XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR E-Diff question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015 | 09:00 AM
|
Default XFR E-Diff question?

A few month ago I had to replace my E=Diff cause it was defective. I have a brand new diff and my question is, is it normal for a differential that is a posi spins only from 1 wheel once in a while. Does this mean there is something wrong with it? No codes like I got in the pass with my defective E-Diff. Apart from this everything seems normal. It just the fact that once in a while when I take off really hard I blow away only one tire.
Thanks.
Marco

Old 10-13-2015 | 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Since it's electrically controlled you can have anywhere from 0%-100% locking.

Just depends on what the computer tells it to do.

Is it acting different than the original one?

Old 10-13-2015 | 12:23 PM
|

Originally Posted by tbird6
Since it's electrically controlled you can have anywhere from 0%-100% locking.

Just depends on what the computer tells it to do.

Is it acting different than the original one?
To tell you the truth I bought this car used with a defective E-Diff. When the fault code would appear on my dash the car would ride fine except I wouldn't be able to put it on Dynamic mode cause the E-Diff was faulty. When the fault code wouldn't appear on my dash, the car would drive pretty bad, especially when you would try to park it or take a sharp curve. It was like driving a car with a spool diff (always locked). So you see, I can't really compare it to a good running E-Diff, and that is why I am asking for this info.
Thanks,
Marco

Old 10-14-2015 | 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by blown Jag
A few month ago I had to replace my E=Diff cause it was defective. I have a brand new diff and my question is, is it normal for a differential that is a posi spins only from 1 wheel once in a while. Does this mean there is something wrong with it? No codes like I got in the pass with my defective E-Diff. Apart from this everything seems normal. It just the fact that once in a while when I take off really hard I blow away only one tire.
Thanks.
Marco
I asked my service manager and their shop foreman the same question. They both told me that the E-Diff in the XFR is programmed more for overall vehicle stability and safety rather than performance. The shop foreman also thinks that the E-Diff only works with DSC either fully on or in the Trac mode.

I've taken my XFR on a road course (Streets of Willow in Rosamond, CA) and it unfortunately feels like an open differential most of the time due to my having turned DSC off completely. Although I could get the car sideways, it almost always only left one visible tire mark rather than two.

I guess the E-Diff programming in the XFR-S is a bit more performance oriented and works better overall. But I have not yet been able to experience or verify these claims.

The following users liked this post:
blown Jag (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015 | 08:56 AM
|

Originally Posted by patrickw813
I asked my service manager and their shop foreman the same question. They both told me that the E-Diff in the XFR is programmed more for overall vehicle stability and safety rather than performance. The shop foreman also thinks that the E-Diff only works with DSC either fully on or in the Trac mode.

I've taken my XFR on a road course (Streets of Willow in Rosamond, CA) and it unfortunately feels like an open differential most of the time due to my having turned DSC off completely. Although I could get the car sideways, it almost always only left one visible tire mark rather than two.

I guess the E-Diff programming in the XFR-S is a bit more performance oriented and works better overall. But I have not yet been able to experience or verify these claims.
I guess it make sense just wish it would work more like a full posi unit, cause even with the DSC off completely, and dynamic mode the car doesn't always act as if it has a posi. My 2004 S-type R would do the same but those cars didn't have a posi unit, didn't expect this from my XFR.
Thanks,
Marco