XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR Air Intake Upgrades ( Can't find any )

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XFR Air Intake Upgrades ( Can't find any )

Hi,

I bought a Mina Gallery intake for my supercharged 5.0.
After doing some research you actually lose RWHP.
The stock intake is the best so far.

Does anyone know an intake that works or have no loss of power and more whine?

Thanks

Old 08-05-2021, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

First of all, I don't buy this "accepted view" that you lose RWHP with the Mina Intake.

Yes, I've seen that Youtube video, that other people have shared on this forum of evidence of this "fact", which contains way too many inconsistencies in it for me (hood open/closed on runs, no ECU reset after changing intake, etc etc).

What I do know is that after porting my supercharger and running with OEM intake for a while (mainly because I needed to get it smog tested with OEM fitted), swapping out to my DIY mina-style intake and resetting the ECU not only resulted in a noticeable butt-dyno increase but also raised the boost at max chat by about 3-4psi according to my boost gauge, and it's throwing codes because I'm hitting the limits of the factory fuel map. There is absolutely no way this intake is reducing airflow or performance based on this - it's all just about heat management.

In my case, I've adapted a spare set of filter boxes with some carbon fiber to work as heatshields - they're not particularly pretty, but they work - along with carbon fiber straight sections in the intake and a heat-wrapped Y piece, along with additional cold air feeds to each filter box from the front bumper. I've also had the chargecooler and inlet manifolds ceramic-coated for heat resistance:

Oh, and I've separated off the chargecooling circuit, and running to a separate high-flow coolant pump/ice tank in the trunk - build thread to follow. That might aso be helping!

All I'm saying is, don't take that one Youtube video as gospel.

I'm looking at trying to get a carbon fiber copy of the Mina intake made up to replace my DIY effort above, but it's not cheap...

Last edited by davetibbs; 08-06-2021 at 12:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davetibbs:
DeviLSh (08-15-2021), Reaxions (11-10-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 09:27 AM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
First of all, I don't buy this "accepted view" that you lose RWHP with the Mina Intake.

Yes, I've seen that Youtube video, that other people have shared on this forum of evidence of this "fact", which contains way too many inconsistencies in it for me (hood open/closed on runs, no ECU reset after changing intake, etc etc).

What I do know is that after porting my supercharger and running with OEM intake for a while (mainly because I needed to get it smog tested with OEM fitted), swapping out to my DIY mina-style intake and resetting the ECU not only resulted in a noticeable butt-dyno increase but also raised the boost at max chat by about 3-4psi according to my boost gauge, and it's throwing codes because I'm hitting the limits of the factory fuel map. There is absolutely no way this intake is reducing airflow or performance based on this - it's all just about heat management.

In my case, I've adapted a spare set of filter boxes with some carbon fiber to work as heatshields - they're not particularly pretty, but they work - along with carbon fiber straight sections in the intake and a heat-wrapped Y piece, along with additional cold air feeds to each filter box from the front bumper. I've also had the chargecooler and inlet manifolds ceramic-coated for heat resistance:

Oh, and I've separated off the chargecooling circuit, and running to a separate high-flow coolant pump/ice tank in the trunk - build thread to follow. That might aso be helping!

I'm looking at trying to get a carbon fiber copy of the Mina intake made up to replace my DIY effort above, but it's not cheap...
do you think the y split in aftermarket intakes could be a bottle neck? After looking at your thread I was thinking of going with 3.5 inch y and tubing. But I plan on using more silicon tubing.

Last edited by Oxidizer2k; 08-06-2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
do you think the y split in aftermarket intakes could be a bottle neck? After looking at your thread I was thinking of going with 3.5 inch y and tubing. But I plan on using more silicon tubing.
No, I don't think that the Y split is a serious bottleneck, nor is really any other part of the design. Jaguar tune the OEM intake with the primary objectives being 1) Reduce NVH 2) Cost of manufacture 3) Reduce NVH more. Your typical XF owner does not want supercharger whine. The idea that increasing the volume/flow of this intake (because the aftermarkets certainly don't decrease over OEM), and removing NVH additions would cause it to lose power is ridiculous.

However, Mina's intake being made out of polished metal I'm sure looks nice to some people, and probably reduces cost of manufacture at low volume for a company that already sells a lot of mandrel-bent exhausts, but doesn't help heatsoak, which will affect power output to some degree (especially on a rolling road, and especially if during a video of this rolling road session the hood is closed on those runs vs open with the stock intake, hint hint). That said, there are two points to make here: 1) the increased airflow, providing the ECU can increase the fueling to match, should more than make up for a few degrees increase in intake air temp. Incidentally, this is why you need to reset the learning parameters of the ECU using SDD or an advanced code reader if you're swapping intakes - it will learn over time but you need to manually trigger it if you're expecting an instance change e.g. between rolling road runs in a slightly sketchy Youtube video 2) There are definite steps you can take to reduce heatsoak. Making the aftermarket intake out of something other than mandrel-bent aluminum would be a good start - as I said I'm leaning towards carbon although that's obviously pricey - but honestly just heatwrapping it or having it ceramic coated would probably go quite some way to addressing it.

At the end of the day, the supercharger increases the air temp by a large amount when it compresses the air. Doing what you can to keep the air temp going into the supercharger as low as possible, so your "baseline" is low, makes sense, as does doing what you can after the supercharger - for example, uprated intercooler pump and larger intercooler rad.

But in my opinion, the idea that you're guaranteed to lose power if you go anything other than OEM (which is what that often-circulated Youtube video seems to suggest) is completely false. After all, Jaguar's own land speed record XF used a custom intake, and so do their racing Project 8s.

Last edited by davetibbs; 08-06-2021 at 02:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davetibbs:
Reaxions (11-10-2021), VicVegas84 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:01 PM

Thanks alot Dave. I guess i'll keep my Mina Gallery intake.. i wrapped it with thermal resistance tape as well.
Any advice for my intake setup? Planning to get K&N filters. Also what would you say is the engine max HP without rebuilding it?

Old 08-07-2021, 12:13 PM

Hey?

Old 08-07-2021, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Ramil - honestly, I'm not sure on engine HP limits, but AFAIK you'll hit the factory torque limit in the TCM programming before you destroy your engine. And then even if you rebuild your transmission with uprated 6R80 parts, which I currently have going as a long-running side-project with a spare trans, you then start hitting the limits of the e-diff in the rear, or indeed the halfshafts, so you're always going to be forced to the next weak link in the chain. I'm not aiming for any particular number but am definitely ready to get it tuned at this point - my rebuild was due to engine failure rather than a certain need for uprated parts: check your oil level regularly, people.

You can run K&Ns - I have a pair in factory airboxes that I use when I need to return the intake to stock but honestly I prefer the foam ramair cone filters I'm using the rest of the time because they don't require oiling which based on my experience I'm fairly sure doesn't do the MAF sensors on this engine any good.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (02-09-2022)
Old 08-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs

100% this. On an open road with the airflow my car is noticeably faster.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:38 PM
Default Having trouble

Originally Posted by VicVegas84
Hello I tried installing custom air intakes. on my 2012 XFR. I purchased an adapter for the MAF sensors but my car will go into restricted performance if I go full throttle. Do you know what I might of done wrong?

Old 08-08-2021, 10:41 PM
Default Having trouble

Hello I tried installing custom air intakes. on my 2012 XFR. I purchased an adapter for the MAF sensors but my car will go into restricted performance if I go full throttle. Do you know what I might of done wrong?

Old 08-08-2021, 10:41 PM

Old 08-10-2021, 04:35 PM
Sponsor
Received 419 Likes on 249 Posts

I love hearing " My car now is noticeably faster" without any actual data to back it up I really don't understand people who do modifications without actually measuring the results properly... just my 2 cents

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph
Old 08-10-2021, 09:49 PM
Default Help

Old 08-11-2021, 12:47 PM
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexJag
I love hearing " My car now is noticeably faster" without any actual data to back it up I really don't understand people who do modifications without actually measuring the results properly... just my 2 cents
Well there fella I dont have a dyno in my backyard. This car serves to get me to my boat and back, almost entirely on the highway. I would love to dyno all of my 6 cars and 3 motorycles but not everyone has time nor cares to dyno anything let alone a very much secondary car after an intake pipe. I might do a dyno run after I finish putting my supercharger back on following the Y pipe replacement, supercharger service, new pulley, and then not until after the tune.

Also the difference in throttle response is less subjective and indistinguisably different than before with all the baffling and limitations of the stock pipe.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:53 PM
Sponsor
Received 419 Likes on 249 Posts

Well there fella I dont have a dyno in my backyard. This car serves to get me to my boat and back, almost entirely on the highway. I would love to dyno all of my 6 cars and 3 motorycles but not everyone has time nor cares to dyno anything let alone a very much secondary car after an intake pipe. I might do a dyno run after I finish putting my supercharger back on following the Y pipe replacement, supercharger service, new pulley, and then not until after the tune.

Also the difference in throttle response is less subjective and indistinguisably different than before with all the baffling and limitations of the stock pipe.
I say this because I have seen so many cars that come to me for ECU tuning , and the ones that have modifications especially intake, many are not running right with fuel trims all over the place which can mess with your air fuel ratio , can be dangerously lean in some areas plus these cars are down on power. In most cases I end up reversing everything back to stock to make the car run properly and put out more power...

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph
Old 08-13-2021, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Surely the fuel trims can be tuned though?

If everyone is so confident that these intakes lose you power, why did the JLR SVO engineers think differently with the Racing Project 8?

Why did Rocketsports with the Land Speed Record XFR? (That gaping hole in the middle of the grille is a straight pipe into the TB)

Not to mention the size of the intake on the Team Ferlito Super V8 Racer?

I don't doubt that an intake that flows more air can cause lean outs in the factory fuel map (I'm throwing lean codes with my custom intake and ported SC, which is why the next step is obviously tuning it), but nobody can explain to me - given the above examples - why these intakes, which are objectively less restrictive than OEM, are so terrible and can only lose you power. Clearly Jaguar's own engineers didn't think so?

I'll freely admit I'm in no way an expert on ECU tuning. But what is so special about this engine that a better-flowing intake loses you power? Is it just that you're hitting the flow limits/duty cycle of the injectors or maybe outer bounds of MAF sensors? At the end of the day, isn't it just about matching optimum fuel with the volume of air that's flowing at any given point?

Finally, why are people's (including my own) butt dynos so off here? The difference I've felt in fitting this intake is not only noticeable but apparently measurable, by a good +3 psi at full boost if my boost gauge is to be believed (tapped at the chargecooler).

I'm fully willing to admit I'm wrong here. I just haven't seen nearly enough to convince me.

Last edited by davetibbs; 08-13-2021 at 10:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by davetibbs:
DeviLSh (08-15-2021), Oxidizer2k (08-13-2021), Reaxions (11-10-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 10:54 PM
Received 341 Likes on 191 Posts

If the MAF housing dia diffres from a stock then the MAF sensors should be recalibrated, pretty straight-forward job.
No losses with a non-oem intake, dyno-proven (those who claims losses just cant make a proper tune). Also much less heat soak and faster coold-down of incoming air, which is nice.

The following 2 users liked this post by MoscowLeaper:
davetibbs (08-13-2021), Reaxions (11-10-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
(those who claims losses just cant make a proper tune)
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but surely this is also a possibility, because so far this is not adding up for me. A better flowing intake loses power? How is that supposed to make sense? We have to be objective and consider all options.

Last edited by davetibbs; 08-13-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:06 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a prototype intake Mina fabbed a few months ago. R seems to like flow better in this version than the other.

I’m going to make a diy as an experiment.

Last edited by Oxidizer2k; 08-14-2021 at 02:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DeviLSh (08-29-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 03:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
I have a prototype intake Mina fabbed a few months ago. R seems to like flow better in this version than the other.

I’m going to make a diy as an experiment.
Oxidizer,does this iteration have a larger diameter runner?

Quick Reply: XFR Air Intake Upgrades ( Can't find any )