XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR-S: 2 issues, gas pump nozzle and transmission shifter light

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XFR-S: 2 issues, gas pump nozzle and transmission shifter light

So I've had this XFR-S for a week now and 2 things are really bothering me. The first is a nuisance, which is that I can't put a gas pump nozzle in it and just fill it without having the nurse the entire process because the nozzle keeps clicking off. I have gone to half a dozen gas stations and it is the same story at every one. Turn the nozzle different directions, feather the flow rate, etc. and nothing seems to work. Suggestions?

The second issue is more serious. With some regularity I will find myself at a stoplight or momentary stop and the car thinks it is in neutral. The shifter light on the console is blinking and it happens with no apparent pattern, regardless of whether in D or S. The "fix" is to rotate the shifter into neutral and then back into D or S.

Obviously both of these issues are warranty matters but if at all possible I would like to get info on what others have experienced as the transmission issue is not reproduce-able on demand and I don't want to drive all the way to San Jose Jaguar to be told "gee didn't happen to us".

Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Both these issues popped up early in the XF production and were supposedly fixed.

The fuel full issue affected mainly UK cars. The transmission gear selector affected all 2009 cars eventually and all were repaired under warranty.

It is distressing to hear these problems may be back on the top line XF.

The XFR S uses a new design of rear subframe so possibly may have a different shaped fuel tank.

The following users liked this post:
jeff3545 (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default concerns over transmission issues on 2009 XF

I am brand new to this site, We are seriously considering purchasing either an XF Luxury or the XF Super Charged model.

We have been reading lots of reviews, especially Consumer Reports, see overwhelming issues with the car getting stuck in gear, or stuck in park and that it was to be fixed under recall, yet people continue to complain that it didn't work and still had issues.. so many negative reviews, actually see this car listed by Consumer Reports as a car NOT to buy.

does anyone know if the 2009 vehicles finally had the issues fixed for good?
the car we are looking at was a lease return with 66K Miles, so I'm hoping it was fixed early on and no longer has the problems..
also saw lots of complaints of electrical issues.. battery being drained and car audio problems.

got me afraid to buy the car, but I'm so in love with it!

would so appreciate the help.

Thank you...
(about to be a former Mercedes 320 Clk owner)

Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a 2010 XFR with 80,000 miles on it. I have flawlessly maintained the car and really had no serious problems with it except for having to tighten the sunroof and headliner due to squeaks (totally fixed now - but sunroof needs periodic silicon on the seals because they're noisy). The only problem came at 60,000 miles wherein I had to replace the water pump. Unfortunately, this is a very common Supercharged 5.0 liter problem. Typically, this should happen at 120,000 miles, but, due to the stress and heat of the supercharged motor, it is happening frequently at earlier mileage. Just budget $1200 for the repair and replacement of the water pump, and then you'll be fine.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

My 2009 only experienced both types of transmission selector failure and a ghost check engine light. Both problems were permanently fixed. I am now on my second XF, best car ever.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Thank you for the replies. My husband keeps telling me that these kind of problems most likely have been addressed by the previous owner, car is a 2009 FX SuperCharger, and with 70K miles, mint condition, flawless car fax, lease return,
he believes that these issues if they did occur are all taken car of and we should not experience these issues, maybe some others, but not these.. I'm just concerned.

Why does everyone tell me "don't buy a Jag!" "you and your MECHANIC own your Jag"
or "they are KNOWN for being unreliable" recent, Consumer Reports magazine lists this car as one "Not to Buy".

??? Hate going against the "advice" of others/experts...

Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

How I know your anxiety! When I was looking for a really nice ride I asked the advice of a retired Jaguar technician and he said don't buy the Jag but go find a Porsche. Well like you I was in love with the Jag XF. I purchased an 09 XF Supercharged a year and a half ago and only had the rotary gear replaced under warranty......so far no real problems. I bought it with 25K miles on it and with a Jag Certified extended warranty. It is true that because of all of the negative past media coverage and people just afraid to comment on the car because of how they secretly feel or think about the car, I initially get into the car each day and think ,"what might go wrong today?" .....and then I drive it and say to myself "wow...this damn thing feels like it is just an extension of "me" and drives like hell and handles so well that it is scary. When you have lived as long as I have, you eventually say, "what the hell" ...life is too short. Having said that....you have to live with yourself and your decisions.....after all, it is just a car !

As a side note.....I walked up to a new Tesla (S) in a parking lot with other cars on both sides (eeeh God) ..gloss black with a camel interior. This is without a doubt, the most beautiful automobile I have ever laid eyes on. The leather interior was gorgeous....gorgeous ! The lcd screen was as big as my wifes laptop. The lines (XF similarity) were poetic and fluid. This was dream come true.

Last edited by chuckh007; 09-02-2013 at 12:21 PM.
NascarMom88 (09-05-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same issue in my MY2012 xf portfolio.
It's annoying to have to nurse the gas filling process.
Moreover once you get it to full up. You really have to nurse the remaining but of gas into the tank. Else you are left with a sliver below full. I don't think this is a warranty issue is it?
I pull the nozzle out of the tank a bit and sometimes that helps.
The main thing that works is not going 100% on the gas trigger. Here in Canada (don't know where you are from) 90% of the gas stations don't have that clip that holds the pump on open. So you have to stand there to pump your gas. Try filling at like 75%.
Hope that helps?

Haven't experienced the tranny problems.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 PM

"Why does everyone tell me "don't buy a Jag!""

It is a truism.... The more it is said the more true it becomes regardless of the facts. Funny thing is, most of the people offering this helpful advice have no actual experience with the issue at hand. I have owned a lot vehicles and by far the least reliable and most likely to visit the dealer was a Volvo... But no one ever says that about Volvo, only that they are "so safe" even tho they really are no better or worse in that category than any other top ranked sedan or SUV. Truisms.

Originally Posted by NascarMom88
Thank you for the replies. My husband keeps telling me that these kind of problems most likely have been addressed by the previous owner, car is a 2009 FX SuperCharger, and with 70K miles, mint condition, flawless car fax, lease return,
he believes that these issues if they did occur are all taken car of and we should not experience these issues, maybe some others, but not these.. I'm just concerned.

Why does everyone tell me "don't buy a Jag!" "you and your MECHANIC own your Jag"
or "they are KNOWN for being unreliable" recent, Consumer Reports magazine lists this car as one "Not to Buy".

??? Hate going against the "advice" of others/experts...

NascarMom88 (09-05-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi - I purchased my 2009 XF Supercharged a year ago with 29,000 miles and CPO. I have since put 10,000 miles on it and, other than getting the gear shifter replaced under warranty, it has not needed anything other than scheduled maintenance. I have enjoyed this vehicle immensely, the drivetrain is magnificent and the supercharged engine is a rush. You should not be disappointed!

(This was a reply to post by Nascarmom88)

Last edited by CountryCat; 09-02-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: To put my post in context
NascarMom88 (09-05-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a CPO 2010 XF and have the gear shifter issue currently. When I back out of my driveway and go from R to D it flashes and acts as in Neutral. Just a nuisance.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Jaguar is a different company than it was back then. New owners. A new vision. If memory serves, its currently ranked #2 in quality behind only Lexus.

I had the fuel filling issues with my car. I told the dealer and they replaced the entire tank and filler neck under warranty. Its a known issue. Any dealer telling you otherwise is lying.

Only other issue I had with my car was the fuel sender unit, which was replaced at the same time as the tank, again.. under warranty.

NascarMom88 (09-05-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm on my 2nd Jaguar and I must admit that since my first 2010 XF and now with my 2013, The company has come along way. I was lucky with my first XF, For the most part she never let me down. I did have ghost in the system that would set off false low battery warning but nothing that made me worry. I think must auto makers have problems with any new design car until they work out the bugs. Look at report problems over the years, I have notice that alot of the pain in the butt problems are on a decline. With anything else.. Follow your Heart and get what you want.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 PM

My path to a Jaguar was through 2 Range Rover Sports, the first was pre-Tata and was a good vehicle but suffered from a frustrating array of *hit that just shouldn't happen like trim pieces popping off, an entertainment system that failed more than worked, and random error messages... surprisingly it was reliable and I never had a mechanical issue that left me stranded.

Second Range Rover Sport is from the Tata era and features remarkably improved interior quality, solid build, and remarkably fun to drive with the supercharged 5.0 liter and suspension/steering that made the 6k lb. SUV feel like a mid-sized luxury performance car. I read about the XFR-S and the F-Type and it was clear that "car guys" are running Jaguar now and Tata is more than just a bankroll, so for the first time in decades I don't have anything German in my driveway (American yes, muscle cars and pickup trucks will always be American badged!).

I am happy so far, despite a couple of issues. My first visit with the dealer will be on Friday and that will be a milestone because I did not buy just a car from them, I want a superior customer experience.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Range Rover is built in a different factory. Quality on Jaguar is much higher than on any Land Rover product.

Work is being done to improve Land Rover quality including adopting Jaguar build methods in aluminum.

This is promising since the new baby Jag is likely to be built alongside the Evoque/Freelander replacement due soon.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Jaguar reliability is no worse than BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. The problem comes from 30 years of building junk at high prices during the 70's, 80's, and 90's. That's an entire generation that was brought up thinking that Jaguars are crap. why do you think Jag's demographic, until recently, was virtually elderly. Because...only people over 65 remember Jaguar's prominence.

It takes a long time to purge such negative perception. Yet, I think they are doing a good job at changing perceptions slowly by building quality cars, with beautiful cutting edge designs, and with bonafide performance.

Still, there are things to work on....

Jaguar has to pin down the branding of their Performance line. Is it "S", "R", "R-S"...it may sound silly, but it matters. There is only 1 BMW M ...only 1 AMG....yeah, they now have "M-Sport" options....and AMG has Black Series....but both M and AMG are the core, and very established. Jaguar should call their performance brand "R Performance Division"....They should badge the high performance models "R" ...that's it. And on very limited edition versions that are SUBSTANTIALLY different...call them "R-S". Example: There should be an XKR, and the true version of the XKR-S should have been what wound up being the XKR-S GT. The XKR-S that was actually produced was too incremental ...not enough for the price premium. Stop with changing the ECU programming, putting gaudy ground effects, adding some carbon fiber here and there, and stiffening the suspension a bit, and then trying to pass it off as a huge upgrade. It's not...the numbers prove it. The R-S models should be ***** out super cars....configurable dynamic mode, smaller supercharger pulley with ECU, adjustable sport exhaust, significant but tasteful body modifications. It should be like AMG Black Series. Dump the "S" moniker, and please, please stop changing the logos....it's about branding!!!

Let's boost the tech...It's sad that the new Chrysler infotainment system puts the Jaguar/Land Rover system to shame....actually, it's better than the Germans too. We don't have head's up display, night vision, fully adaptive cruise control, or other driver assists that cars in this range should have...

I'm convinced that Jaguar can be a top tier brand...it's a completely different company than 10 years ago, and the next 10 years looks bright...but it needs to focus on its efforts....and please, please nothing that resembles the BMW 550GT or Mercedes R class should ever ever be built.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Having both brands in my driveway right now, I would disagree. Land Rover quality is on par with Jaguar when it comes to fit-and-finish, interior material quality, and as far as I can tell, on mechanicals (I have not had the Jaguar long enough to determine mechanical quality but the fact that there were 2 issues on day 1 isn't a positive statement).

Jaguar's investment in aluminum is a good strategy and the fact that a XJ has a lower curb weight than the XFR-S indicates that this is much needed (even the E63, never accused of being svelte, is 300 lbs. lighter). The new RR Sport is 900 lbs. lighter than the generation it replaced... like I said, Tata deserves credit for letting car guys run the company rather than accountants and MBAs, which was the case under Ford.

My Range Rover Sport ATB has impressed me so much that I am buying a 2014 model to replace it.

Originally Posted by jagular
Range Rover is built in a different factory. Quality on Jaguar is much higher than on any Land Rover product.

Work is being done to improve Land Rover quality including adopting Jaguar build methods in aluminum.

This is promising since the new baby Jag is likely to be built alongside the Evoque/Freelander replacement due soon.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

XFactor,

Everything that you stated is spot on.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 PM

Well, I did It!! I'm the very PROUD owner of a 2009 Jaguar XF Luxury Premium
Vapor Grey ( I think, can't keep track of the name of the gray color... Its the Pewter-ish one) I really Like it a lot. It has the back up camera, and the blind spot monitors in the mirrors both a big help to me.. my car is pretty much loaded, not sure anything it doesn't have, except the supercharger..
I have had it a day and a half so far. so can't say too much, but I really love it.

I want to do two things to it, 1) upgrade (if possible) the headlights to the ones that are on the newer model cars, including the 2012 XF, the daytime running lights, that cool rope like light that the newer cars have. I think my car is dated by not having these on it.

I also want to find some very pretty, flashy, chrome rims. 19's... I like ones that look the most "feminine" as possible... I want my car to look like a ladies car.. very classy, not cheezy, but not Masculine.. not sure if that's possible.

I am having a hard time, because I was set on getting a beautiful red or white Mercedes E350 convertible. (I just traded in my '03 Mercedes 320 CLK convertible) so my heart is a bit sad not having my pretty lady car... But, my husband is sure that this Jaguar is going to make me forget all about those other options!!!

I am planning already to upgrade this one in a few years for a brand new... 2016 Jaguar convertible!!! (as soon as my youngest son finally is on his own and no longer is in need of a constant "chauffer") In the meantime I will drive in style in my XF..

any suggestions for after market goodies to increase my class and style is so welcome!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

New headlight shape won't fit unless you also change the hood.

Quick Reply: XFR-S: 2 issues, gas pump nozzle and transmission shifter light