only air under vacuum. And at this point unless you do your own hi flo intake in aluminum, or the $700 Fluid Motor Union one off, TCP ($300) and factory($380) are the only options. And since I'm upgrading from factory???..LOL

Last edited by Bigg Will; 01-10-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chXFS
Here is real data, I took the TCP intake off, put stock on and just came back from a cruise and the Intake temp stayed around 97 and under boost it dropped, then coming off throttle it would go up. But pretty steady at 97. So I parked and it reached 104. This was with stock intake.

Next day I installed the TCP aluminum intake and followed the same procedure. The car when on steady throttle stayed around 91, which is 6 degrees better than the stock intake and when parked, it sat at 100 vs 104 with stock.

This could all be due to the weather, temps are in the 50's. So in cooler weather the aluminum TCP wins this battle. I will be very curious when the weather here reaches 100 degrees if the outcome is the same.

Stock TCP
Appreciate the scientific numbers. I was speaking in theory as I haven't ever changed a complete intake. And since you have both to compare, it's something I can't do. Love the forum for these things.

Now I'm thinking I should get a TCP intake because it won't hurt temps and it will sound and look better :-)

Old 01-11-2015, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by BiggWilli
I agree that for "boost" Aluminum is the way to go, but there is no boost going through the intake tract of the AJ133, only air under vacuum. And at this point unless you do your own hi flo intake in aluminum, or the $700 Fluid Motor Union one off, TCP ($300) and factory($380) are the only options. And since I'm upgrading from factory???..LOL
Ya like I said getting away from factory intake is still better cause of the resonators and the fact the it will be a true 3". Also, I am building an all aluminum one 😁, just haven't had time. Hoping to have it done this month I already bought the parts.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

chXFS,

Any noticeable HP/TQ gain on your dashcommand app from the TCP intake? Any other thoughts on comparing the stock to TCP intake? Thanks, appreciate the info.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

I built a custom intake pretty much the same as the TCP one - I noticed big differences but agree that the metal piping is an issue in this engine bay. I wrapped it in metal heat wrap which made a difference but without that you couldn't touch the metal pipe after a run because it was so hot! Looking at alternatives, possibly plastic piping?

2010 Kyanite XFR (01-12-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandJag
chXFS, Any noticeable HP/TQ gain on your dashcommand app from the TCP intake? Any other thoughts on comparing the stock to TCP intake? Thanks, appreciate the info.
Yes, don't know how reliable it is, but showed 25 HP/ 30 TQ and 2psi more vac. Can't say I got more boost cause it stayed at 11psi as the max. As far as the HP and TQ its reading from the ECU so that would translate to much less rear wheel numbers.

Last edited by chXFS; 01-11-2015 at 09:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chXFS:
2010 Kyanite XFR (01-12-2015), MarylandJag (01-13-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Got mine in, took about an hour, an easy install with a little jockying and lube..lol But the car LOVES IT! And with just a hint of supercharger whine..

Took some jockying and lube but it's in!

Higgins is looking sharp today

T Y Chris at TCP!

Blackcoog (01-26-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Will, when you say the car loves it what do you mean? Throttle response? Revs quicker? Pulls better at certain rpm?

Taking off the resonators from the stock intake should increase the intake noise and supercharger whine, but was curious whether you hear it more at all rpm levels and throttle positions or is it just more pronounced at WOT?

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 01-25-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
I have a 2012 Range Rover fullsize and i was wondering if the TCP intake would be compatible? I know it is the same AJ133 supercharged 5.0L as you all have.
Any advice from you guru's would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor

Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by TxWhiskey
Hello all,
I have a 2012 Range Rover fullsize and i was wondering if the TCP intake would be compatible? I know it is the same AJ133 supercharged 5.0L as you all have.
Any advice from you guru's would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor
The stock 5L Supercharged XF intake layout is much different than the Range Rovers so the TCP intake would not fit. The XF stock intake Y's down into one throttle body and it appears that the Range Rover has two separate throttle bodies. Email them for more info and they might be able to put one together for you.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 01-26-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 AM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Any intake available for the NA 5.0 engine? I can't seem to find any

Old 01-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Will, when you say the car loves it what do you mean? Throttle response? Revs quicker? Pulls better at certain rpm?

Taking off the resonators from the stock intake should increase the intake noise and supercharger whine, but was curious whether you hear it more at all rpm levels and throttle positions or is it just more pronounced at WOT?
This whine is heard at the top of the gears, where before I heard nothing and the car pulls stronger from about 2000 rpm on. My belief is the Jag intake was a compromise to fit the budget not performance, so the 5.0 SC intake is the same as the 5.0 NA intake even though the SC makes 100+ more HP.
We now have a viable replacement for the stock intake, that cost less and flows better than stock and is READY TO BE INSTALLED out the box.
My stock intake is now the backup.

Stock

My TCP

The following 4 users liked this post by Bigg Will:
2010 Kyanite XFR (01-27-2015), panels (02-04-2015), Reaxions (10-27-2015), WRXtranceformed (01-27-2015)

Quick Reply: XF and XJ Supercharged engine intake?