XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

xfr steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xfr steering rack

Hello, I am new to the forum. And just wanted to vent and ask for help from the comunity.
I just bought a 2010 xfr in mexico city. (sold a cayman s and z4m to get it).
I bought the car with 7,000 km on the clock and was told it was a super clean demo from another state dealership (Monterrey mexico). Long story short I got the car 2 weeks ago with some probloems: the leatehr on top of the dash had bubbled and the touch screen was black. (not working at all). along with the usual low battery on both keys fobs.

I read online about both issues and found out the leather on the dash could be repaired under warranty, but found nothing about black touch screen... Hopefully it won be anything mayor.....

So 4 days ago I sent the car back to monterrey on a towing bed hoping to get the above issues repaired..... Now comes the worst part, the towing guy, hooked the car on the end of the steering rack and broke it when unloading it. (He has no insurance).

Now the dealer tells me the part is 7k, I called jaguar in houston and they also told me that I have to buy the whole steering asemply for just the end joint. but they sell it for 4k plus 250 core charge... and that the screen might not be coverded under warranty...

Could you please help me by pointing me out where I could source a steering rack (I dont know if the xfr is the same as de xf), and maybe someone has also a clue about the black screen.

regards and thank you

diego garcia

Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

car-part.com is the US used parts recycler web listing site I use. Ask Jag Houston to let you know if the XF, XFSC and XFR all use the same part number for the rack.

That tow driver owes you a new rack?

The cars you traded are some of the best track cars on the market? The Jag should be faster in a straight line but both of those cars would eat it up in a corner. You must have had a baby congrats!

For the screen is anything else not working? Did you check fuses? It has a power button along the trim by the hazard lights. Try turning it on see if it works. Does it function as a back up camera?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Here is one on ebay for $448 + shipping any shop should be able to change out a rack and pinion.

2009 2012 Jaguar XF Complete Power Steering Rack and Pinion Assembly USA Made | eBay

Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM

XTRA FAST thank you for the great and fast reply!. Unfortunately the screen does not work at all. Its just black, no back up camera, no controls nothing, just black not even the jaguar logo. The car is at the dealer so I cant try to check the fuses, but will let the dealler know that might be the problem.

As fot the tow driver he does not have that kind of money to pay me right away , but wants to make it right and has offered to pay me monthly untill he clears his debt.

As for the car, You are 100% correct, we just got a new baby and need more space, I tried to keep at leat one of the two but financialy just couldnt. And after searching for e90 m3 etc, I came across this xfr wich I thought was a good deal. I guess If everything gets fixed it will be I hope I didnt make the wrong choice.

regards

diego

Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 AM

Also forgot to mention I had already seen that ebay one but, it states it is not for supercharged verisons and jaguar houston could not tell me if it was the same part number for all xfs...

Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM

fantastically fast and luxurious car the XFR. Reliability is an issue... I went to Cancun in October and saw a XF at the resort we stayed at and marveled at the brave guy driving a Jag in Mexico with no dealership network to provide service.

There is nothing especially difficult about repairing an XF its just getting the parts and the cost of the parts as you are recently discovering. Everything for the XF comes from UK and there is almost no aftermarket support.

Attached Thumbnails xfr steering rack-2012-10-17_07-26-51_659.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Desire cancun.... Nice xtra fast!, its a fun resort!!. I totally get your point, in mexico city we only have 2 service dealers. Hopefully I will find the broken end rod in the usa, but so far no luck.... and hopefully the screen will be replaced under warranty as well as the leather dash. They are giving me griefs about the warranty because I am the second owner etc etc....

I have no other option than to hope all of the above happens because if it doesnt; I am looking at some steep bills. (lcd screen was quoted to be around 6k) as for the leather dash I was quoted north of 3k. if that is the case I will take it to an upholster and have him glue it again.

regards

diego

Attached Thumbnails xfr steering rack-broken-part..jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Well some good news.... I found a new xf inner tie rod. I just need someones help to veryfy that the left and right tie rods are the same and also that all xf inner tie rods regardless if it is an xfr are the same.

Lastly the warranty wont xover the lcd screen any thoughts on where I could find a new one, they want 4k for it.

the dashboard leather has been repaired.
regards
diego garcia

Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

You bought a 2010 with 7km on the clock and the warranty won't cover LCD screen? When did the car go into service?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 AM

Yes Hl George IT SUCKS!!! Jaguar mexico claims they can not fulfill the warranty of the lcd screen because you have to have the car serviced every year regardless of the km, and the fist owner of the car did the service 1 year an 6 months into ownership.
The car even though its a 2010 was not sold untill 2011, so it should still have 2 years of warranty, but know due to the fact that the first srvice was not done within the first year they are giving me grief about it!
regards
diego

Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

That BS would never fly in Canada or the US. In order to deny coverage Jaguar would have to prove that the failure to service could have caused the fault, for example if you did your own oil change and the engine blew up due to oil related failure. There is no servicing required for the LCD screen and therefore Jaguar should replace it under warranty as the owner servicing is not relevant to this failure. Can you not complain to Jaguar directly in Mexico?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by diegogotegui
Yes Hl George IT SUCKS!!! Jaguar mexico claims they can not fulfill the warranty of the lcd screen because you have to have the car serviced every year regardless of the km, and the fist owner of the car did the service 1 year an 6 months into ownership.
The car even though its a 2010 was not sold untill 2011, so it should still have 2 years of warranty, but know due to the fact that the first srvice was not done within the first year they are giving me grief about it!
regards
diego
I would complain directly to Jaguar as "jagular" mentions above. You should not have to deal with that kind of service from a dealer, much less Jaguar Corporate!!