XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR 600hp

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XFR 600hp

How do we get our xfr's from 510 to 600 hp?

Last edited by GGG; 10-18-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

stand on a chair.

Last edited by XF - Xtra Fast; 11-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast
ECU Tuning Group pulley and flash combined with aftermarket exhaust and a nitrous spray bar on the intercooler will get you 600 + HP. But you won't have access to it all the time. Only when the Tranmission Control Unit lets the power flow.
Def not doing the pulley. Too much of a pain in the ***.
The ecu tuning group tune is way too overpriced.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 PM

You bought a Jaguar and are complaining about $2,000? Speed costs money how fast do you want to go?

Eurotune makes a pulley/tune that is $1400 but the gains are something like 40 hp.

The pulley is actually pretty simple its on the top of the motor and ETG loans you the puller to swap it?

BIGCAT will chime in soon he is the expert.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

A smaller pulley to raise boost would be the easiest assuming the motor can supply enough fuel and can handle the extra boost/heat. I don't think the reviews on the tunes have been that great.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM

You bought a Jaguar and are complaining about $2,000? Speed costs money how fast do you want to go?

Eurotune makes a pulley/tune that is $1400 but the gains are something like 40 hp.

The pulley is actually pretty simple its on the top of the motor and ETG loans you the puller to swap it?

BIGCAT will chime in soon he is the expert.

The pulley is a crock or crap. Its almost impossible to remove. Just as hard to put back on. I heard the power gains from that mod is not even noticeable. You can easily damage your car. I would do the tune to remove the top speed limiter and get an extra 40hp but I don't believe ecu tuning group can even get that much hp with their tune. its not about spending money, its about spending money on something worthwhile. We need someone to come out with a great cold air intake system and a really good tune that will really provide some seat of the pants difference. Bigcat said he doesn't even feel a difference. That means something to me.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM

You know bigcat is running a 11.9 with the ETG tune + pulley and a mina gallery exhaust. My stock XF SC that dynos at 448hp runs a 12.8. So whoever told you its crap didn't know what they were talking about.

cold air intake? the car has a supercharger it could care less about air flow. About the only positive change you could make to the intake side of the engine is putting a nitrous spray bar across the intecooler.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 AM

You know bigcat is running a 11.9 with the ETG tune + pulley and a mina gallery exhaust. My stock XF SC that dynos at 448hp runs a 12.8. So whoever told you its crap didn't know what they were talking about.

cold air intake? the car has a supercharger it could care less about air flow. About the only positive change you could make to the intake side of the engine is putting a nitrous spray bar across the intecooler.
Supercharged cars LOVE cold air. So a good cold air intake will definitely help. The more air flow the better. My brother has a caddy cts-v and with just an intake and tune he is pushing over 600hp. I think our cars are maxed out and it's a shame that there aren't that many parts or vendors available for the car. The ctsv has access to millions of parts and can easily be modified to be even more of a monster then it is now. Nitrous is a no go for me.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

ALL cars love cold air!

I am pretty sure Jaguar engineers already have the air intakes just right. Any modifications, you will end up loosing power.
CTS-V already comes with 556hp, therefore 45 extra hp will put it over 600. How much more is it over the 600hp?

Also, CTS-V is a montage of cars compiled into one. They took a Corvette drivetrain and shoved it in. And, at the end of the day it's still a Cadillac trying to be the grandfather of four door saloons - BMW M5. Which it will never be.....

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (11-19-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

A pulley will raise boost and raise HP IF the car can support it. If it pushes the supercharger past it's efficiency range it will generate heat and lose power. Swapping pulleys is a pain with these press-on Eaton pulleys but you can do it with a good puller. You could have the supercharger ported to gain some hp. I'd bet there is a good amount of power to be had by a set of headers or cat-less down pipes (claimed 55hp on 4.2L SC cars) but there isn't anything out there yet. avos has a 600whp SC 4.2L XKR on the forums developing SC kits. I'm not sure if he has looked at the 5.0L.

I believe my SC 4.2L uses a Eaton M112 supercharger. So if I were looking for something I'd google/call and talk to people that work on the Eaton M112 which is a huge market due to the 03-04 Mustang Cobra. The snout is different but I bet they can still upgrade it. I don't recall what supercharger they went with for the 5.0L. I know it isn't the M112.

I built a custom supercharger kit for another car a few years back but it was a Vortech kit (Centrifugal supercharger). Our cars use Eaton (roots supercharger) so I'm not expert but I know a little.

Found this 700hp SC kit in the XJ forum:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0hp-*-*-80588/

Last edited by Blackcoog; 11-06-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
I am pretty sure Jaguar engineers already have the air intakes just right. Any modifications, you will end up loosing power.
You must be joking. I'm not familiar with the stock XFR intakes, but I gained at least 30 hp with an improved intake on my measly 370 hp 4.0 XJR.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 AM

but a "cold air intake" does very very little to supply cold air especially on a car that has a intercooler.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Cars that are supercharged and intercooled are already getting pretty much as much air as the car can use. You could COOL the air by spraying nitrous on the outside of the intercooler which would give huge gains by providing cool air.

Replacing the stock paper filter with any brand aftermarket filter might... MIGHT give you 5-10 hp via additional airflow. It could also be more restrictive then the paper filter and actually cost you hp. The supercharger is already sucking air into the motor so unless you turn up the suck with a pulley your not going to get more boost by simply taking away some air filter restriction. Changing the pulley changes the boost and will get more power.

There is only 1 way to make more power in any gas car, get more air and fuel into the combustion chamber up to the limit of what the combustion chamber can burn and then get more exhaust out of the combustion chamber faster with a scavenging effect. That is all period.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Fastcat
The pulley is a crock or crap. Its almost impossible to remove. Just as hard to put back on. I heard the power gains from that mod is not even noticeable. You can easily damage your car. I would do the tune to remove the top speed limiter and get an extra 40hp but I don't believe ecu tuning group can even get that much hp with their tune. its not about spending money, its about spending money on something worthwhile. We need someone to come out with a great cold air intake system and a really good tune that will really provide some seat of the pants difference. Bigcat said he doesn't even feel a difference. That means something to me.
I beg to differ on the pulleys, you'll get a decent gain out of doing a swap to a smaller pulley. I can't comment on ETG, but I can say my flash is not that much here in Houston. Now your comment from BigCat is taken out of context since he said he has several other high HP vehicles that he's used to driving. As far as a cold air intake you would get minimal gains on a supercharged vehicle, but nothing too noticeable if that was your only mod. NOS is a no-go for me as well...you're just waiting to crack your motor.

Last edited by jlocc619; 11-06-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
You must be joking. I'm not familiar with the stock XFR intakes, but I gained at least 30 hp with an improved intake on my measly 370 hp 4.0 XJR.
30hp on a 4000 pound car isn't going to make a difference. You will feel a bigger difference not feeling up your gas tank to full.

I drove 09 supercharged XF and few 5 liter NA XFs. The SC version has about 40 more hp, which wasn't very noticeable.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
30hp on a 4000 pound car isn't going to make a difference. You will feel a bigger difference not feeling up your gas tank to full.

I drove 09 supercharged XF and few 5 liter NA XFs. The SC version has about 40 more hp, which wasn't very noticeable.
But 30hp more than the Jag engineers who you say do the best they could is pretty good for just a simple intake, no matter how much it weighs. It dropped my 1/4 mile time by .4 seconds.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

600 is easy, The only thing holding us back is more tuner time with the ECU/TCU ans a 3lb pulley with new belt. This motor is very detuned and very conservative out of the box. If the R-S is 550 and mine is say 580ish 20 more is very easy to obtain and still be just as reliable. anything more then you will start to be out of range and taking life of parts away.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=BigCat09;615585]600 is easy, The only thing holding us back is more tuner time with the ECU/TCU ans a 3lb pulley with new belt. This motor is very detuned and very conservative out of the box. If the R-S is 550 and mine is say 580ish 20 more is very easy to obtain and still be just as reliable. anything more then you will start to be out of range and taking life of parts away

why cant someone develop a better tune?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Its not easy to do.
Demand is low, Jaguar is a low production brand, supercharged cars even lower.
Need is already covered somewhat by ETG and Eurotune.

You could always go to a standalone controller.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Ahem, gentlemen, the problem is increasing maximum bmep. Horsepower is limited only by feasible available rpm. Supercharged engines don't care much about intake air temperature because compressing the air heats it up far more than any measly difference at atmospheric. That's what intercoolers are for. External cooling of the intercoolers (usually with water/ methanol spray) is rendered fairly pointless by he significant charge cooling produced fom the direct injection of fuel into the compressed air.

Supercharged engines gain nothing useful from air intake modifications. All that does is make more noise. Supercharged engines are detonation limited. They can all stuff in as much air as the engine can use. Old tricks like using really rich mixtures or nitrous injection cannot work due to emission issues. All the other tricks run into the detonation limits resulting from compression of intake air.

Quick Reply: XFR 600hp