XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

[quote=sir2]I'm a master Jag/Rover tech.

I'd take Shadow993 advices with a grain of salt. You can say, it's full of...
What does he say....

Please tell me besides a typo where I'm full of shitaki ? If you notice c and v are next to each other on the keyboard. I had all timing parts replaced to avoid going back in... the increase oil pressure did eliminate the noise, as the tensioner are oil fed. My chain was tight on the drivers side where it didn't make noise. Excessive and Crazy retail cost on parts was the only reason I didn't tackle this.

My point on the fuel was to take caution opening the line, as it will spray harder than you expect when you open it.

Interference engines are all over . I did a timing belt on my 1980 fiat at 16 years old. And guess who didn't screw it up? They are nothing new.

I may not be a jag master mechanic but I can work on cars and motorcycles. I do all my own work on my 911TT and on an air cooled 911. The great master mechanic at jaguar cross threaded my intake tube bolt. Oh and he didn't seat intake tube either after a simple injection cleaning. So much for master mechanics. And did nothing but confirm what I thought was wrong ... oh and wanted $2k more and replace fewer parts.

The indi mechanic that worked on my jag wasn't a master mechanic... just a jag only mechanic.

You may know jags ... but don't ASSume others cannot work on them. Cars are nothing but big puzzles that require you to know torque when reassembling. Timing isn't complicated you just have to lock down parts from moving, match up a few timing points and be at tdc.

Why not share your wisdom and tell him how to do it and avoid pitfalls? Help the community instead of talking them out of it.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=Shadow993;1729825]
Originally Posted by sir2
I'm a master Jag/Rover tech.

I'd take Shadow993 advices with a grain of salt. You can say, it's full of...
What does he say....

Please tell me besides a typo where I'm full of shitaki ? If you notice c and v are next to each other on the keyboard. I had all timing parts replaced to avoid going back in... the increase oil pressure did eliminate the noise, as the tensioner are oil fed. My chain was tight on the drivers side where it didn't make noise. Excessive and Crazy retail cost on parts was the only reason I didn't tackle this.

My point on the fuel was to take caution opening the line, as it will spray harder than you expect when you open it.

Interference engines are all over . I did a timing belt on my 1980 fiat at 16 years old. And guess who didn't screw it up? They are nothing new.

I may not be a jag master mechanic but I can work on cars and motorcycles. I do all my own work on my 911TT and on an air cooled 911. The great master mechanic at jaguar cross threaded my intake tube bolt. Oh and he didn't seat intake tube either after a simple injection cleaning. So much for master mechanics. And did nothing but confirm what I thought was wrong ... oh and wanted $2k more and replace fewer parts.

The indi mechanic that worked on my jag wasn't a master mechanic... just a jag only mechanic.

You may know jags ... but don't ASSume others cannot work on them. Cars are nothing but big puzzles that require you to know torque when reassembling. Timing isn't complicated you just have to lock down parts from moving, match up a few timing points and be at tdc.

Why not share your wisdom and tell him how to do it and avoid pitfalls? Help the community instead of talking them out of it.
Why explain all the things you suggested when you didn't even do it yourself? You had a shop do it!

If i'm there in person I don't mind helping them, But helping a person on timing chains over the internet is like diagnosing a car over the phone. ?!?!?

Should of have just installed a Ford Coyote engine your self then... their the same right lol

Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 PM

[quote=sir2]Why explain all the things you suggested when you didn't even do it yourself? You had a shop do it!

If i'm there in person I don't mind helping them, But helping a person on timing chains over the internet is like diagnosing a car over the phone. ?!?!?

Simple ... my time is worth more than a mechanics on my daily driver. I guess you cannot read ... I clearly said dealer rip off on parts Cost was the deciding factor.

It's not rocket science, and like the PDF I posted... jag master mechanics just follow those like paint by numbers.

The real truth is all mechanics like to say take it to the shop. Otherwise they are admitting their skill isn't that special. In honestly... it's not. It usually comes down to space, time, and tools for most. Dealer mechanics just see the same problem over and over.

Oh by the way. The great master mechanic thought my misfire was dirty fuel injectors. It was actually the vacuum hose on the supercharger and a bad coil.

Oh guess who figured it out ... this guy.

Ps. There are you tube videos on the 4.0 timing job. Why not do the community a favor and do one on the 5.0? It's 2017 ... do a video instead of a phone call.

There is even one showing how to do it on the coyote engine. Bwahaha!!! So many similarities it's 😂

Last edited by Shadow993; 07-28-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Erobles396010
Do u have any idea what makes that knocking sound just is it the cam or the valves
This link has the jag repair manual

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cedure-186857/

Old 03-20-2020, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same noise after water pump and supercharger replaced 3 months ago..now have engine light on 4 codes leading to cam sensor and crank sensor then told timing skipped a tooth. Is that possible any relation

Old 03-21-2020, 12:04 AM

Could the replacement of the supercharger and water pump cause timing chain to skip a tooth and cause an engine light code..had it done 3 months ago..now they claim I need timing chain replaced 2013 xjl supercharged 86k mileage..what are your thoughts

Old 03-21-2020, 12:07 AM

How you manage warranty at that mileage

Old 03-21-2020, 01:46 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Can't think of any reason the 2 could be related. He had a CPO extended warranty

Old 05-19-2021, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It could be the dreaded torsion isolator rattle, search this site for details.
engine noise is usually coming from the timing chain tensioner, just done mines