XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR Seat Bolstering

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XFR Seat Bolstering

I am 6'2" and weigh about 195lbs. The only thing which I don't really love about my '11 XFR is the bolstering on the bottom seat. The bolstering on my back I have gotten "just right" for me but I notice my left butt cheek and left upper leg are relatively uncomfortable with the bolstering which seems to jab into me some. My right side seems okay. I kind of expected the seats to be firm and sporty but would like a little less discomfort on my right hip area. Any suggestions?

Darin

Edit: Though I searched the forum on this I came up empty until I searched via Google and found this: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...bolster-66125/ Any other thoughts or suggestions on this are still appreciated.

Last edited by dsmith; 10-10-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Found a link
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you experimented with the tilt? When I first got into my car, the bolsters were uncomfortable as well. I adjusted the seat pan tilt nose down, and now it is just right. In fact, drove my wife's SUV last night and lack of the bolster was now very annoying!

Cheers,

- Will

Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 AM

I had not done that until this morning after reading a little from the posts in the link I found. It did seem to help a lot. I also increased my lumbar support and tightened the side bolster slightly to help me still feel like I wasn't sliding forward.

Also helpful was extending the seat bottom all the way out, putting my seat back (more leg room) a little more and extending the steering column out all the way. This allowed me to straighten my legs out which also reduced the pressure point. All-in-all I was MUCH more comfy on the way to work this morning.

Darin

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Driving position for street use is determined by pedal position. You want to have your right knee bent when the brake pedal is as close to the floor as possible (maximum force applied). I check this in a new to me car by placing my foot under the brake pedal and ensuring my leg can still exert full pressure.

Then, with power steering, steering wheel position is not as important as some high performance instructors appear to believe. Generally, best control of steering is given when your hands are at 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 as you prefer. Then move your hands to crossed position on the wheel at 10 and 2 to ensure your elbow will still be bent at maximum reach, beyond 10 and 2 reversed your arms will begin to bend more again unless the steering wheel is vertical, which would be rare.

Finally, if driving a traditional Italian car none of this works. The pedals will be too close and the wheel too far away. This is because traditionally Italians sit with their hips low and legs bent, for high speed work I have seen an Italian drive with both of his heels off the floor of the car! The Italian steers the car by shuffling the wheel through his hands positioned at 8 and 4. You will note the horn buttons on an Italian car can be operated without taking your hands off the wheel at this position. I learned to drive this way in Alfas and a FIAT. Newer Italian cars are more normal. This driving position does not work in any car built outside of Italy.

Last edited by jagular; 10-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
Driving position for street use is determined by pedal position. You want to have your right knee bent when the brake pedal is as close to the floor as possible (maximum force applied). I check this in a new to me car by placing my foot under the brake pedal and ensuring my leg can still exert full pressure.

Then, with power steering, steering wheel position is not as important as some high performance instructors appear to believe. Generally, best control of steering is given when your hands are at 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 as you prefer. Then move your hands to crossed position on the wheel at 10 and 2 to ensure your elbow will still be bent at maximum reach, beyond 10 and 2 reversed your arms will begin to bend more again unless the steering wheel is vertical, which would be rare.

Finally, if driving a traditional Italian car none of this works. The pedals will be too close and the wheel too far away. This is because traditionally Italians sit with their hips low and legs bent, for high speed work I have seen an Italian drive with both of his heels off the floor of the car! The Italian steers the car by shuffling the wheel through his hands positioned at 8 and 4. You will note the horn buttons on an Italian car can be operated without taking your hands off the wheel at this position. I learned to drive this way in Alfas and a FIAT. Newer Italian cars are more normal. This driving position does not work in any car built outside of Italy.

I never knew any of that, but I'm new to this stuff to begin with. As most of my driving will be simple 'daily driver' type activities I am interested in comfort as well. That being said, I might try to see how my current position fits with your description. Obviously, I would like to be able to mash my brakes if I need to, for example.

Darin

Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmith
I had not done that until this morning after reading a little from the posts in the link I found. It did seem to help a lot. I also increased my lumbar support and tightened the side bolster slightly to help me still feel like I wasn't sliding forward.

Also helpful was extending the seat bottom all the way out, putting my seat back (more leg room) a little more and extending the steering column out all the way. This allowed me to straighten my legs out which also reduced the pressure point. All-in-all I was MUCH more comfy on the way to work this morning.

Darin
Oh yes... I forgot about the forward/aft seat pan adjustment...

With so many controls in the seat, it can be difficult to figure out how to adjust everything (and what all can be adjusted). I'm still making little adjustments as I go, but now find the seat very comfortable...

Cheers,

- Will

Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Yeah, I played with it a little more and compared it to the recommended driving position Jagular mentioned. Now I'm very comfortable and meet what Jagular was talking about. Sounds like I'm good to go.

Darin