XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR jack stand locations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XFR jack stand locations?

I will be putting the XFR in long-term storage shortly. I want to get it off the ground to prevent severe flat-spotting of the tires. I looked under the vehicle for obvious or even good stand locations and none jumped out at me. Also didn't see any reference in the user manual - did I miss it?.

Are there recommended and approved jack stand locations?

TIA ...

Last edited by vmaxxer; 10-27-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Another option is to inflate the tires to the max permitted pressure which is how the manufacturers deal with this issue. You can also buy rubber "mats" which are curved and cause the tire to resume a round profile when you park on them correctly.

Presumably, you can place jack stands at the tire changing four jacking points behind or in front of the relevant wheel. The conundrum I always consider is then where do you place the jack to get the jack stand under the jacking point.......

Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagular
Presumably, you can place jack stands at the tire changing four jacking points behind or in front of the relevant wheel. The conundrum I always consider is then where do you place the jack to get the jack stand under the jacking point.......
Exactly ...

I wouldn't trust it (even at max allowed pressure) not to flat-spot given it will be sitting in the same position for 3+ months. Im rather surprised there are not approved or recommended jack stand location shown in the user manual. First vehicle I've ever seen or had without them.

I've only given it a cursory exam at this point ... I'll spend some more time looking around for a suitable position. One catch 22 - as clean as the underside looks (and as quiet the interior) due to all the covers underneath - makes the job exponentially more difficult.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Coming back from the dead

Where do you guys put your jack stands? I want to clean the wheels and calipers this weekend. Also any good spots for a hydraulic floor jack?

Old 02-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Found this in a shop manual for 08/09 MY should be the same for all years...

Attached Files
File Type: docx
XF support points.docx (110.8 KB, 393 views)
The following users liked this post:
Mr Sharky (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by panels
Found what?? You forgot to attach your file.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by panels
I will give it a try thank you

Old 02-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

I can see the attachment fine?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I can't see the attachment either.

Here's the 2011 Workshop Manual section:

Graham

Attached Thumbnails XFR jack stand locations?-xf-jacking.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Note this is exactly the same as the S Type. The entire underneath is identical.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I can't see the attachment either.

Here's the 2011 Workshop Manual section:

Graham
Thanks GGG - That is it. I was posting from home and do not have a good pdf program there....

Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

+1 same as S-Type

Old 10-27-2022, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late to the party butttt....🤔🙄🐆🤗🐆

I know this is an old thread but I ran into this issue today for the same reason want to put my xfs (track set up) on a lift over winter to prevent tire flat spotting an also give the suspension a rest... I had mine up finally just now and my layout does not match this there are 3 pinch weld jack locations for tire change etc one rear one front an one mid front (to answer the question of the member who asked how to jack up the car in order to place a stand you use the mid front postion to raise the respective side) which may not be intended but works... The forward support points the pdf shows even after getting under have nothing but plastic undergarment on mine there an no place to position a stand at all... the only thing might be that they are under the plastic an you are expected to remove it to place them which is... a lot to go through... my solution an what you can do is use PINCH WELD PROTECTORS🤔🙀 Yayyyay!!!... 🎆🤗🎆 A rubber block with a slit basically to spread pressure an buffer the stand from direct contact with the metal preventing bends an disrupting weight this way you can long term store from the tire change positions with jack stands lifts or whatever you choose... I did my best to mark the spot of the front mid pinch weld position in green...

What I found in my adventure below today 😼

Old 10-27-2022, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Benjamin
I know this is an old thread but I ran into this issue today for the same reason want to put my xfs (track set up) on a lift over winter to prevent tire flat spotting an also give the suspension a rest... I had mine up finally just now and my layout does not match this there are 3 pinch weld jack locations for tire change etc one rear one front an one mid front (to answer the question of the member who asked how to jack up the car in order to place a stand you use the mid front postion to raise the respective side) which may not be intended but works... The forward support points the pdf shows even after getting under have nothing but plastic undergarment on mine there an no place to position a stand at all... the only thing might be that they are under the plastic an you are expected to remove it to place them which is... a lot to go through... my solution an what you can do is use PINCH WELD PROTECTORS🤔🙀 Yayyyay!!!... 🎆🤗🎆 A rubber block with a slit basically to spread pressure an buffer the stand from direct contact with the metal preventing bends an disrupting weight this way you can long term store from the tire change positions with jack stands lifts or whatever you choose... I did my best to mark the spot of the front mid pinch weld position in green...

What I found in my adventure below today 😼
You have fallen for the old trick of confusing the axle stand points with the jacking points.
Which of course is not helped by the confusing terminology from JLR in both the Owners Handbook and the Workshop Manual!
The "jacking points" shown in the diagram are not the jacking points as such, they are the axle stand points.
And believe me, those front inboard axle stand points are correct, I used them dozens of times on my old 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR, and they are outside the plastic undertray.
The jacking points are the pinch weld spots, on the edge of the chassis rails about 3 cm inboard, designed for use with the factory scissor jack which has a slot in the head which fits around the pinch weld.
On some XFs but not all those points are indicated by small triangular indents on the bottom edges of the side sills.
On my XFR the front two pinch welds eventually bent under a bit after one too many times of using a trolley jack on them, so I made a pair of slotted rubber "pucks" to use on the heads of the trolley jacks, lots of posts around here about those pucks which can be found on eBay etc.
You should never use the scissor jack if you can use a trolley jack instead, the scissor jack is too prone to collapse, bend or break (been there done that!) and is meant only for emergency roadside use.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 🤔 Hmm I may be blind then...

Interesting yea I saw the triangles in the sill and forgot to mention that... two of my pinch welds are folding slightly from shops that have done work on it I suspect I've always used the pucks and a hydrolic jack... I just got thus lift today however (from bandpak) sp?... Lol been up all day.... and I couldn't find those axle stand points even with a flashlight I was sure they were hiding lol lol ill have to look again after some rest... for the moment I just have it up on the lift being held by the four pinch jack points on a set of the pucks an it seems really stable I'm hoping that will do because even if I find them I would need to order a crossmember for the lift to get to them that far inboard... I have it on a pair of Michelin pilot connect sport cup 2's and just finished a re-tune after decating an fitting wonder wheels with larger charge cooler an pump upper lower pulley and water meth injection had to rebuild the charger as well as the coupler had that issue where they crack I still need to take it to get the speedo recalibrated an the o2 sensors cleared... it's on powerflex race bushings full set as well as stiffer springs an 625 NM damptronic shocks revolved by bilstein... an the sad thing is I have to wait till summer to track it... so it's just going to sit till then... I'll cross my fingers the pinch welds an pucks will be enough but it seems solid the lift has a 6000 pound capacity an so far all well... my ocd wants to body fill an paint those triangles btw 🙄 🤣😂🤣... thanks for the advice I'll look again tom...

Old 10-27-2022, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Benjamin
Interesting yea I saw the triangles in the sill and forgot to mention that... two of my pinch welds are folding slightly from shops that have done work on it I suspect I've always used the pucks and a hydrolic jack... I just got thus lift today however (from bandpak) sp?... Lol been up all day.... and I couldn't find those axle stand points even with a flashlight I was sure they were hiding lol lol ill have to look again after some rest... for the moment I just have it up on the lift being held by the four pinch jack points on a set of the pucks an it seems really stable I'm hoping that will do because even if I find them I would need to order a crossmember for the lift to get to them that far inboard... I have it on a pair of Michelin pilot connect sport cup 2's and just finished a re-tune after decating an fitting wonder wheels with larger charge cooler an pump upper lower pulley and water meth injection had to rebuild the charger as well as the coupler had that issue where they crack I still need to take it to get the speedo recalibrated an the o2 sensors cleared... it's on powerflex race bushings full set as well as stiffer springs an 625 NM damptronic shocks revolved by bilstein... an the sad thing is I have to wait till summer to track it... so it's just going to sit till then... I'll cross my fingers the pinch welds an pucks will be enough but it seems solid the lift has a 6000 pound capacity an so far all well... my ocd wants to body fill an paint those triangles btw 🙄 🤣😂🤣... thanks for the advice I'll look again tom...
You should be OK with four trolley jacks with pucks on the pinch welds.
For added safety you could/should try to put axle stands under the designated points as well but I always found it to be a bit of a pain with the trolley jacks in place, you have to lift the trolley jacks about as high as they will go to slide the axle stands under, those front axle stand points being so far inboard they are hard to see or get to and accurately place the axle stands, and with the rear axle stand points there is very little room left next to the trolley jack it's a real squeeze.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Good advice again from OzXFR!
It's not real clear from Jaguar either because of the terminology they use.

It's Bendpak as I had one of their lifts in the past! I sure do envy you as I currently don't have a lift at all!

It's funny about those triangles cast into the plastic body parts. They did the same on the XJ's and many people have claimed these do not exist. But they are tough to see unless directly under that part of the car.

Sadly this is my car on my old lift before I moved and had to leave it.