XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR-S High Flow CATS

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018 | 02:50 PM
|
Default XFR-S High Flow CATS

So the search for more power continues...
Since I did my last round of modifications to the XFR-S:And since them I have done some more goodies, I have been working with Velocity AP, and getting my tune worked out, as I had felt that support from my previous tuner (RICA), had become unreliable, and I was starting to head into some uncharted territory (at least when it comes to the XFR-S). And so far Chris and Stuart have stepped up and delivered, its easy to see why these guys have such a great reputation!!!

Probably the last bit of modifications was done yesterday, and that involved a set of Custom high flow CATS, see below pics:

So far driving impressions are amazing!!!

Sound is a bit louder, and meaner, but more importantly the performance. It feels like its pulling harder than its ever pulled before.

If the weather cooperates, another set of 1/4 mile runs are expected and then one final dyno to see where we came in at.

I have already dyno'd post the quicksilver exhaust, and for the record I lost low end torque, and gained top end power. I expect this latest change (high flow cats) would have a similar result, sacrifice a little low end torque, but gain top end HP.

Time will tell, plan is to head to track next week, and possibly do the dyno the week after, I'll update as I make more progress

The following 2 users liked this post by H.Jones:
Adam J (09-24-2018), Panthro (09-23-2018)
Old 09-28-2018 | 03:26 PM

whoever you are using is employing a pretty decent welder

Old 09-28-2018 | 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Very nice. Wish i could do the exhaust on my car....just not enough jingle in the pockets yet...maybe next year after the holidays

Old 09-30-2018 | 01:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by Kaeghl
whoever you are using is employing a pretty decent welder
I have been going to this shop for 10+ years for anything performance related, and even though ownership has changed, and mechanics, and welders have come and gone, I have always maintained a phenomenal relationship with the shop. To the point I am invited to go back as they are working on my car and observe for myself what is going on (which now a days is almost unheard of). For this particular modification I was busy at work, and simply instructed the owner to take one or two photos of the end product, for my own personal documentation process, and they supplied the above photos. The shop has very high standards, and you can see them working on anything from Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches to VW's, older Hondas, or domestic cars. They are extremely humble to. First thing I said when I saw the photos, was very nice welding, and owner looked at me like "did you expect anything else".

Originally Posted by scottjh9
Very nice. Wish i could do the exhaust on my car....just not enough jingle in the pockets yet...maybe next year after the holidays
I would say to take it one step at a time, so that its not too overwhelming (cost wise, and noise/ loudness wise). I did the cat back exhaust, few options out there (Velocity, Mina, Quicksilver, Spires, or something custom...), and initially I thought it was too loud, and might have upset the balance of the car that it could be civilized when it wanted to be, and a hooligan when it needed to be, and eventually I acclimated to the noise, and as I persued better performance, I eventually conceded that I will need to upgrade to high flow catalysts, and here we are. It is subtly louder, and very noticeable on cold start up, but as things warm up, it is really quite pleasant, and it sounds like a real Jaguar.

Unfortunately weather has gotten really cold, and I definitely will not be able to go to the track (till next spring/ summer), I had my fingers crossed that I could go this Saturday or Sunday, but both events were cancelled due to inclement weather conditions.

The only thing I will try to do before the car is put away for winter storage, is perhaps do a final dyno pull. I will aim to go on Friday, seems to be the only decent day next week (October 5th), will provide updates if it goes through

Old 10-01-2018 | 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by H.Jones
I have been going to this shop for 10+ years for anything performance related, and even though ownership has changed, and mechanics, and welders have come and gone, I have always maintained a phenomenal relationship with the shop. To the point I am invited to go back as they are working on my car and observe for myself what is going on (which now a days is almost unheard of). For this particular modification I was busy at work, and simply instructed the owner to take one or two photos of the end product, for my own personal documentation process, and they supplied the above photos. The shop has very high standards, and you can see them working on anything from Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches to VW's, older Hondas, or domestic cars. They are extremely humble to. First thing I said when I saw the photos, was very nice welding, and owner looked at me like "did you expect anything else".

I would say to take it one step at a time, so that its not too overwhelming (cost wise, and noise/ loudness wise). I did the cat back exhaust, few options out there (Velocity, Mina, Quicksilver, Spires, or something custom...), and initially I thought it was too loud, and might have upset the balance of the car that it could be civilized when it wanted to be, and a hooligan when it needed to be, and eventually I acclimated to the noise, and as I persued better performance, I eventually conceded that I will need to upgrade to high flow catalysts, and here we are. It is subtly louder, and very noticeable on cold start up, but as things warm up, it is really quite pleasant, and it sounds like a real Jaguar.

Unfortunately weather has gotten really cold, and I definitely will not be able to go to the track (till next spring/ summer), I had my fingers crossed that I could go this Saturday or Sunday, but both events were cancelled due to inclement weather conditions.

The only thing I will try to do before the car is put away for winter storage, is perhaps do a final dyno pull. I will aim to go on Friday, seems to be the only decent day next week (October 5th), will provide updates if it goes through
That install looks great. What model cats are they? 300 cell, 3”?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 10-02-2018 | 12:04 PM
|

Originally Posted by S-Typer

That install looks great. What model cats are they? 300 cell, 3”?

Thanks,
Joe
Hello Joe,

They are Vibrant 7525 (300cell, 2.5" inlet and outlet, with a 4" overall body diameter, and 7" total body length), see link: Vibrant 7525

I have used Vibrant products for different applications, in the past, and they make top notch products.

The following 2 users liked this post by H.Jones:
Kaeghl (10-04-2018), S-Typer (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018 | 11:00 AM

Hello Joe,

They are Vibrant 7525 (300cell, 2.5" inlet and outlet, with a 4" overall body diameter, and 7" total body length), see link: Vibrant 7525

I have used Vibrant products for different applications, in the past, and they make top notch products.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into Vibrant.

Joe

Old 10-18-2018 | 11:33 PM
|
Default Update

So I provided an update a couple weeks ago with my new personal best 1/4 mile times: 11.95 @ 119.65mph (at a track that is at 2200 ft elevation), you can go to the relevant link in the first post.

Well today I got the car Dyno’d in its current state, and I am very happy with the results... 589.8whp & 581lb-ft (at the Wheels). I will update with Dyno plots when I get them emailed to me from the shop.

Old 10-29-2018 | 08:02 PM
|

So I provided an update a couple weeks ago with my new personal best 1/4 mile times: 11.95 @ 119.65mph (at a track that is at 2200 ft elevation), you can go to the relevant link in the first post.

Well today I got the car Dyno’d in its current state, and I am very happy with the results... 589.8whp & 581lb-ft (at the Wheels). I will update with Dyno plots when I get them emailed to me from the shop.
Dyno Plots added in this thread: Updated Dyno Runs