XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR-S, only 3 years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XFR-S, only 3 years?

In the process of buying XFR-S, currently have XFR.
Why did Jag only make them 3 years?
Will they make any more or is V-8 gone for good in XF?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

It's anyone's guess whether they will make any new XF's with the supercharged V-8, but I'm not hopeful. They are making the Project 8, which is a limited production version of the XE with that engine, so possible.

It took them a while to get to the XFR-S and then they changed the body style and it was over.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I recently posted on why my next vehicle is not going to be a Jaguar; one of the main reasons is that Jaguar has not released V8 versions of any current sedan or of the F-Pace.

I went through the same progression as you: I had an XFR and for the last 4 years I've had an XFR-S.

My guess is that Jaguar doesn't have the R&D $ to develop V8 models, or can't justify the expenditure of said $ based on insufficient market demand. Maybe they'll prove me wrong and release the V8's, but it will be too late for me.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

The JLR supercharged V6 and V8 engines are built by Ford under an arrangement which is due to run out soon and which is very unlikely to be renewed. JLR have also invested $billions in the new Ingenium range of engines. So putting 2 and 2 together the AJ133 supercharged V8 is not much longer for this world, and who knows if it will ever be replaced with an Ingenium petrol V8 (which would be 4.0 litres and probably twin turbo).

Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

+1 OzXFR

JLR has poured a lot of R&D and $ into the Ingenium Engine line. Surprisingly enough, the new LR's aren't getting the V8 either, even introducint a twin turbo 4 Cylinder for the all new Discovery ( Discovery 5 as I call it ).

However I did read from the Jaguar Forum earlier this year about reintroducing the Inline 6 engines, petrol and diesel version, twin turbo. I haven't heard whether this has been cancelled though, but I would be interested to see this happen, as the inline 6 was one of the best engines Jaguar has had ( AJ6 and AJ16 ) in my opinion.

It would be nice to still have the 5.0L in production, cant replace the sound or the fact that its a V8.....

Old 08-11-2017, 02:00 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The v8 doesn't have long to live. It's replacement will be a straight 6. Aj16 was a stong engine but i much preferred the XK. That engine is motoring art.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by glenno
The v8 doesn't have long to live. It's replacement will be a straight 6.
That's very interesting. BMW seems to be the only manufacturer sticking with this configuration at the moment; I had always thought that these engines were falling out of favour due to their shape/size and resultant 'packaging' challenges. Mind you, they have always been nice engines, smooth and with a pleasant sound. Do you know if they are planning to go to turbocharging instead of supercharging?

Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by sybarite
That's very interesting. BMW seems to be the only manufacturer sticking with this configuration at the moment; I had always thought that these engines were falling out of favour due to their shape/size and resultant 'packaging' challenges. Mind you, they have always been nice engines, smooth and with a pleasant sound. Do you know if they are planning to go to turbocharging instead of supercharging?
All indications are they will go with turbocharging as they are already making turbo I4 Ingenium engines both petrol & diesel with no hint of any supercharged versions.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkchopcash
I followed same progression, as many others have.

I had a 2012 XFR and then onto my 2015 XFRS, all I can say is I will not be moving onto something else for quite some time (5+ Years, assuming she stays as reliable as she has been), and when I do move on I hope Jaguar has figured something out, as their current interiors and engine line up (for current XE, XF and F-Pace) won't cut it.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:03 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have just read in the latest Jaguar Magazine (Edition 187) on page 11, that SVO have tabled plans to build V8 versions of the XF Saloon (Sedan), Sportbrake (Wagon) and even a V8 F-Pace.

So, don't loose heart just yet, although I do not think the tune will be in the same state as the Project 8 XE SVR, nonetheless, they would be great cars to own if they get the interior materials finish and quality right.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

I read about a year ago that Jag and LR will be sourcing BMW TT V8's as AJ replacements.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
I read about a year ago that Jag and LR will be sourcing BMW TT V8's as AJ replacements.
I read that as well. Haven't seen anything since then though.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:59 PM

Hmmm. The issue with a lot of turbos is the noise, or lack thereof. Hopefully the Jaguar growl won't be replaced by a turbocharged fart, a la AMG. And if they use the BMW M V8 with the 'hot-vee' turbo, it'll sound like a four cylinder. Oh wait... I'm getting one of those

Old 08-18-2017, 12:01 AM

How was progression from XFR to XFR-S?
Did it feel like a step up?
What did you notice different??

Old 08-18-2017, 11:52 AM

They feel like surprisingly different cars.

The biggest changes are to the transmission and handling.

The ZF 8 speed auto is leagues ahead of the 6 speed in the XFR: much quicker shifts up and down, and rev matching. Although the RS has more power, I suspect that much of the seat of the pants improvement in acceleration is due to the transmission as opposed to the relatively small power increase.

The RS handles much better; it has better body control over bumps, turns in more quickly and settles into a corner much more quickly and calmly. It also resists oversteer better on corner exit. The ride is slightly harsher and the wheels still feel too heavy (as they did in the R) but the better body control actually makes me feel more comfortable).

The noise is totally different as well, due to the X pipe.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:04 PM

That is a lot of what I suspected.
I love my XFR, (black on black) and hate to get rid of it.
But it has 60,000 miles and showing it's age.
The transmission is what sold me on XFR-S. Even with tune, never satisfied completely with how XFR shifted.
Will be curious to see how noise is different. I added a custom X pipe and Mina boxes to my XFR and it sounds like a beast. Not sure XFR-S could sound that much better than mine does already.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 PM

Best way of describing it is like an F Type R with the volume turned down. It is quite subdued in the cabin, much better with the windows open or listening from outside, but for me that is perfect for a daily driver sedan.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:03 PM

Wow, got home from trip today and they had delivered my XFR-S.
Took it for short drive, what a beast.
Total beast and significant difference in steering feel and handling than even XFR.
Still would like it a little louder, guess I could switch Mina boxes over to it.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Wow, got home from trip today and they had delivered my XFR-S.
Took it for short drive, what a beast.
Total beast and significant difference in steering feel and handling than even XFR.
Still would like it a little louder, guess I could switch Mina boxes over to it.
Where are the pictures???

Old 08-26-2017, 05:51 AM