XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF and XJ Supercharged engine intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
This whine is heard at the top of the gears, where before I heard nothing and the car pulls stronger from about 2000 rpm on. My belief is the Jag intake was a compromise to fit the budget not performance, so the 5.0 SC intake is the same as the 5.0 NA intake even though the SC makes 100+ more HP.
We now have a viable replacement for the stock intake, that cost less and flows better than stock and is READY TO BE INSTALLED out the box.
My stock intake is now the backup.

Stock

My TCP
Nice! If you ever get that thing to a dyno, it would awesome to be able to see a pull on both setups to see if there is any measurable gain there.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
Any intake available for the NA 5.0 engine? I can't seem to find any
It's close but the TCP intake definitely won't fit the NA 5L. The 5L NA intake tube is different. The throttle body is in the center of the engine bay unlike the Supercharged/XFR cars. There is also a large section of the intake tube that runs back toward the firewall into a 1" hose. Here is a picture I found of the NA 5L so people can see the differences.

Attached Thumbnails XF and XJ Supercharged engine intake?-5l-na-engine-2-resize.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Bigg Will (01-29-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I own the car that TCP used to mock and create the 5.0 SC intake. Having put about 1000 miles on my car with the TCP intake installed I've haven't run into any issues. There is noticeable, good sounding, roar when I push the car to cruise at 3k+ rpm in Sport Mode.

I do plan on getting a dyno after I install an after market exhaust and supercharger pulley if anyone is interested. I did see an interest in former posts if there is any gains from this intake. Not sure if I can bring the stock one along though.

Anyone noticed that Mina increased their exhaust prices to just under 1k now? I was going to get that model but at 1k I'll look at all the options.

The following 2 users liked this post by Feeze:
Blackcoog (02-09-2015), Redjaguar100 (02-20-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

I built my own intake that's pretty much the same as the TCP one, but I have to say I'm pretty concerned about heat soak. I've wrapped the aluminum Y Piece in heatshield wrap as well as any metal pipes that are exposed which has likely helped a bit but I just think metal is the wrong material to be making these intakes from.

Tempted to build up a custom Carbon Fibre intake, but it looks like a lot of work!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davetibbs
I built my own intake that's pretty much the same as the TCP one, but I have to say I'm pretty concerned about heat soak. I've wrapped the aluminum Y Piece in heatshield wrap as well as any metal pipes that are exposed which has likely helped a bit but I just think metal is the wrong material to be making these intakes from.

Tempted to build up a custom Carbon Fibre intake, but it looks like a lot of work!
There is already a post earlier in this thread showing that temps dropped using this intake vs. the stock intake. There aren't any problems using metal for intake tubing. Like I stated in your thread, you could pay a few bucks and send the metal tubes out to be ceramic coated which would further reduce temps but I'm not sure you'd ever notice the difference.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 02-13-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
There aren't any problems using metal for intake tubing. Like I stated in your thread, you could pay a few bucks and send the metal tubes out to be ceramic coated which would further reduce temps but I'm not sure you'd ever notice the difference.
I just got off the phone with a friend of my brothers who owns a Hurst Trans AM with a metal intake and he said, although the tube gets hot at times, He has never noticed a decrease in HP. So if that's the case, The temp of the metal tubing is less important as to the amount of air that you can flow through the intake.

Attached Thumbnails XF and XJ Supercharged engine intake?-marks-trans-am.png  
Old 02-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

When under full throttle the incoming air doesn't have the time so to speak to absorb heat from the metal tube. If its a concern you can always wrap it. Also a high ply silicone tube or coupler shouldn't be an issue either. Cheap silicone couplers or long runs can collapse. Anyways I was doing some research in adding a dual setup to a 2004 xjr and ended up here;O) Curious what the performance difference is

Old 08-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2009 4.2 S/C, the TCP intake looks pretty plug and play. Is that true? Also I am not an expert on air flow, but will this mess with the MAFs at all and cause problems with the computer, I have not performed the Eurotune yet, I plan on taking it over to them in Il this year to have the pulley done with the supercharger bored out, and get the ECU tune done with them in a package deal.
Doing the intake seemed like an easy mod, but didn't want to run into issues requiring ECU tune yet.

Thanks All.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

There are no issues with check engine lights if you install it correctly. It does not require a tune. It's straight forward so anyone can install it. I've run mine for well over a year now without any check engine light issues. Looks and sounds great on the 4.2L SC.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,260 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Just finished installing my TCP intake, went without any real hitches although it still took me the best part of four hours.
Most of the time was spent fiddling around with the placement of the flexible parts and clamps to get everything to fit and line up properly. So lots of undoing and redoing those clamps, move a piece a cm this way and another piece a cm that way and so on.
At first the left part of the central Y was fouling on the S/C belt/pulley so I had to readjust things all over again.
Best solution in the end was to loosen off the outer clamp on the S/C end of the Y piece and pull the whole piece out away from the engine about 1 cm, which then gave plenty of room to clear the S/C belt. Although this resulted in slight kinks in the two central/longer pieces of black tubing, there was nothing else I could do that worked.
Once I had moved the Y piece out a bit I could barely get at the clamp nut on the outer clamp, so it's not done up real tight. To prevent the Y piece from moving in towards the engine and fouling on the S/C belt I looped a large zip tie around the central join in the Y piece and through a convenient piece of plastic attached to the radiator surround (you can see the piece I mean, directly below/in front of the Y piece, in the two pics in post #41 above) and pulled it tight. No way that sucker can move now!
I went for a brief test drive and yes the S/C whine is definitely a bit stronger now. Not by a huge amount but noticeable. It also seems as though the exhaust note is a bit beefier as well (no, I am not confusing intake roar with exhaust note, I know the difference!).
Yet to test what it sounds like or goes like at higher speeds and/or revs.

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Blackcoog (11-10-2015), Panthro (02-10-2019), rlentini (03-18-2016)