XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR-S .... worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default XFR-S .... worth it??

I've been reading everything that I can about the XFR-S, and honestly, I am a little disappointed by it. If you really break it down, it is an extra $17,000 for an ECU flash, and a more fortified suspension. Add to it, the ground effects, and that's what they're selling you.

I also think that the color of the XFR-S interior is really disappointing. It's essentially black, and you could just choose a different color stitching. I think it's lame, especially when you compare the different color combinations that you can get with the XFR.

Certainly, if you love XFR, you would be crazy not to love the XFR-S. But, I'm starting this thread to ask everybody if you really think it's worth it?

In my opinion, I just think that it is a cynical way to make more money, and it really doesn't go far enough.

XFR-S should have had the active exhaust from the F type, as well as the configurable dynamic mode. That would have set it apart from the XFR in a big way, especially when you add it with the other improvements.

I have a 2010 at XFR with the Mina exhaust. It sounds mean, has great performance, and also has the adaptive cruise control which came standard. My car is lunar gray with the red zone interior which really looks unique and special. If I did the ECU tuning flash, and got a smaller supercharger pulley, then I would exceed the XFR-S performance, as well.

There really is nothing about the XFR-S that makes me want to upgrade, and even if I wanted to upgrade, I would probably just get a regular 2013 XFR.

Am I the only one who sees it like this?

Last edited by XFactoR; 08-17-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm pretty sure it has the active exhaust and dynamic mode, maybe not exactly like the F-type...but for what the car is for I'm sure its plenty.

I copy and pasted a little article below. Sounds like its a lot more than just ECU, suspension, and ground effects. Also its limited production, so it has more wow factor on the road and should always carry a premium over an XFR with similar age/mileage.

Different strokes for different folks....buy what makes you happy! If you can get the same interior as the XKR-S, personally I have the London Tan and I much prefer it to the Grey carbon-look interior.

"The interior also offers the same choices as the XKR-S. It includes a selection of carbon leather on the seat bolsters and armrests, and a dark mesh aluminum fascia. An exclusive feature for the R-S model is the Warm Charcoal leather trim on the seats, doors, seat bolsters and armrests. An R-S logo has been embossed on the seats and it can be finished with a choice of contrast color micro-piping and stitching in red, blue or ivory.

THE XFR-S will also be offered with a standard 825-watt, 18-speaker surround-sound system from British audio experts Meridian.

The 2014 Jaguar XFR-S borrowed the exterior design elements from the XKR-S to distinguish it from the standard XFR. Carbon fiber played an important role in developing the aerodynamic package and it is used on the deeper front bumper with its larger lower-central and side air intakes, and the front splitter at the lower edge of the bumper. On the backside, the same material has been used for the central diffuser and the large rear wing.

The exterior package also includes extended side sills and aero blade, side moldings, an extended rear bumper, and a new spoiler that reduces rear lift.

Customers can choose between five exterior colors: French Racing Blue, Ultimate Black, Stratus Gray, Polaris White and Italian Racing Red. All of them will be combined with a gloss-black trim around the grille, around the front and rear screens, windows and across the trunk. The XFR-S will be offered with lightweight Varuna forged alloy wheels featuring a ceramic polish applied to the outer surfaces.

2014 Jaguar XFR-S Engine

Under the hood, Jaguar has installed the same engine you will find in the XKR-S: a 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 unit that delivers a total of 550 horsepower and 502 pound-feet of torque. That’s good for an increase of 40 horsepower and 41 pound-feet of torque over the XFR. With the extra power the XFR-S will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds and up to a top speed of 186 mph (electronically limited).

In order to obtain the extra power, the engineers needed to make revisions to the engine management system along with improvements to the intake and exhaust flow. The exhaust system replaces the central muffler with an X-pipe and near-straight-through rear pipes. Other changes include uprated half-shafts, a larger central bearing on the driveshaft, and a new torque converter.

The engine is mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission with Quickshift technology. It can be operated in manual, Sport or Automatic modes. While running in the first two modes it automatically blips the throttle to ensure the XFR-S accelerates smoothly out of corners. In automatic mode, it can detect the manner in which the car is being driven by monitoring acceleration and braking, cornering forces, throttle and brake pedal activity, road load and kick-down request. From there, the transmission makes adjustments on the fly."

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 08-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Am I the only one who sees it like this?
NO, Your not alone.. I've recently been asking the same question. I have a 2013 XFR and I love it. What really sets it apart from the XFR-S?.. A little programing which I can get and some added body molding.. Is it worth that almight $$. I guess it is if you want the Badge that goes along with it. That been said, I can understand the allure. When I was shopping for my first XF, The salesman I had, convinced me that the XFR really wasn't worth the extra $$$. He believed the the SC was just as good as the "R" without the extra molding and badge. I went with what he said and bought a XFSC. Now that I'm a proud owner of a "R", I can honestly say he was wrong. I guess it comes down to what you want and what your willing to spend to get there. I also didn't know about this forum at the time as well as the merchants that offer performance parts for us.
If I did know what I learned from this forum and some the well educated member here, I'd probable would have bought a XFR-s and sold the wife and kids to pay for it... LOL...

Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
I'm pretty sure it has the active exhaust and dynamic mode, maybe not exactly like the F-type...but for what the car is for I'm sure its plenty.

I copy and pasted a little article below. Sounds like its a lot more than just ECU, suspension, and ground effects. Also its limited production, so it has more wow factor on the road and should always carry a premium over an XFR with similar age/mileage.

Different strokes for different folks....buy what makes you happy! If you can get the same interior as the XKR-S, personally I have the London Tan and I much prefer it to the Grey carbon-look interior.

."

Boy! Matt, you really did your homework.. Hummmmm! makes me reconsider selling the wife and kids.. In all Honesty, Your right! different strokes for different folks. That what makes the world go around. I still bet people like Bigcat could bust a XFR-s in the butt when it came down to performance.. Just my 2 cents..

Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The XFR S uses the new stiffer subframes, new stiffer front uprights and a host of detail changes.

Of course it isn't worth the markup. It's a limited run halo model.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Redjaguar100
When I was shopping for my first XF, The salesman I had, convinced me that the XFR really wasn't worth the extra $$$. He believed the the SC was just as good as the "R" without the extra molding and badge. I went with what he said and bought a XFSC. Now that I'm a proud owner of a "R", I can honestly say he was wrong.
I think you have to remember your XFSC was a 2010 model and your XFR is the newer model. I drove both 2012 cars and couldn't tell the difference from behind the wheel.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
I think you have to remember your XFSC was a 2010 model and your XFR is the newer model. I drove both 2012 cars and couldn't tell the difference from behind the wheel.

Yup.. you have a very good point to a degree.. I wasn't just referring to the car itself but the pride that have owning a "R" because thats what I really wanted from the beginning. It was one of those things when you say to yourself, "I should have followed my first choice", thats all.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The following users liked this post:
Redjaguar100 (02-09-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think performance is the argument for the XFR-S. Honestly, if you want max performance in this class you are likely going to wind up with an M5 or E63.

Really, I'm not sure there is any pragmatic "argument" for the XFR-S

In the main I think most folks buying an XFR-S are doing so because they want something rare/limited edition, which has its plus's and minus's. Additionally, the additional body work on the R-S makes for an absolutely stunning vehicle. That said, aesthetics are a lot of personal taste so I think when you're comparing a bunch of great looking cars like the XFR, XFR-S, M6, etc . . . its really just a personal thing.

For me, the XFR-S has a level of road presence that surpasses other considerations. Plus, its an absolute pleasure to drive.

The following users liked this post:
aliensporez (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Honestly I'm in the camp of the XFR-S not really being worth the significant mark-up. For example, you could take and XFR, add a Mina exhaust ($800), resonator delete + x-pipe ($300), a pulley ($300), drop-in filters ($90) and have a car that can keep up with an XFR-S. Throw in a tune and you'll probably out-run it in a drag race. Add some Eibach springs and the curves are no problem now either... and your total investment is under $2000. Significantly less than the $17K mark-up.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

The same thing could be said for the R over the XF supercharged. You are paying for the exclusivity and for the factory performance and warranty.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I think the R is the sweet spot. To me the SC is still a bit tame on the body work side to really grab attention and it lacks the upgraded seats on the older models. It's easy to get to the R-S level performance wise from either of the lower models for under $4K and I don't think that the visual additions warrant the $17K premium. That being said, I wouldn't be a buyer for any model new unless there were significant incentives given. There are far too many great quality used models that sell for a considerable discount from the new price. Now if I was looking and could get an R-S in the used market for $5-6K more than an appropriately priced R, I might be more interested :-)

Old 05-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

You guys making the comparisons are leaving out consideration of the 8 speed gearbox, aren't you?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I haven't driven an R-S but I'm not sure how an 8 speed gearbox will help the performance of a car with the type of torque an R with a good tune and/or pulley has. It will help fuel economy, but shifts always cost time, unless you are trying to keep an underpowered or car with a small powerband on the power.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

From what I've read on this forum, it seems that cars who have been tuned for increased horsepower and torque can't get it to the wheels. Do the Half shaft, axle and torque coverter upgrade in th e R-S overcome this problem?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I haven't driven an R-S but I'm not sure how an 8 speed gearbox will help the performance of a car with the type of torque an R with a good tune and/or pulley has. It will help fuel economy, but shifts always cost time, unless you are trying to keep an underpowered or car with a small powerband on the power.
Well, that may just be the magic that gives the S the higher HP- It might have a smaller powerband. There are plenty of platitudes about torque, but you can't change or ignore physics. HP= Torque * Speed.

And, at least in my XFR in the "S" mode, very little time is wasted in shifts.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Worth it? Maybe not....

I say just wait and buy one used in a year or two if the issue is the $17K difference over the R which it sounds like it is. I'm not sure what the rate of depreciation will be for a low mileage R-S but you may still be disappointed in the cost since it is only a limited amount made. Don't forget about the depreciation suffered in your current vehicle as well.