XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR killer for the price of XF Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default XFR killer for the price of XF Supercharged?

I love my 2010 XF 5.0L, and would think my next car will be the XF supercharged.
But, for the same $$ , you can get now the new and improved Caddilac CTS-V. The sedan especially is a real sleeper at 556HP, 550lbs-ft.
I set in one today. It's interior is quite nice, the optional Recaro seats and racing suede covered steering wheel feel amazing. I scheduled a test drive next week, just for the hell of it.
From what I read , it's better in most every performance/dynamic category compared to the XFR, M5, M3, all of them, for much less $$. Also, you can get the very sleek looking coupe or the wild looking wagon versions with 6 speed manual. All 3 versions with either transmission are priced identical! so have your pick. When was the last time you drove a station wagon capable of 191MPH top speed? ('only' 178MPH with the automatic)- quite wild.
What do you think

Last edited by yidal8; 03-25-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

In my opinion, the car is not the best looking. Especially when comparing it to any new Jaguar these days.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
In my opinion, the car is not the best looking. Especially when comparing it to any new Jaguar these days.
I totally agree. The jaguar is so much better looking. The performance of them is spectacular and the only difference between the two is at the extreme edge of handling, which most of us will rarely experience.

U see a jag and a caddy in the parking lot and the average person will levitate towards the jag.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleRider
I totally agree. The jaguar is so much better looking. The performance of them is spectacular and the only difference between the two is at the extreme edge of handling, which most of us will rarely experience.

U see a jag and a caddy in the parking lot and the average person will levitate towards the jag.
Completely agree with both of you. No offense but the Caddy makes me cringe every time I see it. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Yuk. When I was looking for a new car a few months ago I actually had the Caddy on the bottom of the list but it was there. I always like to get my wife's opinion because she is not into cars at all but focuses more on the looks, and in not so many words (jokingly obviously) she said she would leave me if I "bought that disgusting thing" when we pulled into the dealer. Needless to say we just kept on driving straight to the BMW dealer across the street.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The Caddy CTS-V blows the doors of the Jag. It's faster in a straight line and has better handling than the Jag. What it lacks is that nth degree of refinement compared to the RS6 and E63, and styling that tops the best in class Jaguar. Since we are in the "Fin de siècle" for super sedans (like the end of muscle cars in the 70's) we may never enjoy cars like this again in our lifetimes. If you can grab anyone of the players (RS6, M5, XFR, E63, CLS63) you will have the drive of your life. Savor...

Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 AM

I agree with you all - you can not compare my XF design and elegance and class, and that special feel to the 'plainness' of the CTS-V - from the outside at least, and also probably interior design.Also, I personally don't touch anything German. But once I get behind the wheel, in that Recaro seat with that beast of a motor coupled to a reportedly great suspension, brakes, handling, steering......who knows.
This will be the last time like some said above this kind of american muscle will be available. The car lapped the Nurburgring faster than any other 2011 production sedan ever did! including our beloved XFR, assorted AMG, assorted M - this year, and it was with an automatic trans.

My friend has a 2009 CTS-V, and had zero problems with it.
I Have not owned an American car for over 30 years. But I'll keep an open mind.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I test drove the CTS-V when I was looking at cars back in 2010. It was fast but that was around it - I didn't fall in love with the car like I did with the XF. The only other car that made me feel that way is my 1989 911 Cab (still beats the XF for driving experience). But the CTS-V is a nice car and I think it's a great example of how far American made cars have come. But my last American car was 1976. In Los Angeles you don't see a lot of XFs on the road which is also a plus factor for me. Way too many BMWs and MBs.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:32 PM

Well, I drove the CTS-V sedan today.
Car is not jumpy, or nervous at all. it's actually refined. Easy to even drive slow, or normal highway speeds. The steering is very nice and has better feedback than the XF, suspension is also very good in absorbing the road, and hold the turns very nice - a little better than the XF. brakes are very good. It felt very quick under acceleration even though I was expecting more, with engine note pretty entertaining. I could detect a very slight whine from the compressor - which I liked. The exhaust note is louder under all conditions, which makes the XF quiter highway car.The ride is surprisingly compliant - almost as good as the XF.The interior was nice and very quiet, no rattles. The 6 speed automatic was pretty responsive ( close, but not as good as the XF). The steering mounted buttons worked fine for me for down/up shifting. All in all, very nice package. Fast without screaming 'look at me I'm fast'. Car felt planted and balanced taking the off/on ramps at a good clip. Car feels smaller and lighter than the XF, even though it's heavier.

Of course from the outside it does look rather plain.

Last edited by yidal8; 03-28-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why fin de siècle for super sedans?

Say it ain't so... What's causing this, in your view? Fuel economy requirements? Younger buyers who don't understand or appreciate superior performance?

Originally Posted by Le Chef
...Since we are in the "Fin de siècle" for super sedans (like the end of muscle cars in the 70's) we may never enjoy cars like this again in our lifetimes. If you can grab anyone of the players (RS6, M5, XFR, E63, CLS63) you will have the drive of your life. Savor...

Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Gas prices, the environment. The pressure on cars companies is immense. The next M5 gets a V8, the 3 and 5 Series are downsizing engines from 8's to 6's and more 4's in the US. Porsche is moving from 3.8 flat 6's to 3.4's and will add flat 4's back into the mix. If you really like big numbers - cylinders, capacity, torque - better buy now. Next generation models will be lighter, more fuel efficient, have much smaller engines, and quite possibly be hybrids.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggested to my wife that we might look at the CTS-V when the lease on our XF Supercharged came up. It would take a lot to move me to Cadillac but I thought a little due diligence might be in order because of the positive things that I had heard about the car. There was no way she was interested - at least not until she gets pink hair in a beehive!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
I love my 2010 XF 5.0L, and would think my next car will be the XF supercharged.
But, for the same $$ , you can get now the new and improved Caddilac CTS-V. The sedan especially is a real sleeper at 556HP, 550lbs-ft.
I set in one today. It's interior is quite nice, the optional Recaro seats and racing suede covered steering wheel feel amazing. I scheduled a test drive next week, just for the hell of it.
From what I read , it's better in most every performance/dynamic category compared to the XFR, M5, M3, all of them, for much less $$. Also, you can get the very sleek looking coupe or the wild looking wagon versions with 6 speed manual. All 3 versions with either transmission are priced identical! so have your pick. When was the last time you drove a station wagon capable of 191MPH top speed? ('only' 178MPH with the automatic)- quite wild.
What do you think
I don't care how fast it is. I would never buy a GM product,

Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by AJ16er

That's what I said all these years about Jaguar also...

Old 03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Ditto my wife has a GM granted its only a Grand Am its horrible. My cousin retired from GM and he has had Cadillac's Chevy's GMC's etc and he said if he didnt work for them and get a discount he would never own a GM product. My thing with them is the interior build quality. It seems like every one of his GM's rattled like crazy after being only a few years old. Even his Cadillac. Hopefully they have gotten better over the years. I do love the looks of the CTS-V. I think they look very mean and very nice. But I like to keep my vehicles for a while so I'll have to wait and see how they are after some time and everything gets loose to see if they got the rattles under control.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

My buddies Corvette rattled after a couple of months. It's a several years old now and it feels like the doors are going to come off. But the ride is still a lot of fun. But I won't own one.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Interior rattling, engine failures at 60k miles, transmission failures every 20k miles. Fluid leaks every month, paint peeling on a two year old car. Welcome to the world of GM products. Too bad the government bailed them out. Would have loved to see GM fold like a piece of paper.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
The Caddy CTS-V blows the doors of the Jag. It's faster in a straight line and has better handling than the Jag. What it lacks is that nth degree of refinement compared to the RS6 and E63, and styling that tops the best in class Jaguar. Since we are in the "Fin de siècle" for super sedans (like the end of muscle cars in the 70's) we may never enjoy cars like this again in our lifetimes. If you can grab anyone of the players (RS6, M5, XFR, E63, CLS63) you will have the drive of your life. Savor...
I agree. Nice Porsche btw. I used to have a 1967 911S. Pain in the butt to keep the 6 webers in tune though....

Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I used to buy nothing but american made auto's. Kept each of them in top notch shape with low miles. Things would died at the 4 year mark, no matter how low the miles or how great the care. Prior to me buying my infinti M45, I had a 1989 Grandprix supercharged GTU with the works. I love the car because it was very unique.. The dealer sent out to the pontiac race branch and they added the upgraded GTX package. This included a smaler pulley on the SC, 17 Inch wheels from the 16 inch, Borla Exhaust, Ram air intake with hood, and upgraded spoiler with new badges.
At 2 year and 18k miles, the wiring harness went bad. At 3 years and 28K mile, The fuel system died, Both tank and pump. 2 days before the warrenty was up with only 44k miles, the computer system crash with no appearent reason. Dealer and tech's never did figure out what happen. I sold it shortly there after with only 46k miles since the warrenty ran out. The way things where going, I knew the engine was nexts, it would misfire after the dealer changed the plugs twice and I put the best gas around in it. This issue was never really resolved.
Situation like this is what made me leave American made cars alone, along with the fact that they never held any value after a few years.
When I was shopping for a replacement for my 06 infinti M45, I did have the caddy CTS-V on the list next to MB AMG, BMW "M", Audi. None fit the mark that I had like the Jag for the money. Plus the Jag has always had a look of its owe. IMHO.